Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly I thought it was over once Max got attacked in the 1st. Same old Nats.

It reminds me of the Dodgers series facing elimination; I was in the security line when that happened to Max in the 1st and you could sense the dread...then Zimmerman hit the homer and all was good

• Like 1

Like the Caps run, there were just so many little moments that if any of them went the other way we probably don't win. Makes for a better story at least, but this generation is due its own version of the '91 Skins where we just boatrace everyone to a championship.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

By the end, I had what you would call reckless optimism.  If we were gonna advance,  why not do it against a monster like Hader? The answer, is because everything is stupid

I think there are pages here of people saying exactly that--same old, same old. I was despondent, especially clawing back from 19-31, for it to be over so quickly. Then Soto happened, and the magic was on.

Winning 5 elimination games, coming from behind in each, outscoring the opposition 19-0 in those games after the 7th Inn. The most unNATural thing we've seen.

What an incredible, MLB-History making run.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

By the end, I had what you would call reckless optimism.  If we were gonna advance,  why not do it against a monster like Hader? The answer, is because everything is stupid

As I've said before, I watched much of the playoffs through ES because actually watching the games was, frankly, unenjoyable for me at times. I have an anxiety disorder and go through depressive patches, so I followed the games through a mix of MLB gamecast, this thread, Reddit, and occasionally the live telecast when I felt comfortable.

The Brewers game in particular was tough for me. I had it on for a couple innings and couldn't bear to watch such a great season die. But I also missed out on some of the fun when everything flipped. Trying to make up for it a little bit now so I can at least talk about the games.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

i'll never forget the moment i scared the **** out of my dogs when Soto got that hit in the WC game... i screamed very loud at Howie's grand slam in the NLDS, and at Eaton's 2 RBI hit at the end of Game 7, but i still think the loudest was that Soto WC game hit.. im actually surprised the neighbors didnt do a welfare check 

• Like 1

NLCS game 2 was when I started feeling there was a legit chance, when we started looking dominant. Max was really dealing and Eaton was hitting his stride. That clutch RBI he had along the foul line was spectacular. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That's because the historically bad parts of our bullpen stayed in the bullpen in save situations.  Tons of credit to Davey and the Big 3 for managing around the deficiencies.  

very true, but obviously not sustainable in a full season, even if we somehow keep all the big pieces.. gonna have to figure that out or it might be another scramble to make the playoffs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

i'll never forget the moment i scared the **** out of my dogs when Soto got that hit in the WC game... i screamed very loud at Howie's grand slam in the NLDS, and at Eaton's 2 RBI hit at the end of Game 7, but i still think the loudest was that Soto WC game hit.. im actually surprised the neighbors didnt do a welfare check 

I legit sprained my toe when he hit the go ahead HR in gm 7 of the World Series, jumping up and down lol. Still sore like a motherlover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The Brewers game was the one for me.  That was the spark

For me, it was the Howie's GS. That broke that wall that we've hit so, so many times.

That being said, I was screaming so much after the WC game, I woke my daughter up and nearly passed out.

When Eaton delivered those final insurance runs, to make it 6-2 in Game 7, I stood in my office (my lucky spot for games), hands on head, just shouting "Oh..my GOD! Oh...MY GOD!!" in sheer disbelief that we were on the cusp of a Championship.

• Like 1

all of this reminiscing has me watching the postseason highlights. completely forgot about Zim's 2 out broken bat hit to the outfield in the 8th inning... if his bat didnt break, that was for sure a 3rd out, and the inning wouldve been over... that alone shouldve been proof that we were supposed to win it all ha

• Like 1

The entirety of extras in NLDS game 5, I was up on my feet pacing around my apartment. Zero hope of sitting down. We were finally getting great at bats and capitalizing on mistakes. The bases slowly filled and I was just looking for a sac fly from Howie.

When he made contact with the ball, it went high. Really high. I was thrilled at the assumption that it was a deep shot, figuring it would be the sac fly I wanted. Maybe it would even miss a glove.

Then it kept going. I couldn't believe it got out of the yard. My wife was there with me and had been watching the entire game, rooting hard for us. Oh, the cheer we let out. I jumped right in her arms, laughing and eventually crying deep sobs of joy. I didn't know a person could do that.

It wasn't just a win. That was decades of being a broken, defeated Redskins fan and perennially disappointed Nationals fan finally getting one. The death of Sean Taylor. The early end of RG3's career. Jim ****ing Zorn. Endless mocking from opposing fans because the Nats couldn't win a division series, not even with a masterful Strasburg start and a Michael A. Taylor grand slam. I spend way too much time thinking about sports for what little I get in return, but finally that was no longer the case. 

Thank God they didn't stop there.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

As all of you fine gentleman have already eloquently stated about this HISTORIC RUN.. Being down and out at EVERY TURN.  Literally this entire run by this team embodies everything you were ever taught about as a kid in regards to team sports.  Never quit, GREAT camaraderie, so focused on the moment, never looking too far ahead, focusing on the little things, being 100% committed to the goal TOGETHER, and last but not least ATTITUDE & EFFORT.  Folks, for my $$ we may have witnessed the greatest TEAM of all-time 👏

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think there are pages here of people saying exactly that--same old, same old. I was despondent, especially clawing back from 19-31, for it to be over so quickly. Then Soto happened, and the magic was on.

Winning 5 elimination games, coming from behind in each, outscoring the opposition 19-0 in those games after the 7th Inn. The most unNATural thing we've seen.

What an incredible, MLB-History making run.

I held @Riggo#44 together with unicorns, sunshine, duct tape, and some elbow grease.

SlimFearfulLadybird-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1