Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I had to sleep on this first:

People can try to separate sports from politics all they want, but politics is not making any attempt to separate itself from sports right now.  To go from your entire stadium booing this guy to being at the White House with a MAGA hat in, I need an entire offseason to convince myself it doesnt matter.  Like it or not, it does. 

I'll move on, but I wish they didnt go so I dont have to think about rationalizing tradition involving a man who does not care about tradition unless it benefits him.  

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna keep hammering off-season discussion to hoping get everyone beyond the you know what yesterday (but totally understand the feeling)

Intriguing name.  Blake Treinen.  After two stellar seasons in Oakland, he struggled through a season with back issues, got shutdown in September and is a non-tender candidate.  Talks of him being non-tendered outright or a team acquiring him for low level talent if they are willing to take the flyer on that last arbitration year (7.8 mil is the projection).

Is the upside worth it?  After leaving the Nats, he was one of the best closers in the game for two years.  I feel like the Nats will have to take some flyers on a pen project.  What about Treinen?

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I had to sleep on this first:

People can try to separate sports from politics all they want, but politics is not making any attempt to separate itself from sports right now.  To go from your entire stadium booing this guy to being at the White House with a MAGA hat in, I need an entire offseason to convince myself it doesnt matter.  Like it or not, it does. 

I'll move on, but I wish they didnt go so I dont have to think about rationalizing tradition involving a man who does not care about tradition unless it benefits him.  

They've been having this conversation in science fiction circles recently too. Apparently, it's come to light some very nasty things some classic authors have done. The question then becomes can you divide the art from the man. Some can and some can't.

In terms of the Nats, it really doesn't surprise me that there are some MAGAs on a baseball team. Well, no more than it surprises me that there are any MAGAS at all. After all, baseball players do get the advantage of the tax cut (unlike most of us.) They probably don't care about interment camps, baby and child abuse, letting thousands of terrorists loose with no means to track them, giving away our influence to Russia and China, weakening our trade position, hurting our farmers, a significant rise in hate crimes, and corruption.

They got their tax break. What else could anyone ask for?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd say signing both to 30+ a year is a mistake (especially when you are already the oldest team in baseball).

Take that from a fan who saw his team win 3 titles in 5 years and reward players (to lesser but crippling contracts) who never should have been rewarded.

I'd bet in less than 3 seasons both will be a mistake signing for someone.

Those Giant teams didn't have a Juan Soto or Victor Robles on the MLB Roster or have Carter Kieboom in the minors. When was the last time the Giants had a top-25 prospect?

They traded away their top prospects too, for an amazing run. But their draft history is atrocious, and Mike Rizzo has done a terrific job staying competitive without mortgaging the farm--not trading Robles or Soto for Realmuto looks pretty good right now.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

They've been having this conversation in science fiction circles recently too. Apparently, it's come to light some very nasty things some classic authors have done. The question then becomes can you divide the art from the man. Some can and some can't.

In terms of the Nats, it really doesn't surprise me that there are some MAGAs on a baseball team. Well, no more than it surprises me that there are any MAGAS at all. After all, baseball players do get the advantage of the tax cut (unlike most of us.) They probably don't care about interment camps, baby and child abuse, letting thousands of terrorists loose with no means to track them, giving away our influence to Russia and China, weakening our trade position, hurting our farmers, a significant rise in hate crimes, and corruption.

They got their tax break. What else could anyone ask for?

There is a politics thread for this. Seriously, please take it there. Most of us don't want this in this thread. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Those Giant teams didn't have a Juan Soto or Victor Robles on the MLB Roster or have Carter Kieboom in the minors. When was the last time the Giants had a top-25 prospect?

They traded away their top prospects too, for an amazing run. But their draft history is atrocious, and Mike Rizzo has done a terrific job staying competitive without mortgaging the farm--not trading Robles or Soto for Realmuto looks pretty good right now.

Yeah, I don't think any fanbase can ask for more than 3 rings in 5 years in baseball.  Besides, SF let a lot championship core leave for greener pastures in my recollection.  They just couldn't sustain the championship level talent beyond the window.  Which would either take stupid money or unbelievable drafting.

Also, I know we view it through a different lens because our first ring was this year, but 2012-2019 Nats are about as model of sustained success you can have in baseball without spending Yankees money.

What's even more astonishing is that we can keep that window open by retaining Stras and Rendon and if we can get another few years of relatively healthy Max (who I think should be load managed starting next year).  I really think the Nats are ready to make the revenue leap into that next tier of MLB teams.  Lerner's should consider these next few years a long term investment.

Regarding Realmuto, Phillies are apparently considering tabling the extension until after next season, which would be bat**** stupid to me.  You give up a nice young major league catcher in Alfaro and a really really good ace prospect in Sanchez for a two year rental?  The heck are they smoking in Philly?

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is a politics thread for this. Seriously, please take it there. Most of us don't want this in this thread. Thank you.

LOL. The guy showed up with a MAGA hat a week after the entire stadium booed the president on the jumbo in front of the entire country. For a grown man, dude has no situational awareness. He could have just got on his knees behind closed doors for the traitor. But no, that was too difficult. He will not have the benefit of the entire media and multi million dollar sponsors to whitewash this like Lebron does.

• Thanks 3

Yeah, I don't think anyone is begrudging trading Wheeler for Beltran right about now--given they're the team of the 10's. I'd give 3-4 down years for 2 more titles. I love this feeling. I love being on the top of the mountain.

Our drafting has faltered--we've missed on a couple of 1st rounders, with only Kieboom showing potential. They have supplemented that by hitting gold a couple of times in the Dominican. They really need Romero to get his head out of his ass. Denaburg is a question, and Rutledge flashed but is far, far too early for him. They could also use some late rounders to blossom--MAT was their last late rounder to contribute, I think.

I trust Rizzo. He doesn't deal with emotion, he makes the right decision. This is the same guy that didn't bring back fan favorites like Desmond and Morse and neither of them went on to do anything. As long as he's in charge, we'll be a consistently good team. Its hard to win championships.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I trust Rizzo. He doesn't deal with emotion, he makes the right decision. This is the same guy that didn't bring back fan favorites like Desmond and Morse and neither of them went on to do anything. As long as he's in charge, we'll be a consistently good team. Its hard to win championships.

As we've found out, it's an physically, emotionally draining slog--and that's just from me as a fan! I can only imagine the toll it takes on players.

Of all Rizzo's deals, none have really blown up in our face (although the Eaton deal was looking that way earlier this year). Doolittle has been worth losing Luzardo. Eaton was huge in the World Series for us. On top of that, he stole Trea Turner and Joe Ross for literally nothing. He has no dud FA contracts. His contract is up after 2020, I believe. He isn't going anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

LOL. The guy showed up with a MAGA hat a week after the entire stadium booed the president on the jumbo in front of the entire country. For a grown man, dude has no situational awareness. He could have just got on his knees behind closed doors for the traitor. But no, that was too difficult. He will not have the benefit of the entire media and multi million dollar sponsors to whitewash this like Lebron does.

I feel bad for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Haha.. Why? Because some wealthy moron willingly decided to throw a modern day klan hat on in front of the country, and people called him out for it?

Because you're clearly a miserable person filled with hate and you need to justify that hate with utter hyperbole.

Don't bother responding, I'm not interested in any further discussion and won't acknowledge you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because you're clearly a miserable person filled with hate and you need to justify that hate with utter hyperbole.

Don't bother responding, I'm not interested in any further discussion and won't acknowledge you.

Suzuki will be a wonderful guest on Diamond and Silk this week.

"See, Trump's not a racist at all. Brown and black people like him."

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It took him way too long to get rid of Danny Espinosa.  I was furious for how long they kept trotting him out there when he clearly didn’t have a major league bat lol

And, on another note, once we won the World Series you just knew the trolls and haters would find whatever way they could to trash the Nationals.  It’s inevitable.  Nothing to see here.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Suzuki will be a wonderful guest on Diamond and Silk this week.

"See, Trump's not a racist at all. Brown and black people like him."

More miserable, pitiful people want to bring happiness down to their level. Sad!

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Aww... did I hurt your feelings? Coming from the guy who fills every single nats game thread with about 20 vexatious posts detailing how utter trash everyone is on the roster, before coming to a mea culpa each and every homerun. Its nauseating, and yet I find this hilarious. Dont worry, Ill continue without you.

If you dont want to be lumped in with politics, then dont bring it into sports. Wealthy sports athletes like Lebron will go out of their way to tell the world how they are spending so much money and effort into helping at-risk Americans while complaining about an entire nation standing up to a genocidal communist nation, because it now it affects their wallets. If Zuki didnt want to be lumped in to that crowd, then perhaps he should have played the nondescript card. He doesnt get a pass on this, with outspoken members on the team, a fan base that clearly voiced their displeasure, and in the nations capital. You cant feign ignorance anymore.

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It took him way too long to get rid of Danny Espinosa.  I was furious for how long they kept trotting him out there when he clearly didn’t have a major league bat lol

And, on another note, once we won the World Series you just knew the trolls and haters would find whatever way they could to trash the Nationals.  It’s inevitable.  Nothing to see here.

Espinosa was so frustrating and such an asshole. He's one of the clubhouse problems Rizzo was talking about when he talked about how unified this clubhouse is. Replacing people like him with people like Dozier make a huge difference.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna do a deep dive on Post-Championship DBacks.  I think it will be fascinating to see what Rizzo's off-season moves looks like compared to the 2002 DBacks.

Interesting fact from Wiki.  Rizzo was a finalist for the DBacks GM job in 2006 with Josh Byrnes.  Losing out on that, he was hired by Bowden for the Nats and the rest is history.  

Byrnes on the other hand, promoted AJ Hinch out of the personnel department as the DBacks manager in 2009 and got lambasted for it.  As Rosenthal put it, many in the media (including himself), lambasted Byrnes' decision and cited factors for hiring Hinch, many of which would be totally common place today (I'm guessing analytics?).

Byrnes did a short stint with the Padres and moved onto the Dodgers as Senior VP of Baseball Operations in 2014.  And who has the top two records since 2012?  Dodgers and the Nats.  I wonder how many great personnel people our FO will create when looking back 20 years from now.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Anyone know when White Genocide Night at the ballpark is this year?

The Nats haven't released their promotional schedule yet. I am sure you'll be interested in "Our Closer Likes 13-Year-Olds Night," as well. We'll keep you updated.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Nats haven't released their promotional schedule yet. I am sure you'll be interested in "Our Closer Likes 13-Year-Olds Night," as well. We'll keep you updated.

Don't forget the "Three DUIs and you're out of the ole' ballgame, unless you play for the Pirates" Night.

• Haha 1