Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Photography

LadySkinsFan

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thought you said you were thinking about getting a new camera?

Oh yea.  I got a Nikon D7200 for personal use and a D750 for work.  That pic was taken with the D750 and a Tokina 16-28 2.8.  Used Lightroom on a MacBook Pro for the merging.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, Corcaigh said:

I'm thinking of spending some time learning more about photography. I have an old (2009) Nikon D60, 10.2MP. Is that serviceable or would you recommend a better body?

A good photographer will take a great shot on anything, whereas a poor photographer will think that the best equipment will take the best shot.  How wrong they are!  I have a Nikon P900 which did what I wanted, at the time.  Since I no longer take photos, my camera is just gathering dust!

On 3/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Corcaigh said:

I'm thinking of spending some time learning more about photography. I have an old (2009) Nikon D60, 10.2MP. Is that serviceable or would you recommend a better body?

That will do. MP won't make you a better photographer. You can be a gearhead/technical photographer and know specs out the yin-yang and you can take great photographs. And you have many many successful top rate photographers, like Annie Liebowitz, who care more about the artistic side of the medium. MP matter on how big you want to enlarge an image. The lens, glass, is probably MUCH more important than body.

It's akin to the standard question jazz musicians get: "can you read sheet music?" "Not enough to hurt my playing."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to love playing around with film cameras (particularly in grad school when i lived right next to campus, and could use the darkroom for free).   I've got a bunch of film cameras, most of which were chosen because they were pretty, and most of which were purely mechanical (i had to carry a light meter with me).  Ive got all sorts of old exactas and knock-offs of Rollei TLRs, and a few more "modern" (from the 60s, or 70s :) )  cannon rangefinders and a couple of Pentax .... all fun to play with.    But now a roll of film, fully developed and with prints costs about $50, cradle to grave.

.....so........... for a while i used a fuji fine pix point and shoot ... until it broke.  

.............now i use cellphone cameras and a gopro......       

all in all moving in the WRONG direction for the fun of composing and setting up your own pictures on your own terms (getting to choose your own depth of field, and speed and whatnot...)

i'm really not all that serious about photography, and realize it would just be a waste of money to buy any real good quality stuff......   but i WOULD like an older body that was considered fairly decent in its day, and one decent lens.     

question to all you grizzled old DSLR veterans.... what older body would be cheap but "good enough" to fart around with???    

(emphasis on cheap... because i really am a cheap bastage)     

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

question to all you grizzled old DSLR veterans.... what older body would be cheap but "good enough" to fart around with???    

(emphasis on cheap... because i really am a cheap bastage)     

I like my Nikon D200 and I have several older Nikon manual lenses. Look for a nice midrange zoom for the composing experience. Or buy an auto focus zoom. Check out KEH Camera online, they are a reputable seller and have a pretty good selection. That's my advice and personal experience. Although I bought my D200 when they came out. I've never traded up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to our property in Orange County, VA yesterday.  My sister took pictures of a Fence Lizard I found which has some severe deformities (perhaps due to an attack it survived at some point).

EvdoI9o.jpg

Here's a top down view where you can see the zigzag in his tail:

iCEchJA.jpg

And a large spider I found, she's looking to see if she can make the leap to sink her fangs into my throat:

vGpe1dj.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Was down doing some mowing and came across a couple of snakes.  The larger one (4-5 ft.) wouldn't hold still for me so I only got a picture of his head:

YeC43nw.jpg

The little one I found I picked up and put down where I could get a picture.  It was only about 5 in. long, so probably a juvenile.  Anybody have any idea what kind of snake it might be?

7YY35yl.jpg

• Like 2

This is a picture of a camellia blossom on the plant that I planted for my mother a couple of years before she died. It grew to about 15 feet tall and bushy. The investor who bought the house cut it down to about a foot. It was so beautiful!

IMG_20160717_113350481.jpg

IMG_20150401_185456745.jpg

• Like 5