Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

45 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I have to give Matt Harvey credit, he turned his season around.  He's had one truly bad start in his last 8.  Now, I'm grading on a big curve, since they haven't all been quality starts by definition. I think only three have been quality starts, but he's not getting bombed anymore where you're down 5-6 runs when he gets taken out in the 3rd inning.  He's keeping you in the game. 

Is it possible to have a lower bar for a sports team? I don’t actually think so .

I’m not making fun of you btw. I think you perfectly summarize how bad the O’s are now with this post. 

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Is it possible to have a lower bar for a sports team? I don’t actually think so .

I’m not making fun of you btw. I think you perfectly summarize how bad the O’s are now with this post. 

I mean, yeah.  It's a sad state of affairs.   I was just hoping for 60+ wins this year.  lol  Couldn't even get that.  I think we're looking at 54-55 at this rate. 

51 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The 2021 Orioles quality start metric: pitch at least 5 innings and allow 4 or fewer runs.

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I’m reading Davis is still getting the rest of his 2021 and 2022 salaries, but it will somehow be deferred

seems to be they are also paying him all the deferred money he’s owed over the next three years so he won’t be on the books in the 2030s. 

52 minutes ago, Hersh said:

seems to be they are also paying him all the deferred money he’s owed over the next three years so he won’t be on the books in the 2030s. 

Yeah, that was a foregone conclusion.   But I thought they would get some type of discount for the rest of his non-deferred salary.  Now it appears the only discount they are getting is a few years of interest gains on the escrow (not exactly sure how that works or what they are allowed to invest in) 

Interesting gamble by the Orioles are now betting their won't be a substantial lockout next year.

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

He had some great years. He also had some terrible years. Goodbye Chris thanks for what you contributed.

Yup, before he became the poster child of the dangers of guaranteed long-term contracts in pro sports, he was something special and helped give us some memorable seasons.  By all accounts he was a class act off the field and in the locker room. 

I still see plenty of #19 shirts/jerseys when I go to O's games.  Yes, most of these are probably cases of the fan not having any other merch to wear, or maybe a few of them lost a bet.  But it speaks to how popular he was at one point.

I think he should have retired long ago when it was obvious to everyone on the planet that he had completely lost it, but it's easy for me to sit here in my office chair and tell him to walk away from all the extra money that the Orioles were dumb enough to give him.

Glad he's gone, but also glad for the good years he gave us.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

Arizona, we're coming for ya'

Man, we all knew the pitching staff would be bad in 2021. I mean, we expected Lopez to stink and Harvey to be a reclamation project.  But did every other young-ish pitcher (some of which that were solid in 2020) have to fall flat on their face?

Zimmermann's just got moved to the 60 day IL after a rehab start. 

Kremer, Akin,  and Eshleman have all stunk. That's the most disappointing part in all this, is that you need pieces to to rebuild and dudes putting up 8 run ERA's won't cut it. 

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Haven't watched them since Ripken retired....is the idiot Peter Angelos still the owner? 

You missed some fun summers from late-2011 through 2016, but other than that you've made a wise decision.

They're in a tough spot: they can't spend like the Yankees, Red Sox, or even Blow Jays, and they don't have the front office genius of the Rays.  So all they can really do is suck royally for a decade, enjoy a competitive window of about 5 years when all their high picks break out into good players (hopefully), and then go back to a long painful rebuild once said good players leave for greener pastures and bigger contracts.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.  Based on that timeline, we're about 2 - 3 years away from being watchable again.  We'll see you then.  

We've now got the worst record in baseball, and I don't see any reason that will change over the last month of the season.  Even in the 2000's it was never this bad.  The only reason I go to games now is because it's been a rite of summer for my buddies over the past 20 years.  Even the charm of Camden Yards has worn off for me in the midst of the stinkfest over the past few years.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Neck and neck with the Diamondbacks for the #1 pick.  I don't think they'll go down without a fight...well, not a fight.  Whatever, you know what I mean.  

Go D-backs. Maybe that new pitcher will keep winning games for them. We can only hope. 

7 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

At this point the Orioles should be paying for their fans to show up to the games.

Or maybe just offer free beer with a ticket.

I don't live close enough anyway, but I can't imagine paying to go to a game. 

I'm actually watching this game. So hard seeing the Orioles bat. They just blindly wave at pitches. McClanahan has good stuff, but they look lost. If they can score a single run I would be impressed. Hey Urias just hit a double. On the other side our pitching is just dreadful. I hope some of those arms in the minors are legit.

58 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'm actually watching this game. So hard seeing the Orioles bat. They just blindly wave at pitches. McClanahan has good stuff, but they look lost. If they can score a single run I would be impressed. Hey Urias just hit a double. On the other side our pitching is just dreadful. I hope some of those arms in the minors are legit.

Pitching is a huge problem, especially since Elias doesn't draft any in the high rounds. It was a really bad move not to retain Brocail. Also, their pitching analytics are all BS.