Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

For all of Trent's injuries, maybe he has missed so many games in part due to our shoddy medical staff?? Patching him up and making him play subjects him to other injuries, as he compensates.

It would be so us for Bruce to refuse to trade him and refuse to try a different medical team.  Can we set some sort of record for most injuries 3 years in a row?

Knowing us this will drag on for 2 years, as Bruce ignores 1st round/good offers from teams that lose their LTs. All to try to stick it to Trent financially.  Hopefully the media will stop asking Jay about Trent at every press conference to preserve our sanity.

Reading all the Keim tweets and exchanges seems like they might test Trent's resolve into the season and they might want a player in the deal to help their win now mode. 

If they get a player I doubt the pick compensation would be that high unless the player isn't that big.   Personally I prefer to get picks. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/while-redskins-say-they-wont-trade-him-3-teams-active-pursuit-trent-williams-source

We won't get to Labor Day and Trent Williams is still a Redskin," one league source said of the situation.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading all the Keim tweets and exchanges seems like they might test Trent's resolve into the season and they might want a player in the deal to help their win now mode. 

If they get a player I doubt the pick compensation would be that high unless the player isn't that big.   Personally I prefer to get picks. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/while-redskins-say-they-wont-trade-him-3-teams-active-pursuit-trent-williams-source

We won't get to Labor Day and Trent Williams is still a Redskin," one league source said of the situation.

We'll see. I agree that there is no rush before week 2 of the preseason. I think around opening day you'll have contending teams looking at their LT situation thinking "what if that's what is the difference between a title run and not?"

Yes, he's 31. Yes, he's oft injured. Yes, he's been suspended a few times.

Maybe a Houston or New England think they can keep him on the field all year. If they think their 1st round pick will be around 30-32. Why not?

Schefter on the radio just now.

Suggested that he thinks they could get a first round and change (judging by past trades)

He thinks they absolutely can get at least a first rounder and doesn't think they'd trade him for less than that.  A first being the minimum

Said his report doesn't mean that they won't trade him, its just their current stance

Multiple teams have called them

He said he doesn't know the root cause of Trent's gripe.  He's heard things but isn't confident to land on a position.

Schefter didn't want to reveal the teams so I gather they or the Redskins told him to be quiet about it

He's gotten no indication that the Redskins are willing to trade him.  He said they are a stubborn-strong minded group in that FO. 

On one hand, I understand why the team would dig in... No organization wants a player to set the tone where they can simply say they want out and then let them go (to rephrase, an org. like New England CAN do that, maybe the Steelers but not many others). But at the same time, I'm a believer of: "If you don't want to be here, we don't need you here". That kind of attitude is absolutely destructive to the cohesiveness in a football locker room.

Fans don't always understand it. Even hardcore fans that know everything about the game. And you can't understand unless you've been in football locker rooms (NFL, NCAA, HS). When these guys are missing, the team talks about it. Not in front of the media necessarily. But behind closed doors. They talk about the contract demands, they talk about how they're going to replace the player, they talk about their opinions on the situation. 

Which is perfectly normal. The problem is that it creates internal strife in the locker room. And it may not be immediate or apparent. 

Scenario:

Player A: "Yeah man I'm with Trent. He deserves money. The team hasn't done what it needed to with him."

Player B: "Nah man, anyone who holds out and straight up says they refuse to play for the franchise no matter what is hurting the team. I don't have any respect for the way this is going down. There's better ways to get his money."

Player C : "He's gotta do what he's gotta do"

Player B: "It's just Shady."

*6 months later Player A is in a situation he wants more money and asks the team for it and is in a hold out situation, and he knows Player B and other's have that same feeling, thus creating some unease*

It's a double edged sword. But I'm a big proponent of moving on from anyone who doesn't want to be around. And it doesn't need to be bitter and nasty. It can just be a simple: "yeah, okay. Thanks for all you've done. We've traded you to Cincy."

That or you sit down ASAP and work it out fast before it festers.

This is festering. That isn't a good thing.

I see it this way

1) Anything offered for Trent won't be much different than one if we wait till next off season UNLESS a team really needs him for 2019. I see NO benefit of trading for a "fair" pick now..because you'll get that before the next draft for the same draft.

2) You can roll his cap # into next year

Just tell Trent we'll trade him next off season and be done with it if thats what he wants

I hope thats what is happening...need a #1 or wait till next year. Period

In the off season you are competing with impending FA and the draft.  Trent is also then a year older.  I don't think your leverage is up but down in that context.

Right now, teams are stuck with the rosters they have.  The season is right in front of them and they can't fix anything via the draft or with whatever is left in FA.  You just got trades.  Some teams like the Texans have precarious situations at LT.  I think playing coy and waiting until late August is smart -- if that's their play ala Keim's speculation. 

2 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I see it this way

1) Anything offered for Trent won't be much different than one if we wait till next off season UNLESS a team really needs him for 2019. I see NO benefit of trading for a "fair" pick now..because you'll get that before the next draft for the same draft.

2) You can roll his cap # into next year

Just tell Trent we'll trade him next off season and be done with it if thats what he wants

I hope thats what is happening...need a #1 or wait till next year. Period

And here's where that plan falls short:

1) Another year on Williams. Playing or not, he's older. Decline in value

2) Injuries may have healed, but a year off leads to some rust. Decline in value.

3) Waiting means less leverage for the Skins in negotiations and likely a smaller return. Decline in value.

4) Holding him ransom doesn't help the Redskins Front Office reputation. Decline in organizational value from an already low point.

If we moved him now we'd get more in return, eliminate locker room opinion divide, put ourselves in "need a replacement" mode, and get a little good PR for not holding the guy ransom. Now is the time. Pull the damn band-aid off.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And here's where that plan falls short:

1) Another year on Williams. Playing or not, he's older. Decline in value

2) Injuries may have healed, but a year off leads to some rust. Decline in value.

3) Waiting means less leverage for the Skins in negotiations and likely a smaller return. Decline in value.

4) Holding him ransom doesn't help the Redskins Front Office reputation. Decline in organizational value from an already low point.

If we moved him now we'd get more in return, eliminate locker room opinion divide, put ourselves in "need a replacement" mode, and get a little good PR for not holding the guy ransom. Now is the time. Pull the damn band-aid off.

I understand that but if all that is being offered is a 3 at best now...I'd wager that you'd get a 3 for him in off season. IF we can get a GOOD return..absolutely for the reasons you mention. I'm just advocating the FO set a goal that is beneficial to the Skins. A #1 or a 30's low 40's pick # 2. would be a win/win. I just wonder what the FO thinks is the pick# for 2019 and does that change as LT's drop because of injury during the season..do you wait till week 10 to see if a injury enhances our position.

Again, I'm saying it has to be a pick lower than a 50's/ 60's #2  to pull the trigger in 2019 vs waiting

Going back to my preferred position stated earlier..Give Trent + 2 mil/yr with performance guarantees to games played and keep him if it's about Money.

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Suggested that he thinks they could get a first round and change (judging by past trades)

He thinks they absolutely can get at least a first rounder and doesn't think they'd trade him for less than that.  

On one hand, we need Trent in a bad way yet I don’t think we’re going to get into the playoffs with Colt or Case. If this is the case and we could end up with a 1st rounder and some change, that could be HUGE in next year’s draft. Trade one of the two 1st rounders and we might be able to plug the last few holes. 

21 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

1) Anything offered for Trent won't be much different than one if we wait till next off season

I think Trent’s value is higher now than next season. Similar to what SIP replied, it’s the market that determines value and price. Next new league year, there’ll likely be a half dozen free agent LTs that lower Trent’s asking price. But, you’re right, if there isn’t a team now that has the trade capital, then you wait. Contract-wise, the Redskins are in the cat bird seat. It’s just a shame we don’t have a good replacement for Trent, at the moment. But I’m pulling for Geron!

We get a 1st for Silverback and I'll drive him to Dulles myself. He's over 30, injured often, and to be honest hasn't been GREAT since 2016. Lots of penalties and gets beat by quicker edge rushers regularly.

After another preseason game or two, some contender will lose an OL to injury and will be more desperate to make a trade.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lots of penalties and gets beat by quicker edge rushers regularly.

Wait until you see whoever replaces him.  I'm not against trading him - but that has less to do with his play and more about the fact that this team won't be ready to compete while he still has gas in the tank, if ever.  Left tackle is the one position we've been fortunate to not have issues with for a long time.  Have to get lucky to keep that going.

On a side note, just saw a blip about AP speaking with Josina Anderson of ESPN.  Says Trent's absence is felt daily at practice - edge rushers are getting around to the QB and RB fast and it's not been good.  Also says once Trent's mind is made up, it's made up.

Regardless of whether the FO is truly willing to trade Trent or not, I think it is smart to hold onto him as close to the beginning of the season as possible as you will have injuries going on around the league coupled with contenders who might see a guy like Trent being able to fill a hole or upgrade a major position on their team.   The situation is not great but at the moment it is favorable because everyone else is getting the work and reps needed at LT, where as if Trent somehow ended up still on the team and playing during the season I wouldn't be worried about him not being game ready relatively quick. 

Some interesting quotes about Trent from Peterson. I can’t post it via my phone.

Basically he said he thinks Trent’s absence is effecting Haskins. Asked point blank if Trent might change his mind about coming back, he goes no.  But he then hedges and suggested it wouldn’t surprise him either way.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some interesting quotes about Trent from Peterson. I can’t post it via my phone.

Basically he said he thinks Trent’s absence is effecting Haskins. Asked point blank if Trent might change his mind about coming back, he goes no.  But he then hedges and suggested it wouldn’t surprise him either way.

If he isn't going to change his mind, talking about the difference he makes to Haskins is completely irrelevant and wasted energy.

Trent and the team need to sit down. Talk. And be real. No games. If there is NO WAY Trent is playing for Washington again, move him. Now. If there is a way, and he'll be happy, fix it. Either way, the stand off needs to end now.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Effecting Haskins.............because the left side of the line is garbage without Trent anchoring it? Or did he not elaborate?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

If he isn't going to change his mind, talking about the difference he makes to Haskins is completely irrelevant and wasted energy.

Sounds like he was just answering a question.  One I’m sure they would have preferred he didn’t answer the way he did, but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Effecting Haskins.............because the left side of the line is garbage without Trent anchoring it? Or did he not elaborate?

Specifically said guys are getting home on the edge to the QB and the backs.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sounds like he was just answering a question.  One I’m sure they would have preferred he didn’t answer the way he did, but it is what it is.

That's not relevant to my point, though. My point is: If he's not coming back, get rid of him and stop the wasted energy on "well, if Trent was here!" thoughts. It's toxic.

If he may come back, get his ass back.

Time to **** or get off the pot with this whole thing.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If anyone here can go on Twitter they can pull it and put it on the thread, I can’t do it via my phone. Finlay reposted it.

he was answering questions from J. Anderson.  I took his comments as simply meaning that the LTs in camp haven’t been hot.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not surprised to hear AP stumping for Williams. They are close and have trained together the last few offseasons.  I think they co-own a training facility together and TW is the reason AP even came to us last year for a tryout.  

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

Not surprised to hear AP stumping for Williams. They are close and have trained together the last few offseasons.  I think they co-own a training facility together and TW is the reason AP even came to us last year for a tryout.  

Yep they are close. I don’t know the context of why the interview happened but it looks like Peterson was simply answering questions posed to him.

Archived