Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I understand it’s one game, but if Kieboom plays well this last month+ it could definitely change how they approach the offseason.

This team needs to make improvements offensively. How? They lost Candelario and Garcia did not step up. Smith doesn’t give you much offensively, but he stabilizes the infield defense. Meneses is middle of the road that doesn’t have the power you want for DH, but does     put the ball in play and gets on base. The problem is that your 1B/DH doesn’t give you the pop that you’d like. However the chemistry is great. What happens if one or both go?

Ideally, Kieboom is available and healthy and can provide a bridge until House is ready. Can Lipscomb win the 2B job and can he provide the defense you need as he learns the position.

I’m leaning to the feeling that Crews makes the OD roster while Wood, Hassell, and House start in the minors.

What should they target outside the organization? I like the idea of going after Bellinger on a short term/high dollar contract. He could hit FA again at 30. He could play CF while you play service time games with Crews, then move to 1B. However, I think he’d be a tough sign because I could see him wanting to play CF to maximize his value. That opportunity in DC would be short.

I wasn’t a fan of the Hoskins idea because he’s not a good 1B. But I’m coming around to the idea of his 30+ HR potential in the middle of the order.

If he was DH, would there be a place for Meneses? Would you rather have  Meneses/Hoskins/Garrett at 1B/DH/LF; Hoskins/Meneses/Garrett; Smith/Hoskins/Garrett; Smith/Hoskins/Meneses?

I could see the position players be:

Abrams 6

Crews 8

Thomas 9

Hoskins DH

Ruiz 2

Garrett 7

Smith 3

Kieboom 5

Lipscomb 4

Bench:

Adams

Vargas

Alu

Call

Alu could get ABs in LF and 2B. Davy rarely uses his 13th man, that’s why I have Call to PR/OF replacement.

Then you have Wood and House pushing their way up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

****ing lame game plus stone garrett got hurt

Brutal for Garrett. Fortunately it sounds like a fibula fracture with no ankle injury. He has a good chance for full recovery by March. Downs is added to the 26 man.

Kieboom sat last night. I think you got to play him everyday to see what you have.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd much rather see Kieboom than Vargas at this point: -0.2 bWAR, 79 OPS+.

I don’t mind if Vargas gets ABs at 2B, LF, and 3B if you decide to DH Kieboom from time to time. He’s a good utility backup and I don’t mind him getting rewarded with more ABs as the season winds down. But, like you say, we know who he is. They need to make decisions on Rutherford, Alu, and Kieboom. I’d rather do that and let the big 5 remain together in Harrisburg this season.

I understand those that want Crews and Wood up. I just wouldn’t do it.

• Like 2

That's sad.  I don't think his career went any way that anyone wanted it to, but when he was healthy and when he was on, he was ****ing fantastic.  Had he been able to stay healthy, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have been a Hall of Famer.  And when he came up, there was a certain buzz around town that was palpable.  When he made his first career start against the Pirates and struck out 14 with no walks, that was one of those "I remember where I was," type of moments.  For the Nats, it felt like their fortunes had changed.  

I realize that he pitched a little in 2020-2022 but IMO, he went out in a blaze of glory for the 2019 season as the Nats won the World Series and he won WS MVP.  He is a postseason legend.

So for that, I'm choosing to view his retirement as going out on a high note even though the last few years have been injury riddled.  He will always be a DC legend, I think there's probably enough for the Nats to retire his number.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's sad.  I don't think his career went any way that anyone wanted it to, but when he was healthy and when he was on, he was ****ing fantastic. 

It will be like a European movie. He reached the greatest heights but still had a sad ending. End of the way, he will always be a WS MVP. If he can get the right medical help to be able to live a normal life, pick up his kids, etc. We'll look back in years, decades, as a great player who didn't last longer. Terrell Davis like. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It really is painful to process what's happened to Stras career hearing he retired today.

Like, I apologize for ever insinuating he was just milking us for money at this point and fully respect his decision to just end it all versus continuing to try and play and earn his full contract.

None of that matters, he didn't deserve this.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Love Stras.  

I think he'll go down as one of the most polarizing ballplayers ever outside of cheaters. If you take away the incredibly high expectations, he was just an awesome pitcher when healthy, but had trouble staying healthy.  

Most polarizing ballplayers ever, eh? Right up there with Ty Cobb and Pete Rose? Totally. 

• Thanks 1