Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Another WR is a massive roster need. Flipping between us going LB or WR with our next pick after presumably taking Young. 

Depends what's on the board. Even outside of those positions.

On a side, we now have 2 of the ES Conglomerate Draft Rankings in. I'll @ a bunch of you tomorrow to remind you about Friday's "deadline"

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

After Chase Young, the nice thing about having so many holes--anyone fits a need (except DL).  LB, WR, TE, OL, CB, S...all have needs.

Agreed. BPA all draft because the cupboard is so bare. Pure best talent infusion to the roster. This will be a fun draft and I can't wait!

DRAFT NUGGETS:

Maybe Washington won’t take Young with the second overall pick. But what I can say is they’ve been aggressive in cross-checking their information on him, and are poised to sit right where they are and take him second overall. Again, the tire-kicking on Tagovailoa made sense for more than one reason. First, you make sure that you’re not passing on, as one person there put it to me, “Michael Jordan.” Second, you might smoke out some offers, so you can better ascertain the value of the pick. My guess would be Young is too sure of a thing for them to pass on, much like his ex-teammate Nick Bosa was last year.

Word’s been persistent that the Lions want to move the third pick. And it’s not that they don’t like the players there. More so, it’s that they’d like, say, Okudah or Isaiah Simmons at No. 5 or 6 with a few more picks to use down the line. It was pointed out to me that Lions GM Bob Quinn, over 21 NFL seasons, has never been with a team holding a top five pick. So his comfort level with moving down would be understandable, as would his desire to maximize the kind of asset he’s never had.

We’ve said that Simmons would be great in a Patriots-type of defense, and that makes the run of teams at No. 3, 4 and 5—all of which run New England defenses—a very interesting one. My sense is the Giants are considering him at No. 4 against the offensive tackles, and maybe Louisville’s Mekhi Becton (who has questions about his ability to make weight and his on-field consistency, despite his freakish ability) in particular. GM Dave Gettleman, of course, valued linebackers in Carolina, having paid Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis and drafted Shaq Thompson while he was there. And I know this about Gettleman: As he said after taking Saquon Barkley second overall, he firmly believes you have to get a generational, All-Pro type talent when you’re picking that high. Both Simmons and Becton have that potential.

Tagovailoa’s situation is fascinating. If the Lions can’t move the third pick, the Dolphins decide to pass on him in favor of Justin Herbert or even, say, Simmons or a tackle (which I think is wholly possible), and the Chargers don’t take him at 6… then what? Interestingly, it feels to me like Chargers GM Tom Telesco’s scouting report is an awfully important one for the Alabama quarterback right now. Few doubt his playing ability. But, as an old coach once said, the most important ability is availability, and the durability that’ll determine that remains a question mark here.

A player teams like more than the general public knows: Auburn DT Derrick Brown. He’s a very clean prospect with a high floor, and a lot of teams’ decision-makers would be surprised if he makes it past the Panthers at No. 7. I’d put the Jaguars down as another team that’s been connected to him, so much so that Jacksonville may get aggressive in trying to trade down if he’s gone when they pick at No. 9, to be better position to get a receiver or corner.

So we’ve got Detroit and Jacksonville as trade-down teams. I’d toss the Niners and Raiders in that mix too. The Raiders don’t have a second-rounder. The Niners, thanks to trades for Dee Ford and Emmanuel Sanders, don’t have a second-, a third- or a fourth-rounder. I’ve heard both teams would like to fill in the holes they have between picks there. And while San Francisco has the bigger gap (no picks between 31 and 156), they do have two first-rounders to work with, thanks to the DeForest Buckner trade. I’d say, at this point, it’s more likely that they move the 31st pick than the 13th.

The Niners could take a left tackle if one falls to them (I’ve heard they’d like to keep Mike McGlinchey on the right side long-term), but count them with the Raiders as teams that could be in play to pull the first receiver off the board. A couple teams mentioned to me that Jon Gruden is looking for, specifically, a ‘Z’ receiver and Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy is the prototype for that (even if CeeDee Lamb’s a little more of the gritty type that Gruden likes). As for the Niners, Kyle Shanahan values speed, and has gotten a lot out of players like Taylor Gabriel and Marquise Goodwin in the past, and Bama’s Henry Ruggs would qualify as a supercharged version of that.

O.K., so who is looking at trading up? Three teams that seem to be investigating it pretty pointedly: Tampa, Denver and Atlanta. The Bucs and Broncos, I’ve heard, could be going up for one of the top four linemen (Becton, Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs and Andrew Thomas), making Jacksonville’s slot, at No. 9, a potential hotspot, given the needs the Browns and Jets have at 10 and 11. It’s not as clear what the Falcons would be pursuing, though GM Thomas Dimitroff has always, in the past, been more proactive than most in looking at the option of moving up.

It’s a relationship business, and there are rumblings that Kyler Murray has given the Arizona brass a glowing review of his former teammate Lamb. Would the Cardinals take one, given that they have DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and Christian Kirk on their roster, and drafted three of them last year? I’m skeptical, particularly with how nicely a big-time right tackle like Wills would fit the bill. But it’s worth keeping an eye on anyway.

TEN TAKEAWAYS

More draft details. So here’s the latest on what the NFL draft will look like, as it comes to you in 10 days. The ESPN/NFL Network simulcast will be helmed from the World Wide Leader’s campus in Bristol. And commissioner Roger Goodell will, indeed, be announcing the picks from a camera set up in the basement of his home in Westchester County, just north of New York City. To make sure all this is efficient, there’ll be a mock draft held among teams, with fake trades and everything, early next week to test the technology. And each team will be connected to the league in multiple ways. Primary among them will be a Microsoft Teams conference, with each team allowed to have up to three officials patched in from their homes. As a backup, there’ll also be a league-wide conference call, through which teams can make picks and trades. And to provide another failsafe, each team will be tasked with designating a “decision-maker” (be that the head coach, GM or owner), and that decision-maker will be allowed to have one IT support professional on hand at their house. Obviously, there are a lot of moving parts here. But I can tell you, after the stories I’ve heard the last few weeks, it’ll probably be necessary. Remember, these teams are trying to move technological resources that are supported by palatial facilities with wired, business-grade internet. You don’t just make that all go at someone’s house by pushing a few buttons.

There is an upshot here. Lots of teams I’ve talked to, after some fits and starts at the beginning, have actually really taken to the current setup, believing they’ve become more efficient in cutting out the clutter that working in an office can create. And obviously, owners are seeing savings, especially those that have routinely flown in and housed scouts from all across the country for the two or three weeks leading into the draft. “I could see this changing everything for us,” one NFC exec said. “It allows you to be more efficient, you’re saving money, and honestly our meetings have been better than ever before. There’s not as much bull----.” And you can count new Panthers coach Matt Rhule (who I wrote extensively about last week) among those who are seeing the benefits. “We were utilizing our Microsoft Teams [on Wednesday], [GM] Marty [Hurney] and myself, the entire offensive staff and some of the auxiliary people, just taking turns going through everyone on our draft board,” Rhule told me. “Everybody does that all across the NFL, obviously we’re doing it from our own houses, our own apartments everywhere. But we’re able to do it, just the same way as we would do it back in the facility. What ends up happening is you just have really focused time, where nobody’s walking in and saying, ‘Hey, Matt, I need to talk to you for a second.’ Or, ‘Hey, Marty, I need to talk to you for a second.’ We’re just all locked in on this computer screen for hours at a time.”

Decided to give those mock draft simulators a try last night...the joys of lockdown...and man I found it very frustrating once our opening 4th rounder was gone.

Without trades, picking at #2,#66,#108 not a problem. After that so much talent has been wiped clear.

Tell you what, if someone like the Jets are offering us a 3rd for Trent, I’d be saying give us your other 3rd and you can have our 5th back. Even later 4th.

Instead is having 3 picks by #108, my aim would be to convert that to 5 picks by #108.

12 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Saahdiq Charles is my favorite choice to be the heir apparent to TW given where we pick.  He can probably be had with our first 4th ... maybe even our second.

but if we get a 3 for TW and Niang is gone I’m taking Charles in the 3rd. 

I was just looking at Brugler's 7th round mock. Weird in a sense that we skipped the wide receiver position entirely and went more defense than offense. He had Charles fall to the Redskins pick in the 5th round. I gather Charles' immaturity and getting suspended every college season might get him to fall.

42 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Decided to give those mock draft simulators a try last night...the joys of lockdown...and man I found it very frustrating once our opening 4th rounder was gone.

Without trades, picking at #2,#66,#108 not a problem. After that so much talent has been wiped clear.

Tell you what, if someone like the Jets are offering us a 3rd for Trent, I’d be saying give us your other 3rd and you can have our 5th back. Even later 4th.

Instead is having 3 picks by #108, my aim would be to convert that to 5 picks by #108.

I would do that. Keim has hinted a straight 3rd rounder would get a deal done now but implied a 5th has been our best offer, Pauline suggested something similar.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just looking at Brugler's 7th round mock. Weird in a sense that we skipped the wide receiver position entirely and went more defense than offense. He had Charles fall to the Redskins pick in the 5th round. I gather Charles' immaturity and getting suspended every college season might get him to fall.

I like Charles a lot.  But what makes me wonder about us getting him is RR's insistence to build a culture year 1.  I don't think that vibes with Charles in what they are trying to do. 

Interesting nugget from Peter King. 

I hope this is true and the Lions are one of those teams. I would love to see them not be able to trade back, and draft Simmons over Okudah. I don’t want the Giants drafting Simmons. 

3. DETROIT. Defensive player or trade down. Lions would love to find a partner to supply them with a fifth pick in the top 90 of a top-heavy draft. Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah or Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown would be Matt Patricia types. But how about this counter-culture idea from one smart GM on Saturday: “I bet 40 percent of the teams in the league have C.J. Henderson higher on their boards than Okudah. Better cover guy.” Hmmmm. Even a trade down for slightly less value would be smart for Lions GM Bob Quinn.

15 minutes ago, Lovi said:

I like Charles a lot.  But what makes me wonder about us getting him is RR's insistence to build a culture year 1.  I don't think that vibes with Charles in what they are trying to do. 

I am guessing the same.  But will see. Wonder if he drops enough where they take a risk on it.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Another WR is a massive roster need. Flipping between us going LB or WR with our next pick after presumably taking Young. 

Me, too. I was listening to Bowen on Keim's podcast, some of his points were after studying the Redskins roster. 

A. Wr is a screaming need. If he was a defensive coordinator he would just bracket McLaurin on every play and take his chances with all of their other pass catchers.

B. Some of the Was he likes possibly in the Redskins range of the draft: Pittman, Tyler Johnson, Bryan Edwards, Van Jefferson.

C. He wouldn't trade down, he'd take Chase Young but he'd put some thought into possibility taking Tua

Agreed on Henderson vs. Okudah. I think Okudah is better. But the drop between him/Okudah/Diggs isn’t all that far. In fact, I think it makes drafting Okudah high a wasted draft choice if you can find people to move up and allow you to move a touch lower and still get a corner + assets.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agreed on Henderson vs. Okudah. I think Okudah is better. But the drop between him/Okudah/Diggs isn’t all that far. In fact, I think it makes drafting Okudah high a wasted draft choice if you can find people to move up and allow you to move a touch lower and still get a corner + assets.

I haven't studied Diggs that closely, just watched one game. But judging by pure gossip (granted that could be pure bs) Henderson might crack the top 10 or come close whereas Diggs might fall to the third. Not sure why in Digggs' case that some say he will fall.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

We aren't always going to agree with each other so ditto for the mock draft types.  I see some get fired up when one of these guys takes a radically different view on a player from us.  But its going to happen.  I've said before Ledyard is my favorite for 2 reasons.

A.  I tend to agree with him more than any other draft geek type.  So selfishly I like him for that reason.   😀

B.  So many others are group think driven.  Ledyard doesn't care about following the herd.

Reading his top 50.

He's higher than most on (where I share his opinion on)

Ashtyn Davis

Patrick Queen

Bryan Edwards

Michael Pittman

K'Von Wallace

I like Ledyard as well. But Epenesa is a top 30 player in this draft IMO. He is a monster. And my number 2 DE in this draft.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

That's easily the highest I've ever seen Bryan Edwards.  I'm trying to watch Bryan Edwards and it's just difficult.  The QB play on that team is painful to watch.  Against Missouri, I think 5 of his first 6 targets were uncatchable.  

P.S.  Anyone have a link to those 1v1 Senior Bowl Practice cutups?

Just saw Dane Bruglers 7 round mock draft.  Day 3 looks like a big old bust here.

Washington Redskins
1 (2) EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State
3 (66) TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
4 (108) CB Josiah Scott, Michigan State
4 (142) LB Francis Bernard, Utah
5 (162) OT Saahdiq Charles, LSU
7 (216) LB David Woodward, Utah State
7 (229) QB Cole McDonald, Hawaii

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing the same.  But will see. Wonder if he drops enough where they take a risk on it.

Via my draft wish list I think they go for Charles in the 4th round.  Skins have had talks with both Charles and Moss.  I think they go Moss with their 2nd overall in the 4th and use their other 4th on Charles if he's still there. :)

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's easily the highest I've ever seen Bryan Edwards.  I'm trying to watch Bryan Edwards and it's just difficult.  The QB play on that team is painful to watch.  Against Missouri, I think 5 of his first 6 targets were uncatchable.  

P.S.  Anyone have a link to those 1v1 Senior Bowl Practice cutups?

Ledyard, to me is way off on some of his ranking in the top 50.  He right on some of it and in right field on the other.  JMO.  :)

My guess.  I see some draft geeks have Charles rated as a top 50 talent.  I've read because of this immaturity he's not on some teams boards.  To me, if he's there with our last 4th round pick we got to take him.  Too much talent and a stern HC and OL coach that he's worth taking a chance on.  You sign a Penn or Peters for a year and let the kid mature. 

Charles is one of those players that could completely free-fall if teams can't get a good vibe for his personality.

For some reason I have a feeling he will be there at multiple of our picks and I will be screaming to draft him, and we won't. Then someone like Dallas will draft him in Round 7 and I'll be furious. Of course, if we draft someone like Niang or Peart in R3 or R4 it makes a Charles selection less likely. But given we will likely need an LT this year and a RT long-term, I would support a double-dip at OT if that means taking Charles in the 7th.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just saw Dane Bruglers 7 round mock draft.  Day 3 looks like a big old bust here.

Washington Redskins
1 (2) EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State
3 (66) TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
4 (108) CB Josiah Scott, Michigan State
4 (142) LB Francis Bernard, Utah
5 (162) OT Saahdiq Charles, LSU
7 (216) LB David Woodward, Utah State
7 (229) QB Cole McDonald, Hawaii

From what Keim and some others have said, zero chance we are skipping on WR in this draft.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what Keim and some others have said, zero chance we are skipping on WR in this draft.

He also has us going Kmet over Trautman, and I can't really say that's wrong, but rather I have a hunch our team is a little obsessed about Trautman.  So unless we get an extra Day 2 pick (Trent Williams trade?), our WR options are limited to pick #106 or later.  I don't think anyone would fault the team for going TE at #66, as that starts to be good value area for the top of this draft class.

Dane Brugler has WR's going here after pick #66:

#88 Van Jefferson

#99 Bryan Edwards (to the Giants)

#100 KJ Hill

#102 Antonio Gandy Golden

4th round

#111 Gabriel Davis

#115 Donovan Peoples Jones

#117 Devin Duvernay

#136 Justin Strnad

#137 Collin Johnson

#146 James Proche

5th round

#149 Tyler Johnson

#178 Isaiah Hodgins

Our options to add WR talent to the team are seriously limited.  Do we trade up to the end of Round 3 to grab someone?

Archived