Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Means needs to get paid. In my opinion, his value right now goes well beyond what he does on the mound. We've got several high potential pitching prospects in the minors and i cant think of a better person for those guys to learn from. Especially another lefty like DL Hall, who stuck out 10 in 4 1/3 to start of Bowie's season.

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Means was incredible yesterday.  And going back to last September, he's been one of the best pitchers in the league.  It's starting to get to a point where he's not just on a hot streak..I think he's a true ace.  

He's a true throwback style left handed Fastball-Changeup pitcher who is probably going to be pretty durable. I'd say on a playoff team, he's an excellent #2, but there really isn't much to complain about. Maybe if he could get his curveball/slider a little better as he relies on fastball location and the change a lot. 

Anyway, this is year 3, so he's ARB 1 next year. I'd love to offer him a 5 year + option deal that swallows those arbitration years plus free agency - when our birds are a contender, and not have to hand out hat on just the young studs coming up. He's older, though and maybe one reasonably big payday to stay in Baltimore is less of a rish for him to wait until he's 32. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

He's a true throwback style left handed Fastball-Changeup pitcher who is probably going to be pretty durable. I'd say on a playoff team, he's an excellent #2, but there really isn't much to complain about. Maybe if he could get his curveball/slider a little better as he relies on fastball location and the change a lot. 

Anyway, this is year 3, so he's ARB 1 next year. I'd love to offer him a 5 year + option deal that swallows those arbitration years plus free agency - when our birds are a contender, and not have to hand out hat on just the young studs coming up. He's older, though and maybe one reasonably big payday to stay in Baltimore is less of a rish for him to wait until he's 32. 

Would 5/100 do it?  

13 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Would 5/100 do it?  

Absolutely, it would.  They wouldn’t need to go that high, imo.  Jack Flaherty is an OD starter in his first option year and makes less than $4M.  Means could win a Cy Young in the next three years and is still looking at making around 25-30M total in 22-24.  

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Would 5/100 do it?  

Means is still making nothing compared to Arb 1, 2 and 3 will be in the next three years.

Snell signed a couple years ago for 5/50, Nola something similar to that as well. Snell has a CY Young award and Nola got started a few years earlier in the league. 

I think it would be wise to approach Means in the offseason, for sure. Offer 35 million to cover the Arb years and then maybe 2 more, so 5/65.

Completely different situation, but Harvey dropped a ball while covering first the other day against Boston that led to the big hit of the game. And I still remember the ****ing TRAUMA of that Mother’s Day game in 2007 where Chris Ray did the same. 

We avoid the sweep 

Nice outing by Lopez just shy of 6 innings and only 1 R allowed.  Bullpen was perfect.

Crazy play in the 9th by Mullins ... got a triple on a shallow fly ball to left field badly misplayed by Bogarts.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

Mullins’ triple was an excellent combo of hustle snd smarts. He busted out of the box - by the time it dropped he was already to second and saw that the 3b was out of position and took it. Just a brilliant play and it led to insurance runs. 

It’s the kind of play that happens TO our boys, not BY our boys. 

31 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Mullins’ triple was an excellent combo of hustle snd smarts. He busted out of the box - by the time it dropped he was already to second and saw that the 3b was out of position and took it. Just a brilliant play and it led to insurance runs. 

It’s the kind of play that happens TO our boys, not BY our boys. 

Lately it hasn't, at least not in the games I've seen which is why I like watching this team.  We lose because of lack of ability, not because of stuff like that.   Although I think there was a 3 E game against the As that I missed... 

I just saw the Mullins triple, popped up on twitter. That should be an error, not a triple. The rewarding of hits on plays like that has been an issue with MLB for a while now. 

Edited by Hersh

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I just saw the Mullins triple, popped up on twitter. That should be an error, not a triple. The rewarding of hits on plays like that have been an issue with MLB for a while now. 

Agreed. A major league shortstop should make that play in his sleep

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Agreed. A major league shortstop should make that play in his sleep

He started from the RF side of second base.  No one would get an error for that.  

Just a really bad play by the pitcher for not drifting over to third.

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

He started from the RF side of second base.  No one would get an error for that.  

Just a really bad play by the pitcher for not drifting over to third.

He was under the ball when it hit his glove. Outfielders routinely run that far to make catches that would be errors if they dropped it

24 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

He was under the ball when it hit his glove. Outfielders routinely run that far to make catches that would be errors if they dropped it

Not one of the 30 official scorekeepers is giving that an error.  Perhaps MAT deserves a four base error for this play.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/larrybrownsports.com/baseball/video-michael-taylor-jacob-stallings-home-run/578077%3famp

52 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Not one of the 30 official scorekeepers is giving that an error.  Perhaps MAT deserves a four base error for this play.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/larrybrownsports.com/baseball/video-michael-taylor-jacob-stallings-home-run/578077%3famp

Which is one of the problems with baseball. Also, are you really comparing an infielder slowing down cause he over runs a pop up with an outfielder hitting a wall? 

• Haha 1

Well, we've now got the worst record in the majors.

For the first summer in almost 20 years, I just haven't been following the team that closely, and I cancelled my subscription to the Baltimore Sun.  So I really have no idea what's going on with the team's top prospects like Rutschman, Hall, Rodriguez, and Kerstad.  Anyone have a minute to provide an update?

I know we pick 5th in this summers draft, and it's looking like another top-5 pick next summer.  So we should be stacked with young talent in a couple years.  But damn, I thought we'd be taking a step forward this season.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, DCSaints_fan said:

Before his start last Sunday, Adam Plutko gave up 3 runs over 21.2 IP relief appearances.   Since his start, he's given up 10 runs in 3.1 IP. 

That was an epically stupid decision. I do wonder who is actually making those decisions cause I saw a Hyde quote that he wants Plutko out of the pen. 

5 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Well, we've now got the worst record in the majors.

For the first summer in almost 20 years, I just haven't been following the team that closely, and I cancelled my subscription to the Baltimore Sun.  So I really have no idea what's going on with the team's top prospects like Rutschman, Hall, Rodriguez, and Kerstad.  Anyone have a minute to provide an update?

I know we pick 5th in this summers draft, and it's looking like another top-5 pick next summer.  So we should be stacked with young talent in a couple years.  But damn, I thought we'd be taking a step forward this season.

I was on MASN today messing with posters. I was told that it would be dumb to try to win at all and to accept a couple more years of this. I don't watch games but I keep track. The organization is a joke to me at this point. 

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I was on MASN today messing with posters. I was told that it would be dumb to try to win at all and to accept a couple more years of this. I don't watch games but I keep track. The organization is a joke to me at this point. 

I'm sad to hear I'm not the only one, but hardly surprised.  At the very least, with all the top prospects they're drafting, they should be really good in 3 years or so.  Still pissed to think that if they would've traded Britton in 2016, the rebuild would probably be over by now with the filthy haul they would've pulled in.