Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

They were up 2-1 after 1, and it was tied 2-2 after 2.

Up 3-2 after 2. Nicky scores the third goal with 30 seconds to go in the 2nd, then Carlson scored right away in the third. 

I thought the Caps were cleanly the better team, it just took awhile for the talent gap to be reflected on the scoreboard. I was also really hoping Wilson would put a bow on it by smashing the guy that went after Jensen. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ovie and Backy 900 games together.

Name a more iconic duo in DC sports history.

You know.  It's quite amazing, the legacy that Ovechkin and Backstrom have made in DC.  There isn't anyone even close to having the dynasty that the Caps have had.  Since they've actually won a cup, I think it's fair to call the Caps a dynasty.  Probably one of the best dynasties in recent hockey as well, based on regular season point production.  They won the southeast for several seasons in a row and I don't think there's ever been a Metro division champion other than the Caps.

32 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Thanks for the correction, forgot about the quick score at the end when it was 4-4.  That even makes his comment more confusing.

Well, we were dominating but the score was still 2-2 late into the 2nd.. Felt like one of those nights where we dominate play,  but the scoreboard wasn't reflecting it (until the last 21 minutes.) Our PP looked awful, their goalie was playing way above his pay grade, we were hitting posts, etc.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

You know.  It's quite amazing, the legacy that Ovechkin and Backstrom have made in DC.  There isn't anyone even close to having the dynasty that the Caps have had.  Since they've actually won a cup, I think it's fair to call the Caps a dynasty.  Probably one of the best dynasties in recent hockey as well, based on regular season point production.  They won the southeast for several seasons in a row and I don't think there's ever been a Metro division champion other than the Caps.

Yeah, a little premature. If the Caps are a "dynasty" with one Cup, what does that make the Penguins with 3 (in  the Crosby/Ov era)?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think sports dynasties are about league championships. Caps would need to win 2 more for history to look back and consider the Caps run on that kind of level. For me, the easiest comparison is the Braves team that only won one WS in all those years that they won division titles. They are remembered for the losses as much as they are for winning a single WS. Best way I could put it is would you rather have the Pens or Blackhawks 3 cups over the last 11 seasons or 1 cup and lots of division championships?

I do agree 100% that the 8/19 legacy is as special as it gets for a team. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Samsonov 7-0-0 On the road?

I like that.

I'm gonna miss Holtby, but Samsonov is taking over next season. Just no way to fit him in the cap even if they wanted to. 

Edited by Hersh