Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

14 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I haven't been able to watch (no cable) but I did listen to Charlie and Dave a little bit. What went wrong this series? A little bit of everything?

A little bit of everything - a fielding error yesterday allowed MIA to tie it 4-4, Gray throwing 86 pitches in 4 innings (4 BBs) forced the BP to come in early, Finnegan couldn't hold the tie (6th pitcher in the game), 2-8 RISP. I missed it but Gray was pissed at the end of the 1st (he gave up 3 runs) but I'm not sure why he was mad. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The thing that pisses me off is that the Mets are garbage. Spare me the diatribe about how we are also garbage and that we are expected to lose to those type of teams. No. I don't believe that. "Check the standings. We're supposed to lose to them." Yes, this is the same club that beat the Reds, Giants, Rangers et al. Where has the scrap gone?

August was so hot but they really hit earth hard in September. What a shame.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I don't like losing to those bamas. Especially when they have been underachieving all year, you can't smack them down last night?

14 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Terrible stretch. Can't pitch. Can't hit. Sloppy fielding. Zero scrap. 

We were playing WAY above our heads, it was not sustainable. Add to that Corbin has disintegrated more than usual, and a lineup of potential backups and organizational filler, we aren't going to win many more games.

It's more important to get Young, Alu, Kieboom, Millas et al to see if they have anything at the ML level.

Did I mention Corbin sucks? Well, he sucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

probably one of those companies that pops up around ashburn with those data centers

There's too many of them out there now, its weird.

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Nats won in a comeback bid last night. 6 game streak is ovah

Not just a comeback but in the park walk off : )

#scrapy

31 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Any idea what it says? It’s behind a paywall.

According to sources briefed on the matter, Rizzo is believed to be seeking the same length contract, which is one of several hang-ups in the negotiations, though it is widely believed Rizzo will remain in D.C. The Lerners hired him as an assistant GM in 2006 and made him interim GM in ’09 before fully appointing him to his current role. The 62-year-old has led baseball operations ever since, overseeing the Nationals’ 2019 World Series title.

The Lerner family is still exploring a potential sale of the team, though the Nationals’ long-fought rights fees lawsuit with the Baltimore Orioles — with whom they share the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network — complicates matters.

Wednesday’s paring comes as a shock — at least publicly — as Rizzo made it clear prior to the 2022 season, when a majority of those people were hired, that rebuilding the scouting and player development department post-pandemic was a priority.

“We’re going to be active in adding staff at the scouting level and on the player development level,” Rizzo said at the general managers meeting after the 2021 season. “Over the last couple years, with the COVID setbacks, we lost a lot of personnel. We need to rectify that and make sure that we’ve got the staff to scout players and develop players.”

The Nationals entered Thursday 63-77, though the rebuilding club is 27-23 in the second half, and showed some encouraging signs in a 17-win August. Washington has not had a winning season since winning the World Series, prompting Rizzo to trade stars Juan Soto, Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to help replenish what was previously considered one of the worst farm systems in the game. Wednesday’s firings certainly prompt questions about how much the organization will continue to prioritize scouting moving forward.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Ghiroli is well plugged in. I just have a tough time believing that though. Open up the books, if that’s the case.

It's an interesting situation, Jesse Dougherty had a much less viceral take on it. It seems like Ghiroli, who I like a lot, is infusing her opinion into that story.

More will be revealed.

• Like 1

Here's all we need to know about the Strasburg story:

Jesse Dougherty: They're still hammering out details.

Bob Nightengale: Scott Boras said the Nationals told him they were changing the terms with no further explanation.

Dougherty or Nightengale/Boras....

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Here's all we need to know about the Strasburg story:

Jesse Dougherty: They're still hammering out details.

Bob Nightengale: Scott Boras said the Nationals told him they were changing the terms with no further explanation.

Dougherty or Nightengale/Boras....

Whatever it is, it’s a bad look. If details weren’t finalized before, they shouldn’t have announced a date for his retirement celebration. Now that it’s been postponed, the fans are missing out.

• Like 2

https://theathletic.com/4844046/2023/09/08/washington-nationals-ownership-mike-rizzo/?amp=1

In a city known for political machinations, Washington Nationals ownership sure looks like it is pulling a power play on president of baseball operations Mike Rizzo.

Want a contract extension, Mike? OK, but we’ll take care of manager Davey Martinez first. Want to keep your job, Mike? Fine, but it will be on our terms, and we’re slashing your front-office staff and hitting you where it hurts most, at your scouting roots.