Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

44 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m not even sure that’s completely the case... Corbin was not at his best but he fought and “only” gave up 4 runs. If Nats supplied 3 runs or more during that time, Rodney doesn’t enter the game. Maybe Rainey doesn’t either, if they wanted to get an inning out of Strasburg before turning it over to the back of the bullpen.

Pitching failed but it was *mostly* the B squad bullpen that struggled. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

We gotta stop talking about these dudes like they're some schlub NL team. They're the Astros.

Our pitching is going to do what it does. They have to hit the baseball. 

I'm hoping Max and Stras gives batters confidence to change their approach and scratch and claw for every run.  We're not gonna outslug the Astros.  What we need is to get back to our brand of baseball, tough out at every at bat, no one plays hero ball and focus on keeping the train moving.

Also, there were plenty of solid hits last night that flew straight into Astros outfielders.  Keep doing what got us here

• Like 3

I see it like this: if the Nats are underdogs or have low expectations, then they become world-beaters. But if they have any kind of pressure or expectation to perform, they choke.

Once they went up 2-0 and the nation-wide discussion and attention shifted to the Nats, that was it.

I'm also basing this off of all the NLDS exits after winning the division plus the 2013 campaign, when Davey Johnson was saying "world series or bust" and then didn't even make the playoffs.

• Like 1

That's what I'm saying though, @bearrock. I expect starting pitching to give us a chance. Even last night, that was a 3 run game before the bp blew it. At this point, we've done all we can do for it. It is what it is.

But how many RISP have we sent to Hell in the last two games combined? Just get better contact. I mean, I thought Soto just missed that one AB after the Parra walk. Howie swung hard too. Not ideal, but Turner didn't even fight off the pitch he went down on.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Just now, StillUnknown said:

it would help to jump out first

That's been a trend this playoffs. A mentality of sorts coupled with gameplan. The teams that score first seem to feed off that energy. 

Absolutely need a shutdown top of the 1st and a score in the bottom half to punctuate a statement start. 

• Like 1

so me and this old dude made this little 11 yr old cry bc we told him to sit down when it was 8-1.  He was standing up on times when you didn't really need to stand up.  The old guy was mad that he couldn't see so i said something and then his mom yelled at the old dude and said u made my son cry.  His mom was acting like a fool and dressed up as a shark and didn't even know what was going on with the game. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

@Mr. Sinister  What's the gameplan today?

I'm willing to go full turducken if need be. I'm up for any variation of wild turkey, rum, whatever. Game 2 I spent with some neighbors and polished off a bottle of duckhorn merlot. Maybe I got to go back to the wine?

Turducken sounds good, but I'd like to actually remember what happens in tonights game,  instead of lapsing into a meat coma...

I would say literally kill a live turkey, but the ****ers out here in the yard and woods at the edge of the property where I live are more junior velociraptor than turkey.

Wonder if one of these Uncle Jethro type shops around here sell turkey feathers? Maybe I'll stick one under my Nats cap while eating another delicious turkey burger

Edited by Mr. Sinister

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Seriously, I can't imagine them rolling through Max and Stras without a loss. Bet you we're going to have to suffer an excruciating game 7 whether we want to or not. 

Its all good. Anyone who knows baseball should have come into this series expecting NOT to win. Yes it hurts that we went up 2 games in their stadium and choked that away at home. But the Astros are the better baseball team. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

so me and this old dude made this little 11 yr old cry bc we told him to sit down when it was 8-1.  He was standing up on times when you didn't really need to stand up.  The old guy was mad that he couldn't see so i said something and then his mom yelled at the old dude and said u made my son cry.  His mom was acting like a fool and dressed up as a shark and didn't even know what was going on with the game. 

Dude, this sounds messed up...

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I would say literary kill a live turkey

My concern is this, game 1 all I had was rum. Barbados rum, brand mt. gay. I mixed it every which way that night. That's because I drove from virginia down to north carolina and forgot to bring my wild turkey with me and by the time the game started (9pm eastern), the store was closed. 

Then for game 2, I was invited to a neighbor's house, as you know. Now I was the one to decide on bringing the duckhorn. It was a good choice.

Earlier that day I did make sure to go out and get some wild turkey, felling remorse from the night before. However, I didn't want to take it over to the neighbor's, one: because it just wasn't the right vibe for that situation, walking in with an *open bootle of turkey, and two: because it would have been proper etiquette to share it with them and likely leave it with them ... which would have been out of the question for me.

*Open because knowing that I didn't want to leave the bottle with the neighbors, I started in and had a couple turkey mixed drinks before going over there. So my solution to having turkey for the game itself was to pour some into an empty ginger ale bottle I had and carried it with me over there. So, long story short we all finished off the duckhorn merlot and then I calmly went to my bag and got the ginger ale bottle with turkey in it and started with that. 

Now, when I started to hit the turkey that's when the game opened up for us in the 7th ... and of course I said to myself: "the turkey is workin'."

Obviously.

But since then, for both game 3 and game 4, it's been nothing but wild turkey for me the last two nights, and bunkum with the results. I tried it straight up, I tried it clean over the rocks, with seltzer, mixed with an oldfahioned, mixed with bitters, mixed with some coke ... I've tried it every which way to try and get the offense going.

So, I'm at a bit of an impasse. I might be questioning my faith. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Word.... "You made my 11 year old son cry," and "Mom dressed up as a shark," (presumably for said 11 year old son) sounds incredibly disturbing

I'm talking about making the 11 year old cry. At that age baseball can seem mythic and exciting, why ruin a child's experience like that? If I was the parent I would be pissed to.

29 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I'm talking about making the 11 year old cry. At that age baseball can seem mythic and exciting, why ruin a child's experience like that? If I was the parent I would be pissed to.

This kid wasn't even rooting for anything.  He was standing just to stand and then forcing rows of people to stand up.  Everyone in our section stood up when it was necessary .

I’m saying it:  it’s tone to retire the blue jerseys. The magic is gone.  Time to pull out the Red ones.  

@Mr. Sinister, extra turkey sacrifices today.  

I’m planning on a turkey sandwich for lunch and a turkey leg for dinner.

Tonight is must win.  Gotta give Stras a chance to win the whole enchilada. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

This kid wasn't even rooting for anything.  He was standing just to stand and then forcing rows of people to stand up.  Everyone in our section stood up when it was necessary .

I think the message itself is good and necessary (there's an appropriate time to stand at a live sports game.  The entire game is usually not it).  I also think the mother or other adult figure attending failed their part in not imparting lessons about appropriate decorum.

But I think the part about making the child cry is what gives many of us pause.  Now certainly, the situation can escalate into hostility, especially if the parent figure doesn't step in to do their part in acknowledging fault, but also protecting their child.  But the initial message could have been delivered in a kind and gentle way (not saying it wasn't, obviously I don't know) or through an intermediary like an usher.  I think lot of us are thinking, boy it sounds like an unfortunate situation where things could've been handled better by all involved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

I mean, to me if you’re at a World Series game and want to stand, that’s your right and if you want to see what’s going on, stand up.  

I was at a Skins game years ago and we were losing to the Giants (typical) and the game was kinda getting out of control but I was standing because ... I dunno.  I felt like I wanted to at that moment.  The jackass behind me told me to sit down and I told him politely to go **** himself.   

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I'm so glad the Junkies aren't on Saturday and Sunday.  Imagine how ****ing annoying EB would be today.

He should be part of the turkey sacrifices tonight for the ridiculous tempting fate on Thursday and Friday morning.

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

So, I'm at a bit of an impasse. I might be questioning my faith.

AC8EF0DD-69BE-4763-A24A-97562383F0B2.jpeg.ac96849f2f4466c5466f2705a9b6e278.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Nothing worse than “fans” who tell other fans that they need to sit down like they’re judge and jury about when its time to cheer and stand up vs when it’s not.  Especially when it’s a kid.  It’s the World Series.  Go home and sit on your couch if you feel there’s nothing to cheer for.

• Like 1