Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

20 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Anyone notice that Kevin Gausman is 7-1 with a 1.43 ERA and 0.78 WHIP?  I called it when we let him go, dude is gonna be good.  It was apparent that he had good stuff, just could never quite put it together consistently.  He was young too.  

always liked Gausman but I think this is about the advantage pitchers are getting form sticky substances coupled with hitting philosophies changing over the years. I’d love to be wrong but seeing guys like Cole complaining cause baseball is cracking down suggests to be that it’s super widespread this year. 

Oh boy! More Pedro severino.

At least he makes it exciting. 

I mean for the other guys, but hey, somebody needs to keep them on their toes with passed balls and a piss poor ability to follow a ball in flight.

~Bang

Can't believe we lost after hitting 6 home runs.

What am I saying, of course I believe it.

Suck all but one of those were solo shots.  

Mountcastle looks to be our future 1B/DH.   Which means we're probably going to deal Mancini in the offseason, if not the deadline.    But that would be a pretty tough thing to do, Elias should need a "wow" offer for that.

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Can't believe we lost after hitting 6 home runs.

What am I saying, of course I believe it.

Suck all but one of those were solo shots.  

Mountcastle looks to be our future 1B/DH.   Which means we're probably going to deal Mancini in the offseason, if not the deadline.    But that would be a pretty tough thing to do, Elias should need a "wow" offer for that.

I gotta see more out of Mountcastle.  Yes, I realize I'm saying that on a day where he hit 3 homers, but he strikes me as a guy that'll hit .260-.280 with a .290-.320 OBP.  He'd have to slug .575 at LEAST each year to make that OBP valuable.  And even then, I'd prefer a guy who gets on base at a better clip, SLG be damned.

It might not be so bad if he's in a lineup with guys that have significantly better plate discipline but as for now his OBP is worrisome.  Last year was a small sample size of course but his walk rate is worse this year than it was last year.  Hopefully that improves.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

3 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

It would be nice if it could at least be a competitive game by the time I get my kids to bed. 

OTOH I turned it off after the first inning.  If their going to suck this bad, probably better they suck early so I can find something better to do with my time.

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Not yet, but the home plate umpire is trying. Missed the inning ending strike 3 call and now the bases are loaded. Ugh. 

Saw that, Greinke had a nearly identical pitch that struck out Mancini an inning or two ago, and it was on the edge of the zone while Eschelman's pitch was well within the zone. Fork you ump.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Man just dodged a huge bullet there ... 5 run lead almost squandered in the bottom of the 9th.   When Altuve hit that deep fly ball I thought it was out of there but came just short ... well this probably the only game we win against the Astros because we totally used up our bullpen but it was the right strategy IMO.