Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

16 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Not surprisingly nobody is here for the bobblehead lol 

Yea IDK if bobbleheads are all that popular these days. 

Today should be relatively cool and Means on the mound. ****, may even win today! 

Best part of yesterday was Boog's. Good stuff.

Never had it before. There's a smaller stand that has a smoker in center field in the picnic area. The main stand in right field off Eutaw Street I saw doesnt' serve platters?

One thing I have noticed watching the O's the last couple of weeks is that they swing at some really bad pitches. No patience at the plate, horrible batting eyes. Their swings are uneven and wild. The talent on this team is so mediocre. I am disappointed in Austin Hays the most for some reason. He was billed as being good coming up. And what the hell happened to Yusniel Diaz. Boy the trades we have made over the years have sucked bad. Adam Jones is like the one player I can think of that ever worked out for us.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

One thing I have noticed watching the O's the last couple of weeks is that they swing at some really bad pitches. No patience at the plate, horrible batting eyes. Their swings are uneven and wild. The talent on this team is so mediocre. I am disappointed in Austin Hays the most for some reason. He was billed as being good coming up. And what the hell happened to Yusniel Diaz. Boy the trades we have made over the years have sucked bad. Adam Jones is like the one player I can think of that ever worked out for us.

The MacPhail trades worked out great.  Jones/Tillman/Hardy/Davis/Reynolds.  The 2018 sell off, not so much.

DD had some impactful trades that helped get the O's to the playoffs. Angelos Sr killed any chance of a good sell off by not letting DD ever sell. The sell off should've happened in 2017 mid-season. Instead they were buyers for some unknown reason. 

54 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The MacPhail trades worked out great.  Jones/Tillman/Hardy/Davis/Reynolds.  The 2018 sell off, not so much.

Not just the trades, but what a bag of absolute dogcrap Duquette left Elias with.  Almost like an expansion team, but without an expansion draft or the ability to sign quality FAs due to budget constraints.  Basically zero pitchers in the system who are above replacement level, outside of Means and I think one reliever (maybe Tanner Scott I think, too lazy to check). Sulser doing pretty well but signed as FA.  As for battlers, Mancini and Mountcastle have had plus seasons, but just barely according to bWAR (1.0 for Mancini and 0.4 for Mountcastle).  Mullins is obviously a star, but beyond that of position players only Hays has a bWAR > 1.0.  IF has been a disaster outside of 1B, which is not saying alot as thats the easiest position to find productive players.

I guess the lesson is if you are going to fire your GM, don't let him handle the sell off.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Just now, DCSaints_fan said:

Not just the trades, but what a bag of absolute dogcrap Duquette left Elias with.  Almost like an expansion team, but without an expansion draft or the ability to sign quality FAs due to budget constraints.  Basically zero pitchers in the system who are above replacement level, outside of Means and I think one reliever (maybe Tanner Scott I think, too lazy to check). Sulser doing pretty well but signed as FA.  As for battlers, Mancini and Mountcastle have had plus seasons, but just barely according to bWAR (1.0 for Mancini and 0.4 for Mountcastle).  Mullins is obviously a star, but beyond that of position players only Hays has a bWAR > 1.0.  IF has been a disaster outside of 1B, which is pretty easy to fix.

I guess the lesson is if you are going to fire your GM, don't let him handle the sell off.

Stop. The two most important pieces to the O's rebuild were drafted under Duquette and the O's payroll was only $83 million to start the 2019 season. Not to mention the O's had the number 1 pick for the 2019 draft. Now, guess how many Elias pitchers are currently in the top-30 of O's prospects? Three, including a 24 and 25 year old acquired by trades that are currently mediocre at Norfolk. 

All these young players are coming up and expected to immediately be top or middle of the order hitters cause of a total unwillingness to bring in any quality players. 

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

DD had some impactful trades that helped get the O's to the playoffs. Angelos Sr killed any chance of a good sell off by not letting DD ever sell. The sell off should've happened in 2017 mid-season. Instead they were buyers for some unknown reason. 

He was great at “rosterbation”, making improvements along the edges during their run.  Everything he touched was magic in 2012 starting with the Guthrie trade.  I’ll always defend the Miller/ERod trade.  He made a lot of wrong turns with RF after letting Markakis walk.  Cost us young, cheap pitching with Brault and Davies.  In balance, I like what DD did as GM because 12-17 has been the only good Orioles baseball I’ve seen outside of 96/97 (too young to remember 83).  But he should have been dismissed when he tried to go to Toronto.  He definitely shouldn’t have been there to start 2018.

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

He was great at “rosterbation”, making improvements along the edges during their run.  Everything he touched was magic in 2012 starting with the Guthrie trade.  I’ll always defend the Miller/ERod trade.  He made a lot of wrong turns with RF after letting Markakis walk.  Cost us young, cheap pitching with Brault and Davies.  In balance, I like what DD did as GM because 12-17 has been the only good Orioles baseball I’ve seen outside of 96/97 (too young to remember 83).  But he should have been dismissed when he tried to go to Toronto.  He definitely shouldn’t have been there to start 2018.

He made a ton of mistakes. I do think PA handcuffed him and PA did the CD deal. The Miller trade was absolutely a good trade. Gotta go for it when you have the chance. 

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He made a ton of mistakes. I do think PA handcuffed him and PA did the CD deal. The Miller trade was absolutely a good trade. Gotta go for it when you have the chance. 

I believe Davis was PA/Buck.  And the Trumbo re-signing was on Buck too.  There was a power struggle then.  DD should have been out after the Toronto affair.

17 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I believe Davis was PA/Buck.  And the Trumbo re-signing was on Buck too.  There was a power struggle then.  DD should have been out after the Toronto affair.

Another contract that the O's bid against themselves. Was a terrible signing especially when they had Mancini ready to go. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The signings can be criticized, what I'm mostly referring to is the almost complete dearth of any young talent in our system (outside of Mullins, Means, Mancini,  and Mountcastle and Hays to some extent) to help us out in the future.

Didn't help we threw away two first draft choices for washed up pitchers.  Even given that though, it just seems like Duquette rolled snake eyes like five years in a row in acquiring young players.  Maybe Grayson and /or Hall change that.  

And  unless Zimmerman can rehab and start producing, and Diaz figures something out, its very possible the selloff in 2018 of Machado, Schoop, Gausmann, O'Day and Britton will net us a big fat ZERO.  Compare that to MacPhails sell off which setup our 2012-2016 run, which netted us Adam Jones , Chris Tillman, JJ Hardy, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, and Luke Scott.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The signings can be criticized, what I'm mostly referring to is the almost complete dearth of any young talent in our system (outside of Mullins, Means, Mancini,  and Mountcastle and Hays to some extent) to help us out in the future.

Didn't help we threw away two first draft choices for washed up pitchers.  Even given that though, it just seems like Duquette rolled snake eyes like five years in a row in acquiring young players.  Maybe Grayson and /or Hall change that.  

And  unless Zimmerman can rehab and start producing, and Diaz figures something out, its very possible the selloff in 2018 of Machado, Schoop, Gausmann, O'Day and Britton will net us a big fat ZERO.  Compare that to MacPhails sell off which setup our 2012-2016 run, which netted us Adam Jones , Chris Tillman, JJ Hardy, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, and Luke Scott.  

I'm definitely not defending DD, but he didn't leave Elias with nothing. G-Rod and DL Hall are the two most important pieces to the rebuild and the number 1 pick in the draft is a pretty good present for a new GM. 

Elias, at the time, even said the cupboard wasn't bare and was happy with the pitching prospects. Of course that was before he realized that analytics don't really make players better. 

Think the O's will set the record for most consecutive losses? They are well on their way to L19 tonight. The record is 26 way back in 1889 by the Louisville Colonels. Phillies have the longest 20th century losing streak at 23 in 1961.

34 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Think the O's will set the record for most consecutive losses? They are well on their way to L19 tonight. The record is 26 way back in 1889 by the Louisville Colonels. Phillies have the longest 20th century losing streak at 23 in 1961.

Ohtani pitches tomorrow so chalk that up as a loss, and if they can't beat the Angels on Thursday that would be 21 in a row.   The losing treak continuing then becomes very likely as they play Tampa this weekend for a 3 game stand.  They follow that up with Toronto, which if they haven't won by then, would be the 25th,  26th 27th loss in a row.   Then a 3 game series with Yankees.   They finally get a reprieve with the Royals.  So its not at all impossible they lose 30+ in a row.

Honestly I'm thinking that Hyde will resign very soon.  I'm not sure if an MLB manager has ever resigned, especially during the season.    He did not have a good look in the dugout just now when the Angels scored double digits by the 4th.  I don't think he wants to be the manager when they break that record, and he knows he's on the way out anyway.   

35 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ohtani pitches tomorrow so chalk that up as a loss, and if they can't beat the Angels on Thursday that would be 21 in a row.   The losing treak continuing then becomes very likely as they play Tampa this weekend for a 3 game stand.  They follow that up with Toronto, which if they haven't won by then, would be the 25th,  26th 27th loss in a row.   Then a 3 game series with Yankees.   They finally get a reprieve with the Royals.  So its not at all impossible they lose 30+ in a row.

Honestly I'm thinking that Hyde will resign very soon.  I'm not sure if an MLB manager has ever resigned, especially during the season.    He did not have a good look in the dugout just now when the Angels scored double digits by the 4th.  I don't think he wants to be the manager when they break that record, and he knows he's on the way out anyway.   

If Elias has promised to keep him when the prospects come up, he will stay. Though I feel bad for him. I don't think he's made good moves when it actually sorta matter, but it's got to be miserable to be given almost no good pitching and only a few quality position players. 

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Jim Riggleman with the Nats in 2011.  Took his ass to Caddy’s in Bethesda and quit.  Lol.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I was reading about some of our prospects, I really hope Heston Kjerstad pans out. I didn't look at his stats, but I don't like how his career started inauspiciously with myocarditis.

There are no professional stats to look up, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

There are no professional stats to look up, unfortunately.

I have a bad feeling in my gut that he will be a bust, just cuz you know...Orioles. Second overall pick, nah doesn't matter, our farm system will screw him up.

Good for the players. It's got to be a really weird feeling. I guess mainly relief that it's over rather than being overly fired up. But I'm not watching so maybe they are. 

• Like 1