Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Photography

LadySkinsFan

Does anyone sell their individual photos and on what platform? Someone (I don’t know) has asked to buy one of my photos for their own use.

Not that I’m expecting to make money so I would not be interested in building my own site, just a way to sell the occasional one.

I remember back in 2007 I started up a shutterfly account. Just used it as an online gallery kind of thing and people would pick which photo and I would order it. It was relatively inexpensive and quality of printing wasn't bad either. No idea if that is still an option though. 

On 5/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, Corcaigh said:

Does anyone sell their individual photos and on what platform? Someone (I don’t know) has asked to buy one of my photos for their own use.

Not that I’m expecting to make money so I would not be interested in building my own site, just a way to sell the occasional one.

If you ever sell one of your photos, make sure that you have them sign a license agreement that specifies you as the photographer and copyright owner and you are selling them the photo for their personal use and not for commercial purposes. Never hurts to be safe than sorry. It helps if you can physically sign the print.

5 hours ago, PCS said:

I remember back in 2007 I started up a shutterfly account. Just used it as an online gallery kind of thing and people would pick which photo and I would order it. It was relatively inexpensive and quality of printing wasn't bad either. No idea if that is still an option though. 

Fulfilling print orders sounds like work 😀.

Wondering if a stock photo site has decent margins would be a good path, and would handle licensing.

And now with NFTs I wonder how long before many consumers will not even want physical prints, and use digital displays. But regular photos, rather than digital works of art, probably won’t be sold as NFTs anytime soon.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

My daughter turns 14 the end of this month and she is asking for a DSLR camera.  I'd really appreciate any advice you all can offer.  She's very creative and artistic and we want to encourage her interest in photography.  She's been using her iPhone or a point and shoot for a while.

There are some real expensive options out there.  Anything entry level you all could recommend?  She'd be fine w/ used if there is a good platform (Ebay?) or a base model new that we can add to over time (lenses/filters...etc).  Perhaps an older model that is still readily available?

Appreciate the help.

GV

Yep. Way too many options. ;)  I daydream a lot looking at some of them,(some as expensive as a nice car). Just out of curiostiy,what kind of point in shoot. Sometimes makes the transition to a dslr easier if there are good options by the same maker. Also,there are some awesome compact camera systems out there that are classified as "point and shoots."

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Hi all.

My daughter turns 14 the end of this month and she is asking for a DSLR camera.  I'd really appreciate any advice you all can offer.  She's very creative and artistic and we want to encourage her interest in photography.  She's been using her iPhone or a point and shoot for a while.

There are some real expensive options out there.  Anything entry level you all could recommend?  She'd be fine w/ used if there is a good platform (Ebay?) or a base model new that we can add to over time (lenses/filters...etc).  Perhaps an older model that is still readily available?

Appreciate the help.

GV

Sony, all day.  Gave up Canon years ago, don't miss it.  

24 minutes ago, PCS said:

Yep. Way too many options. ;)  I daydream a lot looking at some of them,(some as expensive as a nice car). Just out of curiostiy,what kind of point in shoot. Sometimes makes the transition to a dslr easier if there are good options by the same maker. Also,there are some awesome compact camera systems out there that are classified as "point and shoots."

Thanks for the reply guys.  The one she is using now is, much to SS's chagrin, is a Canon.  It is a PowerShot A2600.  It is pretty old.  Maybe she doesn't need a DSLR and there is another option that would allow for more tweaking of settings / filters / etc.  I have been reading up on stuff over the last couple days but honestly there is so much conflicting information that it is making my head swim........so here I am asking for a little advice.  Appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Thanks for the reply guys.  The one she is using now is, much to SS's chagrin, is a Canon.  It is a PowerShot A2600.  It is pretty old.  Maybe she doesn't need a DSLR and there is another option that would allow for more tweaking of settings / filters / etc.  I have been reading up on stuff over the last couple days but honestly there is so much conflicting information that it is making my head swim........so here I am asking for a little advice.  Appreciate it.

Yep. You find that as well out there. Sometimes,it just depends on the person giving the info or doing the review and their own personal biases on brands and such. Though I have found some general consensus where reviews are concerned between some of the bigger sites. DPreview,Cnet,pcmag,digital camera world. Sometimes that's a good start. 

Some of the really nice point and shoots that let you have more control are close to the same cost as a good entry level DSLR,(or in some cases even more expensive),but they can be limited on what they let you do. I'd recommend,(imho),an entry level,(usually an aps-c sensor),dslr. Preferably mirrorless,(more expensive sometimes,but lighter and that's where things are heading imho. A lot more options for the user on those. Sony has set the standard when it comes to mirrorless especially. Though other makers are catching up or trying too. They all have some good deals on bundles too. 

Adorama and B&H photo have some deals on used ones at times and they're pretty good places to go. Amazon as well but have to be careful on the seller. Best Buy offers black tie service on some cameras and man that saved my butt in the past. That said,don't fall asleep on the smaller camera shops. Many are certified to repair all the cameras they sell and that's important. They also can let you have the chance to go hands on the camera before buying and that's a very good thing. Camera just has to feel right. :) Something to think about. Hope that helps a little.  All imho of course. :)

• Like 1

Here's what I did years ago and I recently gave my camera gear worth thousands to my granddaughter. 

I like a website called FredMiranda. They review all kinds of DSLR models, lenses and other accessories. I decided on a Nikon D200 because I could buy other Nikon manual lenses and learn the manual way without using film. I eventually bought several manual lenses from KEH. KEH is located in Georgia not far from Atlanta. They rate the photo equipment from bargain to new. I'm thinking of selling my brother's Nikon film cameras that my SIL gave me after he died. I eventually bought a couple of Sigma auto zoom lenses. FredMiranda also has sale forums and forums where folks post their photos, very interesting.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/

https://www.keh.com/

This is one approach, to buy a good used body and if she continues, trade up to something new. Lenses are an expensive investment. Then consider accessories.

PCS has good recommendations too.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A Teenager’s Photos of 1970s Brooklyn NYC

Booklyn-1970s-44-1200x827.jpeg

Brooklyn NYC Elevated BMT Train 1978 MTA Grafitti 70s

Booklyn-1970s-29-1200x957.jpeg

Anthony Dad John & KISS Albums 1978. 1978 – How we were able to get dad to pose with these KISS albums I’ll never know. I played then and he thumped his foot then he asked me to put on Grandpa’s Pavarotti’s LP.

Booklyn-1970s-2-1200x804.jpeg

Female Wanted T-Shirts 10th Ave 42st Boys & Bike Babe Boro Park Brooklyn 1976

Booklyn-1970s-46-1200x415.jpeg

Boro Park Intersection 13 ave & NU – B Train 55th St Station ’77

Click on the link for more

• Like 3