Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

6 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I'm sad to hear I'm not the only one, but hardly surprised.  At the very least, with all the top prospects they're drafting, they should be really good in 3 years or so.  Still pissed to think that if they would've traded Britton in 2016, the rebuild would probably be over by now with the filthy haul they would've pulled in.

A chance to sell in 2015 was the biggest missed opportunity to me. They made so many mistake after the 2014 season. Could've had long term success but they ****ed it up pretty good. 

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

A chance to sell in 2015 was the biggest missed opportunity to me. They made so many mistake after the 2014 season. Could've had long term success but they ****ed it up pretty good. 

It goes back further than that.  Seven straight years of top 10 picks with lots of misses (Rowell, Hobgood, Matusz, Bundy combining for a total of 11 WAR).  Passed on guys like Trout, Rendon, Lindor, Baez, Springer, Giolito, Seager, Scherzer.

Even with all these top picks over a few years, I don’t have confidence that they’ll turn it around.

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

It goes back further than that.  Seven straight years of top 10 picks with lots of misses (Rowell, Hobgood, Matusz, Bundy combining for a total of 11 WAR).  Passed on guys like Trout, Rendon, Lindor, Baez, Springer, Giolito, Seager, Scherzer.

Even with all these top picks over a few years, I don’t have confidence that they’ll turn it around.

Ouch, thanks for reminding me of why I don't visit this thread as much anymore!

• Haha 1

Missing out on players in the draft that became great is something every team does. Every team would love to have Means and Mancini and every team passed on them multiple times. 

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

It goes back further than that.  Seven straight years of top 10 picks with lots of misses (Rowell, Hobgood, Matusz, Bundy combining for a total of 11 WAR).  

Some of those miserable picks were also a product of drafting easier to sign guys over Boras clients/over slot. They were intentionally incompetent at times. 

46 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Some of those miserable picks were also a product of drafting easier to sign guys over Boras clients/over slot. They were intentionally incompetent at times. 

Yes, the Hobgood pick is an example where they would go under slot in round one and load up on talent in later rounds. However that didn’t work because guys like Coffey, Ohlman, Townsend, and Berry didn’t pan out.

Hard to build up talent if you avoid both Boras clients in the draft and Dominican players in general. 

Now in sole possession of the worst record in baseball.  When they were around .500 through April, I thought "alright, they're not good, but they got some spunk", then the bottom fell out.  Lost 14 of the last 16. 

It's Means and 4 complete jabronies on the starting staff.  When they pulled Matt Harvey off of the scrap heap and said he was the #2 starter, I knew we were in for it.   Maybe Lopez can steady himself a little bit.  He seems like he can be reasonably competent from time to time.

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

I was on MASN today messing with posters. I was told that it would be dumb to try to win at all and to accept a couple more years of this. I don't watch games but I keep track. The organization is a joke to me at this point. 

I'm trying to allow some slack for the complete organizational overhaul they were undergoing, but if it's gonna be 5-7 years before they even remotely look headed in the right direction at the big league level, that's a tough pill.  I'm not really feeling the reinforcements are on the way anytime soon.  I guess we'll see Rutchsman at some point soon. 

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm trying to allow some slack for the complete organizational overhaul they were undergoing, but if it's gonna be 5-7 years before they even remotely look headed in the right direction at the big league level, that's a tough pill.  I'm not really feeling the reinforcements are on the way anytime soon.  I guess we'll see Rutchsman at some point soon. 

If both Hall and Rodriguez make it, then that changes things a bit.  I’ve noticed that they are putting up good numbers in Bowie though their innings count per start is quite low.

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I fully expect Santander, Mancini, Hays and Means to all get traded over the next two off-seasons if not at the deadline. 

Of that group, only Means will command a return that will have a meaningful impact in a rebuild.  The other three don’t carry much trade value, IMO.  One could make an argument that Trey has more value as a face of the franchise.  Though I can see them trading him too instead of paying him his final arbitration salaries.

If Elias can steal something for those three guys, I’ll be impressed.  Related, do we know how long Elias’s contract runs?

All this intentional tanking and knowing it’s gonna continue another year at least is why I hate Elias and the O’s owners. I understood the reset and for a couple seasons but to allow for this kind of regression which won’t change next season is ****ing terrible. I’m so happy my son won’t be an O’s fan 

43 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If Elias can steal something for those three guys, I’ll be impressed.  Related, do we know how long Elias’s contract runs?

They won’t get rid of Elias for a long time. He’s making them a lot of money with the slashing of payroll down to an embarrassingly low number. 

What’s the chance we go the whole year with one starter with an ERA below 6? Is Elias going to force Hyde to keep parading these clowns out there or would he attempt to sign a vet off the street to stop the bleeding ? 

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

What’s the chance we go the whole year with one starter with an ERA below 6? Is Elias going to force Hyde to keep parading these clowns out there or would he attempt to sign a vet off the street to stop the bleeding ? 

Elias is fine losing 110 games. Not sure Hyde is but he doesn't have any say.

I've never thought Hyde was particularly good at managing the bullpen but I don't know if he's under instructions on when to take starters or relievers out or if he is free to make those decisions. That being said, Elias hasn't given him **** to work with. It's pretty ****ed up that you don't add any quality arms and you go cheap AF on infielders. 

It's also a problem that the O's let their pitching coach go from last year because they "couldn't afford the salary". Big time regression so good job by Elias on that move. 

There are 5 offenses in the AL that have scored fever runs than our boys. So mediocre, but not terrible. 

There is one pitching staff in the AL that has given up more runs. And that’s with one of the best performers in baseball on the starting staff. Means-Fry-Sulser and then a couple ok guys and then a cliff of suck. 

They haven't been this bad for this long since they moved to Baltimore.  Last year, they were winning at a .417 clip in the 60 games, but there's no doubt, in a full 162, they woulda wound up finishing under .400.  Hyde took this gig and wont be around to see the fruits of his labor.  I don't think you can lose at this rate for 5 years and still keep your gig, regardless of the situation.  He's at 3 right now.  Unless something dramatic happens, I'm gonna give him 4 next year.  Hopefully not as bad, but 70 wins will be pushing it.  They at least gotta make some progress on the field though.  This season's done and it's May. 

On 5/27/2021 at 6:46 AM, Rocky21 said:

Guess who has the worst record in Major League Baseball?

At least our guys didn’t give up a run on a routine ground out like the Pirates did. Sheeesh. 

(despite record - I think we’re a better team than Pitt or Detroit but ah well. When you’re bad, you’re bad.) 

4 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

At least our guys didn’t give up a run on a routine ground out like the Pirates did. Sheeesh. 

(despite record - I think we’re a better team than Pitt or Detroit but ah well. When you’re bad, you’re bad.) 

Step on the ****ing bag, right? 😁

• Like 2

Boys, just letting you know i'm here ith you even if i have not been posting. It's hard. i watch almost every night, but good lord, the month of May has been BRUTAL.

Pitching.. i keep reading the next day how the bullpen let us down, which has happened, but more often than not the offense grabs an early lead and it is erased almost instantly. 
The starters continually hand over ridiculous deficits, and while the pen could be better, good grief.. they are like a MASH unit half the time, trying to save a game that has already been bled to death.

I don't know th answers, i just watch and hope to win at least tonight.. or tomorrow.. or.. 

~Dang

• Like 2