Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

I just saw it, basically Ramirez singled to right. O's had him caught up between first and second but failed to get him out, then allowed him to take third base when no one covered. Pretty bush league.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I know that play. I’m asking what happened with the O’s.

Ah sorry misunderstood.  As abdcskins fan described, it was pretty bad. I called it little league to my wife. Just dumb mental errors. Jim Palmer said in his deadpan voice “this team has a long way to go” or something like that. 

So many bad things with that rundown.  First, Mancini should “follow his throw” and go cover second. Galvis got rid of the ball too quick.  Run the guy back to the base, then throw him out.  Akin needs to be more than a spectator.  Drift over to third when Franco vacates.  Pretty awful baseball right there.  But a good instructional video on what not to do for a little league team.

34 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So many bad things with that rundown.  First, Mancini should “follow his throw” and go cover second. Galvis got rid of the ball too quick.  Run the guy back to the base, then throw him out.  Akin needs to be more than a spectator.  Drift over to third when Franco vacates.  Pretty awful baseball right there.  But a good instructional video on what not to do for a little league team.

You're absolutely right.

This will sound like I'm defending the Orioles and I guess in a way I'm making excuses for them when I say this but...they work on this stuff in Spring Training a bunch and then they don't.  Rundowns don't happen often in big league games, I can't remember the last time I saw one while watching an Orioles game.

It's easy for them to botch something like this if they don't do it day in, day out.  When was the last time they drilled rundowns and proper coverage?  I'm assuming ST.  

Maybe that's a coaching thing, I'd be curious to know what amount of big league teams are still covering basic things like bunt coverages, rundown situations, etc throughout the season.  I get the feeling those issues are abandoned at ST.

12 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

WTF, were there like three people covering first ? WTH was Valaika doing ? 

@Ball Securitywas correct.  After you make a throw in a rundown you're supposed to go to the opposite side and fill in, or kinda "get in line" opposite from the base you just came.  Mancini, IIRC, didn't.  But a rundown should take two throws, MAX.  

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Mullins just got hit again, this time in the head.   #@*! you Indians.

That was a breaking ball that got away, no intention there.

• Like 1

Anyone notice that Kevin Gausman is 7-1 with a 1.43 ERA and 0.78 WHIP?  I called it when we let him go, dude is gonna be good.  It was apparent that he had good stuff, just could never quite put it together consistently.  He was young too.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Anyone notice that Kevin Gausman is 7-1 with a 1.43 ERA and 0.78 WHIP?  I called it when we let him go, dude is gonna be good.  It was apparent that he had good stuff, just could never quite put it together consistently.  He was young too.  

Gausman was never developed. He was brought up to help a thin playoff caliber team. The playoff era Orioles under Buck was well behind on the times. 

He matches well with the 3 outcomes evolution of baseball because he can beat dudes up high in the zone. When guys are swinging up, he can go fastball UP, splitter DOWN all day and barely consider lateral movement or changing speeds. It's kinda fascinating. 

5 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Gausman was never developed. He was brought up to help a thin playoff caliber team. The playoff era Orioles under Buck was well behind on the times. 

He matches well with the 3 outcomes evolution of baseball because he can beat dudes up high in the zone. When guys are swinging up, he can go fastball UP, splitter DOWN all day and barely consider lateral movement or changing speeds. It's kinda fascinating. 

That's some good analysis right there. You are right, from what I recall he did seem to work up and down in the zone a lot. Lots of velocity. Never saw much of a slider from him. Gonna try to catch a Giants game when he is pitching and see his stuff now.

Arrieta was another guy whose stuff I liked, and look what happened to him. Rodriguez on the Red Sox is another guy I recall letting go, I forget if it was a trade or FA decision. I know there are others too. Orioles front office is simply bad at identifying talent, and the coaching staff is bad at developing it. Sad organization right now.

• Like 1

Gausman was always looking for a “out” pitch. “Maybe his slider will develop, maybe the splitter.” I remember him having marathon innings where dudes would flick his pitches off and run his PC to death. 

ERod was traded for Andrew Miller and had out offense scored any ****ing runs in the playoffs, would have helped immensely. 

33 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Doesn’t help when Buck changed pitching coaches every year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Doesn’t help when Buck changed pitching coaches every year.  

That and an actual organizational philosophy and strategy. 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Video of O's prospect Mickey Jannis' knuckleball

~Dang

I like that the catcher didn’t even catch it! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

That and an actual organizational philosophy and strategy. 

I like that the catcher didn’t even catch it! 

I don't think I would have caught even if was actually travelling in slow motion speed. 

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I don't feel quite as bad since he went to Atlanta and Cincinnati and didn't do particularly well in either stop before finding success in SF.  It's not like Arrieta who got traded to Chicago and started being great, like, the next week.

The best seats i ever had at a game was an O's vs A's game in the late 90s. Sat right behind the plate, one row up from the front. The A's had a knuckleballer back then who's name i  never remember (Candiotti maybe?)..  anyway, it was unreal, seeing it from that perspective was like watching some science fiction. I have no idea how anyone can hit one. It does things that seem impossible. 

Bonus: Late in the game the bases were loaded and rickey henderson came up. I YELLED "You're too old to hit it out of here Rickey!"
He did and as he came to the plate to score, he pointed at me and laughed. I took my hat off and bowed.

~Dang.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bang said:

The best seats i ever had at a game was an O's vs A's game in the late 90s. Sat right behind the plate, one row up from the front. The A's had a knuckleballer back then who's name i  never remember (Candiotti maybe?)..  anyway, it was unreal, seeing it from that perspective was like watching some science fiction. I have no idea how anyone can hit one. It does things that seem impossible. 

Bonus: Late in the game the bases were loaded and rickey henderson came up. I YELLED "You're too old to hit it out of here Rickey!"
He did and as he came to the plate to score, he pointed at me and laughed. I took my hat off and bowed.

~Dang.

Good memory! 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199804260.shtml

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

~Dang.

Loved Rickey Henderson.  In a weird way, I think he's a little underrated.  He's easily one of the top 25 players of all time but I'm not sure people would place him in their top 25 lists.  Everyone knows about the steals but he was pretty much a 4.5 tool player.  I think he was a decent fielder but I don't think the arm was special.  He could do everything else though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Loved Rickey Henderson.  In a weird way, I think he's a little underrated.  He's easily one of the top 25 players of all time but I'm not sure people would place him in their top 25 lists.  Everyone knows about the steals but he was pretty much a 4.5 tool player.  I think he was a decent fielder but I don't think the arm was special.  He could do everything else though.

I totally agree about Henderson.  I believe a lot has to do with his personality and they way the game was covered in the 80s.  The media had more control of the narrative than it does today because there is more access to players today and fans can draw their own conclusions instead of following what a beat reporter writes day in day out. Similar to Eddie Murray.  He was underrated/under appreciated as well.  Both great, great players.

My favorite Henderson story is that he goes to, I think NYM, and meets John Olerud.  He asks him why he wears a helmet in the field.  Olerud explains the condition he has and the need to protect his skull.  Henderson says, “No way, I played with a dude in Toronto with the exact same thing.”  Henderson and Olerud were teammates with the Blue Jays. 🤣

• Haha 3