Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So Trump is bombing the ME cause he got impeached.

No this was a long time coming. Heck just last year tanker bombings, drone shoot downs, major missile attacks, etc.etc. Escalations with no response.  Now a major kick in the teeth response.  I'm sure the Iranians are in a bit of shock over this as they probably expected us to kill some of their peons.  Soleimani was the guy I had been suggesting that they kill in debates around the office for a long time.  He thought he was untouchable and this sends a message that no one is.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What did 9/11 have to do with the Iraq war? You realize it's been almost 20 years since that talking point fizzled and left the earth?

9/11 had nothing to do with the Iraq war. The neocons wanted war with Iraq all through the 90’s. Cheney was foaming at the mouth after 9/11. Was it Saddam is all he cared about.

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

9/11 had nothing to do with the Iraq war. The neocons wanted war with Iraq all through the 90’s. Cheney was foaming at the mouth after 9/11. Was it Saddam is all he cared about.

Go deeper - 9/11 was related to the Persian Gulf war. That war resulted in a major expansion of US forces in the Middle East with forces directly in Saudi Arabia as well, which became an irritant that influenced the development of Al Qaida. If the Persian Gulf War had never occurred (This was on Saddam) 9/11 almost certainly wouldn't have either. 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Soleimani was the guy I had been suggesting that they kill in debates around the office for a long time.  He thought he was untouchable and this sends a message that no one is.

Funny you should bring up the debates because when Hugh Hewitt asked Trump about Solemimani, he had no clue who the hell Hewitt was talking about. Trump did manage to say "Kurds" a whole bunch of times though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Going out with a bang? 

remember i posted the day he was elected he'd do a wag the dog during his admin while under threat from some major scandal or ten

along with all the other scary stuff i told ya that's turned out to be right...i just hope i'm wrong in worrying about it being too far gone to undo--as in he and his crew have won and have enough rigged ****/stooges in palce by now at all pertinent gov't agencies and will be increasingly aggressive in ignoring long standing and important precedents and even laws with complete gop support to hold onto power and "forever win the culture war"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

also, to focus on something different, it's hard to imagine the trump admin a) did this because it was the best move, and b) took all the necessary precautions (including fully understanding the ramifications of an action like this) before proceeding

Not official news, but I saw Deutche Bank trending on twitter. There were some news organizations (nothing prominent yet) reporting that a whistleblower had talked with the FBI and informed them Trumps loans were backed by Russian state banks, laundered through Deutche. I mean, at this point, it seems obvious this is true, but if there's proof of it, it's huge news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Funny you should bring up the debates because when Hugh Hewitt asked Trump about Solemimani, he had no clue who the hell Hewitt was talking about. Trump did manage to say "Kurds" a whole bunch of times though. 

Remember who you are responding to - criticizing Trump for his ignorance isn't going to get me riled up.  He wasn't wrong to kill Soleimani. Saw a tweet I meant to capture where someone posted that a lot of people have got it backward -paraphrasing - If a President is given a chance to kill Soleimani  it would be hard to justify not killing him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Remember who you are responding to - criticizing Trump for his ignorance isn't going to get me riled up.  He wasn't wrong to kill Soleimani. Saw a tweet I meant to capture where someone posted that a lot of people have got it backward -paraphrasing - If a President is given a chance to kill Soleimani  it would be hard to justify not killing him. 

There's been the opportunity to kill him for years.  The guy doesn't exactly hide his presence.  

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

There's been the opportunity to kill him for years.  The guy doesn't exactly hide his presence.  

I for one have wanted him killed for years (And there aren't many people I can say that about).

Edited by nonniey

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Between our intelligence agency and military capabilities, they could likely take out any person they want to.  That isn't the point, nor is "hey we took out a bad guy"  No one is crying over the guy itself being dead, but unfortunately foreign policy isn't as simple as "take this guy out and you've fixed the situation"

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Between our intelligence agency and military capabilities, they could likely take out any person they want to.  That isn't the point, nor is "hey we took out a bad guy"  Again, no one is crying over the guy itself being dead, but unfortunately foreign policy isn't as simple as "take this guy out and you've fixed the situation"

Understood I just have a personal stake in it.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The military Industrial complex along with major oil and gas companies would never let the ME get totally wiped out. Not to mention wiping out that size region would require nuclear weapons which would have a bit of a side effect on the rest of the world. 

It always amazes me how this one simple fact is so ignored.  They supply 64% of the world's oil. How do you replace that and have the world not enter the 2nd great depression? It cannot be done. That's why everybody puts up with that region, and that's why Obama increased American oil production, to help us not be so reliant on the ME and its power over us.

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I for one have wanted him killed for years (And there aren't many people I can say that about).

I'm happy he's dead though I wish he had died a lot sooner. 

That said, I remember how optimistic a lot of people were when Chavez died and I was worried that his little known successor Maduro was crazier and more dangerous than he was.

• Like 1