Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Politics Thread

Cooked Crack

I smell a lawsuit coming up:

Gov. DeSantis signs bill to stop tech companies from censoring politicians

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a bill meant to punish tech companies that are accused of policing conservative thought.

The legislation aims to stop social media companies from “deplatforming” political candidates. It’s an apparent nod to President Donald Trump, who was banned from Twitter and Facebook earlier this year.

“What we’ve been seeing across the U.S. is an effort to silence, intimidate, and wipe out dissenting voices by the leftist media and big corporations. Today, by signing SB 7072 into law, Florida is taking back the virtual public square as a place where information and ideas can flow freely,” said Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nuñez.

The bill gives the state’s election commission power to fine media companies up to $250,000 a day for “deplatforming” any candidate for statewide office, and $25,000 per day for de-platforming candidates for non-statewide offices.

It also gives Floridians the right to sue companies that violate the law, and win monetary damages, and lets Florida’s attorney general go after these companies.

“If social media platforms are found to have violated antitrust law, they will be restricted from contracting with any public entity. That ‘antitrust violator’ blacklist imposes real consequences for Big Tech oligopolies’ bottom line,” the governor’s office said in a news release.

The Florida House voted 77-38 in favor of the bill, the Senate, 23-17.

“This bill is a retaliation for the former presidential administration being banned from social media sites by spreading false information, inciting riots, sedition, and violence,” Rep. Anna Eskamani, a Democrat who sought to kill the legislation, said in April.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, China said:

i dont understand the point of this... none of the big social media companies are out of FL, so there's only so much FL can do. (plus you agree to their terms saying they can ban you for whatever they want).

this "law" says it gives FL residents the "right to sue them". they've always had the right to sue any company they want. they'll just lose every time

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

Living here in Texas is an experience that's even worse than I expected. I think I need some therapy to come to grips that I am stuck here, hate it, but need to be near my daughter in my elder years with my health challenges. I had to be hospitalized at the beginning of the month because I thought something was going on with my brain due to sudden excruciating pain. This happened right after the WFT made a couple of draft picks. A stepped in taking care of Dancer and being at the hospital when I was first admitted. Taking me home. Turns out I had a migraine probably from a calcium supplement I started taking about a week and a half before. Neurologist says no brain problems other than the migraine. He gave me a shot to block the pain and I'm all good. I saw my doctor today for my regular appointment. Hopefully I never have another. 

So I'm grateful to be near family, but I really hate this state. And to think I moved from VA to here!

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

^^ Waaa-waaaaa

Some great comments on that one, "Guess his immunity was qualified"

“Thin flu line.”  And before people get all don’t mock the dead, this guy was worse than being a COVID denier.

Suspended for beating up inmates.  White Supremest.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, LD0506 said:

^^ Waaa-waaaaa

Some great comments on that one, "Guess his immunity was qualified"

"Duke Trujillo- Covid doesn’t exist

Covid- Duke Trujillo doesn’t exist"

Haha! Classic! Anyways, why do have to pretend someone isn't a piece of **** just because they died? Last I checked, we all die.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

"Duke Trujillo- Covid doesn’t exist

Covid- Duke Trujillo doesn’t exist"

Haha! Classic! Anyways, why do have to pretend someone isn't a piece of **** just because they died? Last I checked, we all die.

I prefer to call a dead spade a spade.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

So are they turning the murder into a federal charge and thus the local pardon doesn't protect him?

Usually wouldn't be able to turn a state murder charge into a federal case unless you give the feds a reason to be involved. Maybe his mistake was pretending to be a federal agent.

• Thanks 2

Pennsylvania's Fetterman says Republicans removed Pride flags from his office again

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, a Democratic Senate candidate, said Tuesday that state employees have again taken down his LGBT Pride flags at the behest of Republicans.

“I can’t say I am surprised, but I am deeply disappointed that the flags were removed, on the literal start of Pride Month,” Fetterman said in a statement.

“But what’s even more disappointing and angering is that the Republicans in Pennsylvania can quickly come up with legislation to take down the flags, but not to ensure that Pennsylvania law explicitly protects the LGBTQIA+ community from discrimination. This is bull****,” he added.

The Republican-dominated state legislature in November included a provision in its budget bill that called for banning the display of non-approved flags at the state Capitol, including the LGBTQ- and transgender-rights and pro-marijuana flags Fetterman hangs from his office balcony.

The provision only allows for the American flag, Pennsylvania’s state flag or flags honoring missing American soldiers to be displayed at the state Capitol or on its grounds.

Click on the link for the full article