Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can The Redskins Ever Draft Skill Players?

Veryoldschool

Now Guice is out for a second year, I don't want to say bust quite yet but it just doesn't look good.  Of course, I hope the young man heals and enjoys good health whether he comes back and has a substantial career with the Redskins or not, but as a follower of the Skins, this seems so familiar, painfully familiar, I expect disappointment.  It seems like the Skins pick one flop after another at running back.  I can't remember the last homegrown winner, other than a few good years from Alfred Morris but I remember his shortlived success as a byproduct of RGIII's rushing attack. 

At QB Cousins was a pleasant surprise pick, but sadly the Skins FO fouled up a chance to secure a homegrown franchise QB or get trade value for him but other the Cousins what other QB did they pick in the last 30 years who worked out Gus Frerotte?  The rest of the many QBs were busts of one variety or another.  I guess in fairness Jason Campbell was more of a disappointment than an outright bust, but it is painful to think about how many QB flops they have picked.

How about the receivers?  I like the first look we got of Terry McLaurin, he looks very promising, hopefully, he'll become a winner but it seems like almost all the offensive skill picks during the last couple of decades have been flops. I guess Crowder is a decent player but before him, I can't remember the last receiver the Skins drafted who did anything.  I must be overlooking some winners but as far a QBs, RBs, and Receivers I can only remember a long chain of busts or disappointments.  Help me out guys, I must be overlooking somebody but who? 

Skill position players tend to fail at much higher rates when drafted to teams with a bad offense. We usually have a bad offense because we usually have a bad QB. It's also only recently that we even started spending consistent draft resources on the roster at all, go back a decade and we used to trade a lot of the picks we're at least trying to use on WR's and RB's now. 

But imo it mostly comes down to having a good, stable offense for prospects to slot into--they become a new gear in an already existing well-oiled machine rather than needing to become the savior of the offense or die trying. It's not a coincidence that the teams best at drafting WR talent tend to have elite QB's and/or long periods of stability on the coaching staff--Packers and Steelers are the best example of teams that consistently hit BIG on 2nd, 3rd and later picks at WR in recent memory. 

Stephen Davis was a multiple thousand yard rusher. 1400+ and a couple of 1300+ seasons.

I would add Chris Cooley as well - TE is a skill position in the modern NFL.

Them I’m starting to reach a bit. Michael Westbrook was not a complete bust. 7 years well over 4000 yards receiving and 20 odd TD passes. Only one thousand yd’s season though.

But your point stands.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Stephen Davis was a multiple thousand yard rusher. 1400+ and a couple of 1300+ seasons.

I would add Chris Cooley as well - TE is a skill position in the modern NFL.

Them I’m starting to reach a bit. Michael Westbrook was not a complete bust. 7 years well over 4000 yards receiving and 20 odd TD passes. Only one thousand yd’s season though.

But your point stands.

Thank you for remembering Stephen Davis, I overlooked him and he had a substantial career.  Westbrook was decent and I loved Cooley, my favorite Redskin during the last 20 years after Cousins.  I overlooked the TE position, thanks for pointing that out.

The problem with analyzing our drafting of skill players is it that their production and ability to grow is dependent on the team’s ability to groom them and what they put around them. 

Im confident the organization sucks at grooming talent and building a team that allows for a rookie receiver or running back or quarterback to reach their potential 

makes it hard to know if they’re drafting bad players or just putting them in bad spots

i view a lot of these busts as potentially ruined careers. Spending your first few years here isn’t good for you. And then your lack of production makes it difficult to go to a quality team as a free agent

Archived