Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

57 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Trying to think of benefits for the FO to wait it out:

If he sits out the entire year, and doesn’t collect any money, that’s unspent cap dollars. Can they be rolled over to next season?

Yes, that's what the Steelers did with bell last season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bell-cap-impact-124688672/Amp/

A big plus if Trent doesn't play is with the 9 mil he would forfeit this year that will be rolled over, and the approximately 12 mil he forfeits next year, that makes it a little more palatable to cut the cord with Alex Smith next year.  Designate him as a June 1st cut in March 2020 and we can start to shed that albatross.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

@KillBill26 thanks. I knew his contract rolled over but we wouldn’t have actually put any money out so i figured there must be some benefit or relief in that scenario. At a certain point he’d have to return to playing to collect anything because that money would be freed up year after year 

not my preference. Just a thought exercise I don’t remember seeing 

47 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Yes, that's what the Steelers did with bell last season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bell-cap-impact-124688672/Amp/

A big plus if Trent doesn't play is with the 9 mil he would forfeit this year that will be rolled over, and the approximately 12 mil he forfeits next year, that makes it a little more palatable to cut the cord with Alex Smith next year.  Designate him as a June 1st cut in March 2020 and we can start to shed that albatross.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

no june 1st next year it's a "final league year" and from the looks of things there will be a cap next year despite that

I don't buy what Sheehan is selling here. It just doesn't add up. He's just rehashing the stuff we've already heard from DHall, Santana and others; and now adding something that has probably been sent down to him from the front office to make Williams seem as though he's overreacting to something that was normal and in no way the team's fault.

Those awards - the one he mentioned - don't mean a hill of beans. Who else endorsed the medical staff? Next thing you know, Wyllie is gonna have some local beat guy telling us that the staff has the highest satisfaction rating in the league, according to J.D. Power & Associates. Come on, Sheehan. I have more faith in reporting and insights offered by Keim, who is more credible because he's measured and very judicious with his use of information given to him by sources eager to get something out there that might be agenda-driven. He knows how to filter. Far too many of these twitter-happy pseudo journalists do not. This is just a smidgen over 20 minutes, but worth a listen:

http://johnkeimreport.libsyn.com/website/the-trent-williams-crisis

10 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Now when he eventually did go to another doctor they said it appeared very serious to the extent he was told to get his affairs in order . To me this second oppinion - spurred Trent into action but was wholey irrisponsable of the doctor involved . Until you know something is serious then the best practice is to not worry the patient because all stress does is make things worse .

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it probably didn't happen the way you heard it. That sounds more like stuff you'd see in a movie than in real life.

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

What is it you feel Sheehan is selling?

The whole “The team told Trent to go get a second opinion and he did and now he’s mad at them for it” scenario that Sheehan shared on his podcast.  

It makes no sense whatsoever.  It reminds me of a relationship I was in long ago where I just made stuff up to make myself feel better about dumping her.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The whole “The team told Trent to go get a second opinion and he did and now he’s mad at them for it” scenario that Sheehan shared on his podcast.  

It makes no sense whatsoever.  It reminds me of a relationship I was in long ago where I just made stuff up to make myself feel better about dumping her.

Well...that story is as believable as anything...so...who's to say it isnt true

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Really?  I think even the most ardent FO supporters here acknowledge how stupid that story sounds.  It’s possible  nobody in Ashburn did anything wrong, but highly unlikely it went down like that.

You know what I find unbelievable? A mega-millionaire with access to any doctor in the world doesn’t get a second opinion on the lump on his head, regardless of what the team doctors told him.  

If i develop a lump on my head, I’m getting at least 2 opinions to make damn sure it’s nothing serious, and I don’t have 1/100th of Trent’s means. 

That’s what just boggles my mind. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Really?  I think even the most ardent FO supporters here acknowledge how stupid that story sounds.  It’s possible  nobody in Ashburn did anything wrong, but highly unlikely it went down like that.

All I am saying is that it is just as likely as someone getting fired over a donut as every theory we've already heard.

So to definitively say that 1 story is absurd over the other is ludicrous in ny mind.

We've heard nothing from anyone. If the 2nd opinion story was false I'm sure TW would have refuted it immediately 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You know what I find unbelievable? A mega-millionaire with access to any doctor in the world doesn’t get a second opinion on the lump on his head, regardless of what the team doctors told him.  

If i develop a lump on my head, I’m getting at least 2 opinions to make damn sure it’s nothing serious, and I don’t have 1/100th of Trent’s means. 

That’s what just boggles my mind. 

No doubt.  Which is why there has to be more to the story.  Or Trent is just an entirely naive and overly sensitive guy all the sudden.

8 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Exactly. So why believe one story over the other?

I don’t believe any story.  All I’m certain of is there has to be more to the story than what Sheehan reported.  I have heard players and former players on the radio, that lean away from what Sheehan reported.  Santana said he spoke with personally and his story brought him to tears, and he thinks Dan is the only guy who can fix it and that Trent should talk to him.  Smoot said from what he’s hearing, it’s not as clean as what Sheehan reported and that there is and has been discontent amongst the players against the medical staff for some time now. AP said he didn’t know anything about Trents situation.  Those are the only people I’ve heard speak about the situation who are actually close to Trent.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t believe any story.  All I’m certain of is there has to be more to the story than what Sheehan reported.  I have heard players and former players on the radio, that lean away from what Sheehan reported.  Santana said he spoke with personally and his story brought him to tears, and he thinks Dan is the only guy who can fix it and that Trent should talk to him.  Smoot said from what he’s hearing, it’s not as clean as what Sheehan reported and that there is and has been discontent amongst the players against the medical staff for some time now. AP said he didn’t know anything about Trents situation.  Those are the only people I’ve heard speak about the situation who are actually close to Trent.

So...all you're doing is proving what I said. There is no reliable story, because no one who has spoken directly to TW has been able to coraborate the others story...

It's like a tale.of 2 TWs

59 minutes ago, Xameil said:

So...all you're doing is proving what I said. There is no reliable story, because no one who has spoken directly to TW has been able to coraborate the others story...

It's like a tale.of 2 TWs

The media does and says what they want. Perfect example is the Browns vs Skins preseason game. I saw multiple articles talking about how good the Browns looked against the Skins while missing there top two WRs. Not one article mentioned that the Skins had like 2 starters on defense. The articles were to busy making Baker look like a god. 

19 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Thanks for the links. So Trent’s dead cap hit this year is $5M but drops to $1M next year which makes cutting him after the 2019 season tempting, if he played this season. Meaning, Trent’s leverage to extend his contract or hold out this time next year would’ve been paltry. I can see why, from a contract perspective, he chose this off season to hold out.  However, he’s risking a ton of income plus the Redskins would get the $9M cap relief rollover towards the 2020 season - seems like the Redskins have the leverage contract-wise, cap-wise and cash-wise. 

For me it still comes back to Trent being hurt a lot, and spending so much time away from the team, but not taking ownership of his health. You'd think in Texas he was getting the full James Harrison treatment.

He's an adult and veteran in the league while being paid very well. If that were me, I'd go through everything with the team docs to be compliant with the CBA, and then get a 2nd opinion on everything and anything. Especially when the team has to pay for it. Not doing that seems stupid.

Archived