Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

That was not an awful hit from Wilson. If the dudes arm isn't up in the air over his head, it's shoulder to shoulder contact. Wilson did not leave his feet. Wilson should not get suspended for that hit. 

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Wilson was done for the season. You can't go around and keep on injuring players like that bro.

Sucks because he's actually a really great two way players with a ton of spark. Dude just can't stop making stupid mistakes when it comes to hitting people.

Why is that a bad hit. Didn't leave his feet, was going through the shoulder. Dude lifts his arm above his head which opens it up. In real speed there is no ability to react to that. 

33 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That was not an awful hit from Wilson. If the dudes arm isn't up in the air over his head, it's shoulder to shoulder contact. Wilson did not leave his feet. Wilson should not get suspended for that hit. 

Why is that a bad hit. Didn't leave his feet, was going through the shoulder. Dude lifts his arm above his head which opens it up. In real speed there is no ability to react to that. 

Proximity to the boards. blindside hit at full speed and head was first point of contact.

It was blindside so you can't blame Carlo for repositioning.  Yes if he didn't reposition, arm probably gets hit but his head probably still gets banged into the glass so its still dangerous.

At this point I'd be in favor of making hits above the waist alongside the boards illegal, at least at full speed and/or blindside

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

At some point you can’t come to the defense of all these “clean, but unfortunate” hits any longer. 

this is how i feel

caps fans usually blindly idolize wilson but he gets in too much trouble

luckily he isn't a repeat offender anymore (last incident in sept 2018) but i wish he would control himself and stop finding himself in these situations

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Proximity to the boards.

If he was a couple feet off the boards then it would be bad proximity.  Directly on the boards is one of the best places to be when getting hit.

blindside hit at full speed and head was first point of contact.

Head was not first point of contact.  First arm, then shoulder/collar-bone area.  Heck, Carlo's hand/arm made contact with Wilson's head first.

It was blindside so you can't blame Carlo for repositioning.  Yes if he didn't reposition, arm probably gets hit but his head probably still gets banged into the glass so its still dangerous.

If you go into the boards with the puck and then drop your head, that's an accident waiting to happen.  And the only thing remotely blind-side about it was that he wasn't looking at Wilson.  The actual blind-side was being protected by the boards.

At this point I'd be in favor of making hits above the waist alongside the boards illegal, at least at full speed and/or blindside

I really don't understand the blind-side argument along the boards.  Either you get someone in the front or side/shoulder area, or you get them in the numbers which is already illegal.

Edit:  Apparently the DOPS hearing has scrapped the "Illegal hit to the head" aspect, because it wasn't one, and has now decided to treat it as boarding.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1

Ugly, all of it.. Wilson probably gone for a bit. But someone other then him needs to be dropping gloves! They target him and force him to fight, I get that, but once the game was 4-0 it should of been "lets go time" for anyone on the team who knows how to throw down. We basically got push around most of the game. All that zone time means little when you can't get any pressure on goal. Can't win em' all, but need to have some sort of push back when playing playoff caliber teams. On to Sunday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

If he was a couple feet off the boards then it would be bad proximity.  Directly on the boards is one of the best places to be when getting hit.

Head was not first point of contact.  First arm, then shoulder/collar-bone area.  Heck, Carlo's hand/arm made contact with Wilson's head first.

If you go into the boards with the puck and then drop your head, that's an accident waiting to happen.  And the only thing remotely blind-side about it was that he wasn't looking at Wilson.  The actual blind-side was being protected by the boards.

I really don't understand the blind-side argument along the boards.  Either you get someone in the front or side/shoulder area, or you get them in the numbers which is already illegal.

Edit:  Apparently the DOPS hearing has scrapped the "Illegal hit to the head" aspect, because it wasn't one, and has now decided to treat it as boarding.

And it wasn’t boarding, which is why it wasn’t called during the game. NHL’s results-based discipline policy is absurd. If the guy didn’t go to the hospital, Wilson isn’t suspended for that hit. I actually wouldn’t put it past the Bruins to send him to the hospital “as a precaution” just so Wilson gets the book thrown at him. 

18 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

“Heavy Hockey”

Y'all need to pause this at the 13 second mark. Dude opens himself up on the boards. You know if you are on the boards like that you are likely to get hit. 

So it's not being called a hit to the head. Here is the boarding definition:

Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule. 

To me, the guy put himself in a vulnerable position when he lifted his arm up over his head right along the boards. Wilson glided in and didn't leave his feet. This isn't even close to some of the reckless **** Wilson did in the past. 

• Like 2

"Through no fault of his own, he’s unable to brace for contact, anticipate the hit, or protect himself in any way from Wilson who is approaching from outside his field of vision."
****, please.  He dropped his head RIGHT BEFORE THE ****ING HIT!  No chance to protect himself through no fault of his own my ass.

"What separates this hit from others is the direct and significant contact to a defenseless player’s face and head causing a violent impact with the glass."
What direct contact?  He drove through the guy's arm and shoulder.  DOPS is a ****ing joke, but sadly this result isn't shocking.

I'm sure Oshie will get taken out with another chicken wing to the head and we'll watch the offender get off unpunished again.

Guessing if there HAS to be a suspension, 7 games is manageable, 

Hopefully the Capitals can collect points today in Philadelphia, so this can be a very successful five game road trip, with points earned in four of the games

Appeal and get it reduced. Bring a bunch of video of defenseless player hits that caused concussions and no suspension was given. 

I have less of a problem with a short suspension if there was any consistency from the NHL, but there is none.

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Given his history I was surprised it was only 7 games. I don't know how fans can defend that hit, pretty safe to say, as another poster pointed out, if he played for the Devils they would have a different opinion.  

It's easily defendable. Look at the post right above yours. The NHL applies punishments unevenly, which is the biggest problem, and the NHL said it was not an illegal hit. If guys got suspended all the time for this and they were trying to take it out of the game, that's one thing. That's not the case.

• Like 2

Wilson's history is largely gas-lit.  It started with people getting hurt on clean hits and so teams started screaming bloody murder until the league started fining him for clean hits to establish a history so they could progress to inflated suspensions.

I think the real issue is that Wilson is a generational talent at hitting.  If everybody in the league could hit like he does, the rules would probably change to prevent people from getting hurt every game.  But as it is, he mostly stands alone with this ability to hit people and people don't really know what to do about it, so they convince themselves that it must be dirty.  So they over-analyze every hit in super-slow-motion and they'll find something that they can point to to make him out to be the bad guy.  They usually start with the completely irrelevant argument of a hit being "unnecessary", as if most other body checks are made only because there was no other possible play that could be made.  In this case, the NHL basically relented that from a technical stand-point, the hit was clean, but they're suspending him for the "totality of the circumstances", i.e. the result.  Nobody has ever been suspended for a hit like this before.  It's a suspension because it's Wilson and because it resulted in injury.

And while Wilson is repeatedly suspended for shoulder-to-shoulder body checks where he keeps his elbows tucked and skates on the ice, you've got actual cheap-shot artists going around slew-footing, chicken-winging, aiming for the numbers, chopping off fingers, etc. without repercussions, and those aren't plays that can be argued as simple hockey plays that went wrong or just had unfortunate results; that's demonstrable intent to inflict injury with a non-hockey play (though there is some leeway on hitting the numbers in cases where the target turns last second, I'm speaking specifically to the ones where there's clear intent)

38 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Major hit just happened in the Lightning/Hawks game... Penalty called. Major for a check to the head. Cernak headed to the locker room.  Murphy ejected.

Based on the Wilson suspension, that should be 5 games. Targeted the head, left his feet, defenseless player. 

38 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Major hit just happened in the Lightning/Hawks game... Penalty called. Major for a check to the head. Cernak headed to the locker room.  Murphy ejected.

Looked like he picked the head on that one.

Just now, Hersh said:

Based on the Wilson suspension, that should be 5 games. Targeted the head, left his feet, defenseless player. 

Based on the Wilson suspension, it should be 10 games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Looked like he picked the head on that one.

Based on the Wilson suspension, it should be 10 games.

Except his last name isn't Wilson so that downgrades the severity of it. 

• Like 2