Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

5 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

My initial thought is that this is GMBM's Forsberg equivalency trade. This will probably be the move that gets him fired, which is ironic because it's clearly a desperate move he's trying to make to keep his job. At least Laviolette is doing a good job.

This isn't nearly as bad as the Forsberg trade, and GMBMs job is not in jeopardy right now.  With this trade, the team had a good idea of what it had in Vrana after several years, and decided to move on.  With Forsberg, he was considered a blue chip prospect, and after almost 7 years of people discussing the trade absolutely nothing has come out regarding a possible reason (work ethic, injury, attitude, development) the Caps would've given up on him before he even got a chance to play for the big club.  And the guy we're getting is a solid player who is young with some upside - his best years should be ahead of him.  The guy we got in the Forsberg trade was over 30 and his best years were behind him (and even his best years were average).  It was just an awful, knee-jerk trade McPhee made in a selfish attempt to save his job with a playoff berth.  So out of character for him.

I don't like this trade overall, but I do think we're a better team now than we were yesterday.  It's just the loss of picks that may come back and bite us in the ass a few years down the road.

• Like 1

Was listening to GMBM about the trade. He said Vrana never asked for a trade and didn’t tell him he was frustrated but GMBM said he could tell he was a frustrated player with his role and playing time so they decided it was best to move on. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

We need upgrades not just people who are capable of lacing up their skates.

Caps are not hurting for blue liners. Expansion draft is why they moved (a plenty capable) Seigs.. At least they got a pick for him. They'll probably still lose a D to Seattle. They have Fehevary (and Alexeyev) protected in Hershey. 

Only bad thing about Mantha is he's a RW. He's big, can skate, plays 200' and can score/fight and is under contract for 3 years. Caps are harder to play against now, for sure. But we're bare on the LW losing Vrana, which I suppose is why they got Raffl. 

10 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Caps are not hurting for blue liners. Expansion draft is why they moved (a plenty capable) Seigs.. At least they got a pick for him. They'll probably still lose a D to Seattle. They have Fehevary (and Alexeyev) protected in Hershey. 

The goalie rules for the expansion draft could be a problem for the Caps. I'm not sure if they have to sign a veteran to meet the rules or not. Can't expose Samsonov. VV isn't eligible to be in the expansion draft. They will likely lose someone from defense otherwise, which would actually be really good if they can get a bigger salary removed. They currently have 7 guys still under contract for next season and ALL of them will be 30+ years old.

The Caps have done a really poor job of developing players over the past 4-5 years. Wilson is the youngest homegrown forward and he's 27 already. The youngest homegrown defenseman is Orlov at 29. 

10 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The goalie rules for the expansion draft could be a problem for the Caps. I'm not sure if they have to sign a veteran to meet the rules or not. Can't expose Samsonov. VV isn't eligible to be in the expansion draft. They will likely lose someone from defense otherwise, which would actually be really good if they can get a bigger salary removed. They currently have 7 guys still under contract for next season and ALL of them will be 30+ years old.

The Caps have done a really poor job of developing players over the past 4-5 years. Wilson is the youngest homegrown forward and he's 27 already. The youngest homegrown defenseman is Orlov at 29. 

AFAIK they don't need to worry about the goalies, as you said, they'll protect Sammy and VV isn't eligible. I wouldn't be heart broken if they left Dillon and Schultz exposed and protected Carlson/Orlov/Jensen. Last year Jensen would be an obvious choice to leave open, but he's playing really well in Lavi's system and isn't too expensive. Salary cap and expansion draft sucks..

22 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The Caps have scored 146 goals, which is tied for second in the league (with PIttsburgh). 

The Caps have allowed 126 goals, which is 20th in the league. 

Tell me again we're set with our blueline. 

I mean, you can put 2 Norris candidates on the ice and they'll still get scored on if the Forwards aren't doing their job.. Sure, if money and expansion draft is no object, you add whatever you want, but unfortunately that isn't the case. 

14 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

AFAIK they don't need to worry about the goalies, as you said, they'll protect Sammy and VV isn't eligible. I wouldn't be heart broken if they left Dillon and Schultz exposed and protected Carlson/Orlov/Jensen. Last year Jensen would be an obvious choice to leave open, but he's playing really well in Lavi's system and isn't too expensive. Salary cap and expansion draft sucks..

I think teams are required to have players at every position available to be chosen. Might be one of those things where they sign Craig Anderson again and he's left available for the draft. 

• Like 1