Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can We Just Tee It Up Now?

Veryoldschool

Had my summer vacation so now my thoughts turn to football.  I have no idea what to expect, or maybe I want to ignore what I expect and hope for more.  I think I picked 6-10 in a prediction thread awhile ago and I guess I don't really feel more optimistic now but I am eager to have it get started.  Sure, I'd love to have a better season than I really expect but at this point, I am just eager to see them play.

We got some new guys I want to see them play and I hope the OL holds up much better than I really expect and we surprise the NFL and have a lot of fun this year, despite my tepid expectations I almost feel we are overdue to get lucky, maybe things will break our way this year.  Who else is Jonesing for them to tee it up and get going? 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Lets do it.

Never to early to start feeling disappointed and depressed on Sundays.

I'm on living the sunny side of the street as long as I can, aren't the Skins due for some luck?  Maybe the OL is healthier than the last 2 seasons would indicate.  Whatever the case I got the itch that only football can scratch, it's the greatest sport every invented and it's one my passions and while I not going force my mind to yield to my heart I'm not going to suppress whatever slender shoots of hope from sprouting.  No, sir I am going into this season with some faint hope if not conviction that we are going to have some fun this fall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsgLzgH_po

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not even sure why we're even going to bother to watch, when we know we're going to win virtually every game.

Kind of takes all the fun and suspense out of watching.

I tried to explain that to my mom when she picked up that jam..she said it doesn't matter we still watch as a family..so I guess I'm stuck having to watch.

Usually only takes until about week 6 for me to realize that somehow the offseason full of hope, FA, the draft, and training camp hype were actually more fun than getting pissed off and disappointed every week of the regular season...or even worse just being resigned to it. And yet I come back every year because I can't help it. 

Here's to another one. 

14 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Usually only takes until about week 6 for me to realize that somehow the offseason full of hope, FA, the draft, and training camp hype were actually more fun than getting pissed off and disappointed every week of the regular season...or even worse just being resigned to it. And yet I come back every year because I can't help it. 

Here's to another one. 

One of these years it's going to be different, why not this year?

TBH, its difficult for me to get excited about this season.

I'd love nothing more than to see the Skins start off the season looking strong and playing like mid-season form, but I've gotta realize a couple things.

1. This is Gruden's 5th season? Typically this is the 'make or break' year, where he has to have this team making noise { in a positive way } or he will be out the door.

2. Every year has been a slow decline in overall record, and I don't see that trend changing.

3. There is a lot of question at QB, and who, if anyone, will really take the lead and be an eye-opener?

4. Bruce Allen. As long as this bumbling fool is associated with the organization, dysfunction will be a huge dark cloud over the team.

Maybe its just me, I'm not exactly getting any younger, but damn, this team has been nothing short of a disappointment. We find a gem player here and there, take the cheapskate route contracts with the player, and he leaves.

Probably my biggest fear is the HC. A good HC continually changes and adapts, uses the strengths of a player to the team's advantage, not putting them in precarious positions where the player is a non-factor.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't have a good feeling about this season.  Something in the back of my head is telling me the organization will be making news in a big way, but it won't be positive...

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

TBH, its difficult for me to get excited about this season.

I'd love nothing more than to see the Skins start off the season looking strong and playing like mid-season form, but I've gotta realize a couple things.

1. This is Gruden's 5th season? Typically this is the 'make or break' year, where he has to have this team making noise { in a positive way } or he will be out the door.

2. Every year has been a slow decline in overall record, and I don't see that trend changing.

3. There is a lot of question at QB, and who, if anyone, will really take the lead and be an eye-opener?

4. Bruce Allen. As long as this bumbling fool is associated with the organization, dysfunction will be a huge dark cloud over the team.

Maybe its just me, I'm not exactly getting any younger, but damn, this team has been nothing short of a disappointment. We find a gem player here and there, take the cheapskate route contracts with the player, and he leaves.

Probably my biggest fear is the HC. A good HC continually changes and adapts, uses the strengths of a player to the team's advantage, not putting them in precarious positions where the player is a non-factor.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't have a good feeling about this season.  Something in the back of my head is telling me the organization will be making news in a big way, but it won't be positive...

I feel it too but it is time to set aside our worse fears and give way to hope.  The defense should be really good and surely the offense will be improved if the OL can hold it together.  Our owner and his president & GM must feel the OL is good to go because they didn't go all-in on OL with their top picks so we can only conclude the doctors told them the OL can be expected to be healthy this year.  As July draws to an end I am hard at work nurturing some preseason hope 

I’m ready for week 1 sooooo badly. Im ready to see how Guice does, and i think He’s going to do great. I’m ready to see how the receivers do, and i think they’ll be great too. Richardson is healthy, i think he’ll start where he left off, catching TD passes. The new WRs sound like they’re turning heads in training camp. 

Im excites to see Kerrigan get another 10+ sack season, and to see Norman cause more fumbles, and to see what Landon Collins can do. 

I dont think our schedule the first 5 games seems AS daunting as it looks on paper. Maybe we catch Philly sleeping week 1 and beat them. Week 2, we play Dallas. We beat them at FedEx last season, so who knows. Week 3, i think We can handle trubisky and make that a good game. Week 4 Vs the giants? LOL NEXTTTTT. Week 5 Vs the patriots, yeah i dont see how we win that one, BUT we did almost bring them to overtime in 2011 with Rex grossman at QB, sooo🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows. 

Its all on the QB play and the QB play is dependent on the cast.  There are so many factors to consider, Is Guise healthy, does peterson still have gas in the tank, Does Trent Williams come back, Does Doctson step up ? I could go on and on..... 11-5 .....3 -13  I Could see anything happening with this team. Based on our luck....3-13 is a safe bet.

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I feel it too but it is time to set aside our worse fears and give way to hope.  The defense should be really good and surely the offense will be improved if the OL can hold it together.  Our owner and his president & GM must feel the OL is good to go because they didn't go all-in on OL with their top picks so we can only conclude the doctors told them the OL can be expected to be healthy this year.  As July draws to an end I am hard at work nurturing some preseason hope 

I know, and I don't mean to pee in anyone's Post Toasties,  but I just don't feel it. Yet.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but one of the main issues I have is seeing players, and at times the entire team, mail-it-in on certain games, especially primetime games. The 'game' against the Saints was a good example of them absolutely falling apart, and it appears that Gruden doesn't have an answer for adversity, even in his 5th or 6th year as HC.

They desperately need an 'identity player', but who is gonna step up and put the team on his shoulders? I'm certainly not holding my breath on Doctson; with the college hype he had, he should have been to multiple pro bowls by now, but he can't seem to shake an 80 yr old man who has a crutch and 1 good eye.

What I'd love to see is the entire team, to lay off the showboating every time they make a first down or make any type of play. Geez, they act as if they've single-handedly won the SB, and i'll be damned if the very next play they don't turn around and screw the pooch, so to speak. Make a good play, yea, sure, get a high-5 or a slap on the butt, but gyrating around like some superb freak has really turned me off, especially when they're down 20 in the 4th.

Get, and maintain a team-first mentality. Go out there, don't try to be a hero, and just do your f'ing job, and hopefully they do this enough, under the radar, and keep their poise, and for god's sakes DON'T LISTEN TO THE MEDIA!!! 

Play the game passionately; play for the team that gave you a job, and prove to them you were worth every dime, and when the praise starts up, point to the next guy and say its all because of him. When I see these players do this, THEN I will feel they've grown as a team, mentally. The rest of the stuff is downhill from there...

@Malapropismic Depository I’ve been ready since i watched our 2018 year in review on NFLN. They went into our d line and Matt ionaidis, Jon Allen, and daron Payne being beasts stopping the run that 6-3 start, and our offense not creating any turnovers. Man. If our  offense and defense can get to AT LEAST that level....watch out. 

Ughh....40 Days until Philly? Seriously? 

Just....so... confusing to me...in a season where the writing is on the wall that there is no chance of the skins winning 6 games and yet everyone is so excited for the embarrassment to begin..but when we have what looks to be a promising season no one is excited for it.

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Just....so... confusing to me...in a season where the writing is on the wall that there is no chance of the skins winning 6 games and yet everyone is so excited for the embarrassment to begin..but when we have what looks to be a promising season no one is excited for it.

I'm not confident about the year but if we ignore our fears and take a quick look at the upside for a minute there are reasons for some hope.  First, the defense should be pretty good and maybe very good with a dominant DL that will be even more effective with Sweat on the edge.  I've seen Sweat play multiple times and I think Sweat will be very disruptive and the first rookie to have a significant impact.  Sweat could end up being the pick of the year for the Skins.  Then add to a good defense pretty good special teams.  The Skins have a good kicking game and that is important over the course of a season so it comes down to the offense.  So the Skins are good on 2/3 of the units but what about the offense? To this, I ask what does the offense look like if the OL stays healthy?

I am on record, I'm Mr. Negative about the OL.   I wanted the Skins to devote the last two drafts to the OL, I wanted the first three picks used this year to rebuild the OL because I fear the tackles are finished and the interior is still weak but what if they aren't?  What if the team doctors are confident they both have a lot of good miles left and the last couple of years have just been bad luck?  The Skins drafted like that is what they have been told by the doctors and it's possible they are right.   Even with good health, I upfront I don't expect the Skins to be better than mediocre given the issues at QB and WR but if the Skin offense was indeed average and balanced with good defense and good special teams they could win the division.  The NFC East doesn't look that good to me.  I'm not predicting this but what if the OL line holds up and Keenum or one of the others can manage to produce on a middle of the pack basis?  If that happens I think the Skins have a shot. 

I don't expect much from Dallas or NY and I'm not sold on Philly, who may have traded away their best QB in favor of their favorite one.  I would have kept the QB that won a Super Bowl and came close to engineering another Super Bowl run but they chose the twice badly injured, golden boy, instead.  Philly healthy and productive has the most upside but maybe they will just limp along this year and the Skins stay healthy and win the division with a 9-7 or 10-6 record.  I wouldn't bet on it but if the OL is surprisingly healthy I think the Skins have a punchers chance.  A guy can invest some hope in a punchers chance.

10 wins.  I think we should do 10 wins "easy".  Consider the facts:

Fact #1: Last year, with a lesser team, we were well on our way at 6-3.

Fact #1a: The downfall started with Smith going down.  We got better at Quarterback, both starting and backup.

Fact #2: Our defense is NASTY

Fact #3: No team has committed more $$$ to the offensive side of the ball, we may be a surprise there

Fact #3a: Don't forget we have young studs coming back like Guice

Fact #4: Based on 2018 records, we have the easiest strength of schedule this year.  (Some how the cheaters have the second easiest)

Archived