Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Weight discrimination is rampant. Yet in most places it’s still legal.

Springfield

Maybe it’s really just a capitalism thing.  Lots of money to be made fattening people up and nearly as much to be made helping them drop the weight.

Not much profit potential in guys like me that stay fairly active and settle into “Dad Bod Excellence”* for the duration.

*you know it when you see it

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Reason why NO ONE is obese:  Someone else victimized them.

You might want to look into the correlation between trauma and obesity. A tremendous percentage of the people with eating disorders have a history of trauma. Kids have limited avenues of coping from their trauma and in many cases, it's not therapy, family support, or even compassionate medical professionals. It's food. 

But I understand the majority of your argument supporting personal responsibility. And at the end of the day, the individual is ultimately responsible. I just hope we can live in a society that is more encouraging and supportive of people with eating disorders without coddling or encouraging people to be fat. 

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I just hope we can live in a society that is more encouraging and supportive of people with eating disorders without coddling or encouraging people to be fat. 

This is where I am. 

Also appealing to personal responsibility when judging a 30 year old when their issue manifested when they were 10 is hard to jump on board with. You’ve got 20 years of bad habits formed by a 10 year old caused by <insert long list including trauma> 

Add this to the list of things we could make better if people simply weren’t assholes to others. I remember when the Chad Dukes thread devolved (many times I’m sure) into just ridiculing him for his weight. I popped in and said that’s ridiculous, plenty to ridicule him for besides weight, seemed like petting middle schooler ****. I got blasted for it. Was sad and pathetic. 

18 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm interested in this discussion.  Should employers be totally barred from hiring based on looks?  Would you go to a strip club where the girls were 400 lbs and their face looked like it had been lit on fire than put out with an ice pick?  Should a bank be able to not higher a teller over looks?  What about a call center worker?  

I think it is a difficult issue.  One I am interested to see discussed.  I honestly don't know where I fall in the debate yet.  And to oblige PokerPacker, for many it is, at least in large part, a lifestyle choice.  

I can tell you whats going to happen: so 500 pound man is going to try to join the police academy and be refused over his weight. This will be a ploy to start a precedent in the courts, it could seriously go either way.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, as long as your weight doesn't affect your job than it shouldn't matter. Obviously, you don't want obese fire fighters and police, but if its your job to sit at a desk all day...who cares?

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

+1 on cheap and easy meals need to be healthier

I'm pretty lazy when I cook dinner, chicken/steak/fish/porkchops, they all go in the oven. Set it and come back in like 45 minutes when its close to done. I buy cheap, frozen, microwavable veggies (some only cost a dollar). Granted, I have a labor intensive job, but I'm lazy when its time to cook and I've been "accidentally" healthy for the most part. However, I've discovered that there is about 20 different flavors of instant mashed potatoes...I might be in trouble.

15 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I'm pretty lazy when I cook dinner, chicken/steak/fish/porkchops, they all go in the oven. Set it and come back in like 45 minutes when its close to done. I buy cheap, frozen, microwavable veggies (some only cost a dollar). Granted, I have a labor intensive job, but I'm lazy when its time to cook and I've been "accidentally" healthy for the most part. However, I've discovered that there is about 20 different flavors of instant mashed potatoes...I might be in trouble.

Cook? 45 minutes?  That may not be a problem for you and me (I do same thing as you a lot), but think you missing my point.  A lot of people dont know how to cook or have time consistently to do it, like working families.  And fast food is some of worst stuff for us, with places like Panera feeling incredible niche and frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Cook? 45 minutes?  That may not be a problem for you and me (I do same thing as you a lot), but think you missing my point.  A lot of people dont know how to cook or have time consistently to do it, like working families.  And fast food is some of worst stuff for us, with places like Panera feeling incredible niche and frustrating.

I understand what you're saying completely, I'm just saying that I'm one of the lucky ones. However, I'm not above stopping somewhere and getting something to eat because I don't feel like cooking, I have the time, but not always the energy. I mainly don't eat out so save money, finances have been a bit iffy lately.

I have a friend who has two kids, she has her husband pick up dinner a lot because she doesn't want to cook because she's worn out. Also, her husband WILL NOT eat vegetables, under any circumstances. I don't know, eating healthy is hard. Especially if you don't have the time/money/energy or all three to do it.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Its all about context of the job and business. Yes, strip clubs and places like Hooters are allowed to discriminate on the basis of weight or looks because it could adversely affect their business. But a fat accountant doesn't hurt anyone.

Those are easy to decide.  What about an IHOP waitress?  Or a bank teller?  Really any business that has face to face contact with the customer could argue that attractive employees are good for business.

Stick all the fatty's in call centers?

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Also the foods that are easiest to prepare, for a family at least, are the worst for you. That’s the biggest issue we face trying to eat healthy.

This argument is too simplistic. Frozen and canned veggies require a few minutes in microwave. 

Bagged salads are everywhere now. Pre-cooked chicken breast and Turkey breast are easily available. 

It takes planning....yes education, prep time, money.....it isn't mindless, but ones health rarely is. 

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I can tell you whats going to happen: so 500 pound man is going to try to join the police academy and be refused over his weight. This will be a ploy to start a precedent in the courts, it could seriously go either way.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, as long as your weight doesn't affect your job than it shouldn't matter. Obviously, you don't want obese fire fighters and police, but if its your job to sit at a desk all day...who cares?

This is why there are fitness tests. This is how they get around this. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Those are easy to decide.  What about an IHOP waitress?  Or a bank teller?  Really any business that has face to face contact with the customer could argue that attractive employees are good for business.

Your wife used to manage a call center....you are on a roll on this thread ❤️

11 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

This argument is too simplistic. Frozen and canned veggies require a few minutes in microwave. 

Bagged salads are everywhere now. Pre-cooked chicken breast and Turkey breast are easily available. 

It takes planning....yes education, prep time, money.....it isn't mindless, but ones health rarely is. 

I don’t view canned vegetables as healthy 

I’m not saying your overall point isn’t valid, it is. 

5 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

You might want to look into the correlation between trauma and obesity. A tremendous percentage of the people with eating disorders have a history of trauma. Kids have limited avenues of coping from their trauma and in many cases, it's not therapy, family support, or even compassionate medical professionals. It's food. 

But I understand the majority of your argument supporting personal responsibility. And at the end of the day, the individual is ultimately responsible. I just hope we can live in a society that is more encouraging and supportive of people with eating disorders without coddling or encouraging people to be fat.

Correlation, however, does not equal causation.

Just now, tshile said:

I don’t view canned vegetables as healthy

Any particular reason?  Quick hit on search engine brought up this:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/canned-vegetables-healthy-3874.html

First sentence:
"Canned vegetables can be just as healthy as fresh vegetables, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics."

Just now, tshile said:

I thought they had preservatives in them ? 

I think the idea of canning is that everything is sanitized and sealed and thus doesn't need any preservatives.  A quick search showed that some do use preservatives for flavor reasons, and also not all preservatives are bad, giving the examples of Salt and Vitamin C (granted salt should be taken with more moderation than we currently give it, but the likely alternative to canned vegetables likely has more salt anyways*)

*pure conjecture.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Interesting topic and discussion. 

I'd just like to point out that two hilarious things have happened in this thread that made my day. One is the exchange between @TheGreatBuzzand @thegreaterbuzzette, the other is @twaclaiming that he's never been to a Hooters.

Glad to do so. We're pretty fun at parties. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I thought they had preservatives in them ? 

Preservatives do not always unhealthy make. Low sodium options. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But IHOP's entire business premise isn't based around attractive waitresses. Hooters is.

49 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Correlation, however, does not equal causation.

Any particular reason?  Quick hit on search engine brought up this:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/canned-vegetables-healthy-3874.html

First sentence:
"Canned vegetables can be just as healthy as fresh vegetables, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics."

Go to the Dollar Tree and pick up a can of Green Beans or Popeye's Spinach and look at the amount of sodium in it.  Whether its a preservative or whatever, the difference between that and frozen vegetables is noticable enough that I stopped filling up grocery carts in dollar stores to get by.

Just because you're cooking doesn't mean you're eating healthy, hamburger helper will flip your stomach into an acid chimney if you eat too much of it.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Go to the Dollar Tree and pick up a can of Green Beans or Popeye's Spinach and look at the amount of sodium in it.  Whether its a preservative or whatever, the difference between that and frozen vegetables is noticable enough that I stopped filling up grocery carts in dollar stores to get by.

Just because you're cooking doesn't mean you're eating healthy, hamburger helper will flip your stomach into an acid chimney if you eat too much of it.

How does the sodium compare to that the alternative unhealthy food people are eating?  And what about the canned vegetables from somewhere that isn't the Dollar Tree? (granted I don't know what kind of grocer is actually available in "food deserts", if we're assuming that to be part of the issue)

I'm certainly not arguing that one should pick canned over frozen.  Frozen tends to be more palatable to my taste.  The question, though, is whether there are healthier things people can eat without breaking the bank, and canned vegetables seems like a reasonable place to try to get some nutrients.

Canned vegetables usually have a no-salt option. I use green beans for my dog's food, and finding salt free isn't hard. I buy the cheap libby's in wal Mart and typically they are about 98 cents per can.

HealthiER is the first goal. Folks need to put down the processed carnival food masquerading as 'dinner', and at least make an effort. There really aren't any excuses not to.

~Bang

Archived