Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD: REDSKINS VS. FALCONS

SkinsGuy

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Dline - Good but not as good as i had hoped. But Matt Ryan is a very good QB. I had hoped they would get to him more often. They started slow and did not get much pressure. However, Atl came out throwing the ball all over. In then end they made the plays to stop them. After that first drive, they tightened up. Still I was hoping to see at least a few sacks. And they let Ryan out a few times to run for yards. They need to clean that up. All in all not bad but not as dominating as i had hoped to see - like they were against Cinn. But it's just preseason. They were mostly just rushing 4 with a trailer from time to time. 

Couldn't agree more. Sweat got great pressure on a 3rd down and forced an errant pass, but where are the sacks!? Pressures are nice and all, but to have a front of four 1st round picks, we should be dominating every play. 

It almost feels like last year with our OL. We had a couple pro bowlers, a couple of studs, but didn't dominate any DL. On paper we should be top tier, but it didn't translate on the field. 

21 minutes ago, CTskin said:

How can a guy with 1st round pedigree really be this bad.

Not just that, he was a top ten pick.  I can't believe it either.  I remember people mocked the Giants for the choice at the time, and those people proved correct.

He reminds me of Greg Robinson in a lot of ways.  The NFL will draft a certain body type high, but some guys just don't have that dog in them.  Flowers is slow and soft and not mean and competitive enough to be a good starting NFL offensive linemen.

14 hours ago, CTskin said:

-Sweat made an appearance in pass rush, but didn't set the edge on a couple of rushes. Still, I'm very high on this kid.

On one rush, we were in nickel as it was 2nd and seven 7 and only had 2 DL with Sweat on the weak side. Matt Ryan must’ve switched the play from pass to run and Sweat crashed the LT as the RB ran around Sweat. However, Sweat recovered and immediately spun around and hustled to the RB and made the solo tackle. For a 260+ lb end to be able to redirect his body and catch the RB from behind for only a 2-3 yd gain was impressive, I thought. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Such a dirty and avoidable play.  This is where I wouldn't mind the NCAA targeting rule being implemented in the NFL.

Im not familiar with the NCAA rule, but if the league is serious about player safety then plays likes that should results in significant suspensions of 4-8 weeks in my opinion.

I might have the name wrong, but it looked like #48 BJ Blunt had a nice game.  Maybe even good enough to get a roster spot.  Or at least a spot on the practice squad.

We've got a nice little group of bargain bin stack linebackers.  With our DL we don't necessarily need physical marvels playing behind them.  Activity and discipline and consistent recognition are good enough to get the job done.  We've also got some depth on the outside with Anderson and McKinzy.  Enough good players to run a rotation.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Im not familiar with the NCAA rule, but if the league is serious about player safety then plays likes that should results in significant suspensions of 4-8 weeks in my opinion. 

The NCAA rule is that you get ejected for targeting on hits like that, and if it happens in the second half, then you have to sit out the first half of the next game.  There is a balance to be had between safety and not punishing defenders too much for playing fast and aggressive.  And I think the NCAA rule found the right line, although it gets misapplied at times because there often isn't enough discretion used to take into account offensive players ducking their own head into contact and using their helmet like a weapon too.

Neal is a headhunter and he has a history of walking the line and playing dirty IMO.  That was a dirty and very dangerous and avoidable play and a 15 yard penalty doesn't feel like nearly enough of a deterrent to prevent plays like that from happening.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I might have the name wrong, but it looked like #48 BJ Blunt had a nice game.  Maybe even good enough to get a roster spot.  Or at least a spot on the practice squad

Glad you mentioned Blunt. I noticed how well he played the run by filling the gap and making solid tackles. He also had a pass defense, too. I think he started the 2nd half so he must be considered 2nd team with SDH out. Seems he’s worked himself up UDFA to a possible spot on the team. At first I thought he was a safety but I see he’s listed as a LB but only 6-1 and 220lb

Looking up college videos of BJ Blunt because he's my new man crush player and what little I can find is a fun watch.  He's fast and aggressive and he likes to play in the backfield.  On the small side as a converted safety, but not too small to work.  Get him out on the field on kick coverage and see if he develops into anything down the road.

So is Flowers really that bad? He got torched at least 3x that I saw.. Thought it was an overall solid game. Wanted to see a little more pressure on the QB from the D. Running game obviously looked good. Some key drops hurt. Least they looked competent, which is no small task.. Atlanta kinda gave us the game with the muffs, but that's football!! Hope JR is ok.. Sucks he took a unnecessary hit to the melon. League wants those hits gone, but 15 yards really doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Looking up college videos of BJ Blunt because he's my new man crush player and what little I can find is a fun watch.  He's fast and aggressive and he likes to play in the backfield.  On the small side as a converted safety, but not too small to work.  Get him out on the field on kick coverage and see if he develops into anything down the road.

Doesn't Blunt remind you of another smallish UDFA linebacker, with a lot of energy, who actually had a...well, "similar" last name ?

Nico Marley ?

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

On one rush, we were in nickel as it was 2nd and seven 7 and only had 2 DL with Sweat on the weak side. Matt Ryan must’ve switched the play from pass to run and Sweat crashed the LT as the RB ran around Sweat. However, Sweat recovered and immediately spun around and hustled to the RB and made the solo tackle. For a 260+ lb end to be able to redirect his body and catch the RB from behind for only a 2-3 yd gain was impressive, I thought. 

Sweat is going to make some OL coaches sweat during their gameplanning this year.

People are nit-picking over a rookie during preseason. Our DL Is going to be nasty!

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I have no idea what game you were watching.

Was the Redskins offense the greatest show on turf?

No, but they weren't "pooh", either. They moved the ball reasonably well. 

Sure, there were hiccups, but what do you expect with 2 new QBs running things? It will take time for them to get completely comfortable.

Wow, I have no idea what game YOU were watching.  Our starting O scored 6 points at the half.  In the NFL, thats not good.  In fact, that would be league worst, against one of the worst defenses in the league.  That is pooh.  That is the type of pooh you call the doctor after because of how concerned you are.  In 3 games so far, we have average 6.67 at the half.  We had 280 yards.  We have averaged 254. We had one drive over 41 yards in the first half, and 2 in the game.  That during the regular season would make us the worst offense in the NFL.  If you think that is okay, you've really lost the plot and drank the kool-aid.

8 minutes ago, jbird said:

Sweat is going to make some OL coaches sweat during their gameplanning this year.

People are nit-picking over a rookie during preseason. Our DL Is going to be nasty!

I can’t believe there’s nit-pickers as well. Look at the Falcon’s second drive:

3 yard run 1st & 10 ATL 20

(12:25) M. Ryan scrambles right tackle to ATL 23 for 3 yards (M. Sweat)

3 yard run 2nd & 7 ATL 23

(11:37) (Shotgun) I. Smith left tackle to ATL 26 for 3 yards (J. Moreland; Montez Sweat)

Pass Incomplete 3rd & 4 ATL 26

(10:56) (Shotgun) M. Ryan pass incomplete short left to A. Hooper (M. Sweat)

Punt

That series had Sweat on every play. That’s called ‘taking over’ or ‘domination’.  And Sweat had only a couple weeks of TC while he nursed his calf?  Wow!

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Wow, I have no idea what game YOU were watching.  Our starting O scored 6 points at the half.  In the NFL, thats not good.  In fact, that would be league worst, against one of the worst defenses in the league.  That is pooh.  That is the type of pooh you call the doctor after because of how concerned you are.  In 3 games so far, we have average 6.67 at the half.  We had 280 yards.  We have averaged 254. We had one drive over 41 yards in the first half, and 2 in the game.  That during the regular season would make us the worst offense in the NFL.  If you think that is okay, you've really lost the plot and drank the kool-aid.

Yeah we should be running up the score in preseason Spurrier Style BRO!!!! That will work out great for the regular season.  We should have Played AP all night too.  Why didnt we throw Bombs to Doctson.  FREAKING CHILL.  Its preseason were not running our full playbook.  

20 minutes ago, jbird said:

If you are referring to my mentioning no sacks, not nit-picking at all. I think he did really well. The entire line did a nice job. But I would have liked to see them finish a few times. They disrupted and made Ryan rush the ball. That's great. But they also lost contain and let him run several times and gave up late completions. that's mostly on the line.

I am really excited about the potential this line has. But that does not mean they walk on water. they have yet to regular season game together. And from what i saw last while at the game, they still have some work to do. Which is totally expected. No problems with it. But the results are still the results. And I still say to be a more complete performance I would have liked to see Matt Ryan on the ground a few more times. 

7 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Yeah we should be running up the score in preseason Spurrier Style BRO!!!! That will work out great for the regular season.  We should have Played AP all night too.  Why didnt we throw Bombs to Doctson.  FREAKING CHILL.  Its preseason were not running our full playbook.  

This and even more this!!  

I could care less about the scores in preseason. They were clearly working on the run game last night. They were very committed to it. And it was good to see. Nice series after the first muffed punt. 3 runs and a TD by Perine. When you can run like that, it will open your passing game up, No need to demonstrate that in preseason. And they were running pretty well in the first half too. Now the 1st and goal at the 1 was not good. But they are working on things like they should in preseason, 

Not saying it was flawless. Not by a long shot. But the game was not the complete disaster it appeared to be from reading the comments.  

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There are certain eternal laws of football.  The team who dominates the line of scrimmage almost always wins is one of them. 

Those Giants teams weren't just a defensive line though.  They had an awesome offensive line too, and stability at QB.  They won on both sides of the line and that's the real championship formula.  You can win with a dominant defense and a trash OL, but you have to thread a tiny needle and your QB has to be Russell Wilson good.

weren't they 9-7 regular season teams...i.e. barely above .500...

19 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Oh, wow, a new fan!

Someone that has never seen a Redskins season before, and thinks we are just "saving our playbook" which apparently every team we are playing in preseason arent doing?  And we are just TRYING to be bad, because we dont care, because its just preseason!

Yay!  How our starters play in pre-season means nothing except for in every season in the history of the NFL!  Yay!  Everybody dance!

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This and even more this!!  

I could care less about the scores in preseason. They were clearly working on the run game last night. They were very committed to it. And it was good to see. Nice series after the first muffed punt. 3 runs and a TD by Perine. When you can run like that, it will open your passing game up, No need to demonstrate that in preseason. And they were running pretty well in the first half too. Now the 1st and goal at the 1 was not good. But they are working on things like they should in preseason, 

Not saying it was flawless. Not by a long shot. But the game was not the complete disaster it appeared to be from reading the comments.  

Yes, we were clearly trying to miss throws, drop passes, and do poorly in the passing game because we wanted the running game to succeed, which it did, to an amazing 3.9 yards per carry and 6 points from the starters!  Finally someone gets it and makes the same excuses people say every preseason that turn out to be false but we forget about!

That was a complete disaster for the offense.  6 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

28 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Oh, wow, a new fan!

Someone that has never seen a Redskins season before, and thinks we are just "saving our playbook" which apparently every team we are playing in preseason arent doing?  And we are just TRYING to be bad, because we dont care, because its just preseason!

Yay!  How our starters play in pre-season means nothing except for in every season in the history of the NFL!  Yay!  Everybody dance!

Yes, we were clearly trying to miss throws, drop passes, and do poorly in the passing game because we wanted the running game to succeed, which it did, to an amazing 3.9 yards per carry and 6 points from the starters!  Finally someone gets it and makes the same excuses people say every preseason that turn out to be false but we forget about!

That was a complete disaster for the offense.  6 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

"I think we all know a good football team when we see one"  If someone could link this thread maybe you will understand. 

Im a new fan?  ok? Im no old head but I have been die-hard since 1991.  

The Pats scored 10 points last night. Keenum threw for more yards then Brady did.  Now im thinking your just a Troll.  

57 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

No you are just unreasonable.

I can be patient with two new QBs as they get acclimated to the team.

But I guess you expect them to be Tom Brady right now and score 35 points a half.

Its not kool-aid I'm drinking, but you seem to enjoying the lemon juice. :)

9 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Oh, wow, a new fan!

Let's take each mistake and extrapolate that into an entire season, mistakes made during - wait for it - a preseason game when you should be making mistakes. LOL There is a new QB that never played for us before. A basically rookie RB. A patchwork Oline. And BTW the Falcons are 4th in D this year in preseason since preseason means so much to you. And during the first half, the team ran for 4.6 yds/carry. Not steller but definitely better than 3.9 which is actually also not horrible. Also, they had a TD called back on a run by Guice on a questionable holding call. And we got more yds than their average so no we did not put them in 4th. 

No one said it was perfect or even great. It's preseason. Overall they did some nice things and there are things they need to work on.  And yes I will say it every year no matter what the season turns out, if for no other reason than to watch people like you lose your ****. 😂   Oh and it also happens to be accurate, not false at all. 

What's hilarious is when you try to provide a balanced view, you get trashed by the - It ****ing sucks no matter how much it doesn't and you also get trashed by the - Why are you nit-picking the team when you point out the positives but also point out they have things to work on!   

giphy.gif

Image result for damned if you do damned if you dont gif

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

weren't they 9-7 regular season teams...i.e. barely above .500...

They were six seed wild cards those two superbowl years.  It's weird because those seasons were sandwiched around better regular season teams, but those were the ones who went the distance.  Maybe they had some injuries that got sorted out in the postseason.

When you back at those teams, it's not a great group of skill players, especially on the 2011 team.  2007 had Burress and Shockey, but not much else.  Quarterback was mediocre, if steady.  Linebackers were nobodies outside Kiwanuka, who was essentially an edge rusher.  The secondary was OK, but nothing special.  But they had absolutely iron clad offensive and defensive lines.  It shows the importance of those position groups.

I look at pre-season as a progression. A new QB, a rookie QB, a new OG & LT, a new safety, a rookie OLB, young guys from last season a year older, etc..  You cannot argue that we haven’t seen progression over these past few weeks. Yes, there is still two glaring question marks over Case Keenum and the left side. But even those two areas have shown progress. We definitely have a ways to go, that’s for sure. Hopefully the next two weeks will continue the upwards progress, especially when the coaches can put all of their attention to the starting 22 and not the 90 men they have now. 

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Oh, wow, a new fan!

Miserable fan is miserable.

Archived