Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

We should absolutely not trade Soto.  There is no package of prospects good enough to be fair compensation for a generational player.  We need to open up our wallets and pay the man.  29 AAV is a major low ball offer, make him a real offer and make sure he retires as the greatest Nationals player ever.

Just now, Going Commando said:

We should absolutely not trade Soto.  There is no package of prospects good enough to be fair compensation for a generational player.  We need to open up our wallets and pay the man.  29 AAV is a major low ball offer, make him a real offer and make sure he retires as the greatest Nationals player ever.

How high would you be willing to go?  What would you put in front of him today for him to pass up the chance to hit FA where he can get that sweet, sweet Cohen money?

• Like 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

They made another offer of well over $450m and increased AAV, with no back loading, that he turned down. No amount of wishful thinking is going to force him to sign. Scott Boras is not negotiating. He will take Soto to free agency. Trade him or lose him for nothing. Those are the only options.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They made another offer of well over $450m and increased AAV, with no back loading, that he turned down. No amount of wishful thinking is going to force him to sign. Scott Boras is not negotiating. He will take Soto to free agency. Trade him or lose him for nothing. Those are the only options.

You know. Id still make an over $500M offer today that makes the AAV the highest with that length. Even if it's turned down. So you can say you did. 

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

You know. Id still make an over $500M offer today that makes the AAV the highest with that length. Even if it's turned down. So you can say you did. 

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't (side note--I still think Boras was the one who leaked the $440m offer...), but Rizzo went from "we're not trading him" to "we need to explore all options" pretty quickly. He is not a knee-jerk, reactionary type. Something was said or done in those negotiations that changed his mind. I think he and the Lerners know they have 0% chance of resigning him before free agency. None.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't (side note--I still think Boras was the one who leaked the $440m offer...), but Rizzo went from "we're not trading him" to "we need to explore all options" pretty quickly. He is not a knee-jerk, reactionary type. Something was said or done in those negotiations that changed his mind. I think he and the Lerners know they have 0% chance of resigning him before free agency. None.

I agree the leak came from the Boras side. 

I also know ownership is the excuse Boras is giving now. If they really intend to sell, good. Maybe they made an over 500M offer. You're right. We don't know. 

Return in the winter would be less than right now. But I'd rather at least let new owners get a crack at it before moving on. 

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

And, you know what?  If we were close to contending, I’d live with the fact that we’d likely lose him for nothing.  And try to win in ‘23 and ‘24.  But we are nowhere close to being competitive these next two years.

• Like 1

Just now, Ball Security said:

And, you know what?  If we were close to contending, I’d live with the fact that we’d likely lose him for nothing.  And try to win in ‘23 and ‘24.  But we are nowhere close to being competitive these next two years.

Wholly agree--people are acting like we're tearing apart a team that's 2.5 games out of a wild card spot, hypothetically speaking...

I always thought 15 years 440 was kind of a weird offer.  Kind of structured oddly because why care if you have him in his age 35-38 seasons.  I wonder if Rizzo offered a handful of deals that were structured differently and Boras leaks the one that is the longest but with a lower AAV that people latch onto. 

• Like 1

Take with a Tony Montana pile of cocaine level of salt, it's Booby Nightengale:

6 minutes ago, Captain James said:

At least we will have always had Ryan Zimmerman...

Watch and don't be sad it's over, smile because it happened:

That's not a bad group coming back.

****in Padres, though.  Soto, Machado, Tatis and they'll still never be able to hang with the Dodgers.  Cause the Dodgers (say what you will) do it right.  Yeah, they spend a lot of money but it's usually to keep their own guys they've developed.  And their system is still fantastic.

Really sad to see Soto go, bummed the Nats couldn't figure it out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still would have wanted more. We literally traded Ted Williams 2.0 who is freaking 23 and still has over two years left.

At least I got to see this franchise literally be built from nothing to win a championship. But I think I'm done for the forseeable future.