Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Out of all the terrifying things that can happens to you in the realm of sports, I think seeing a hundred mph pitch coming at you live has to be up there.

I don't even know how cats see that, let alone be like "I'm gonna crush this **** into orbit"

Utterly terrifying

100 mph coming at you from Rick Ankiel immediately after his brain broke and he lost the ability to control it. :ols:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Out of all the terrifying things that can happens to you in the realm of sports, I think seeing a hundred mph pitch coming at you live has to be up there.

I don't even know how cats see that, let alone be like "I'm gonna crush this **** into orbit"

Utterly terrifying

Growing up I played, and I can remember just how it felt the first time I stepped into a cage that had an option of 80mph.  That's a lollipop at this level and it took me a good while to feel comfortable even getting in the box.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Growing up I played, and I can remember just how it felt the first time I stepped into a cage that had an option of 80mph.  That's a lollipop at this level and it took me a good while to feel comfortable even getting in the box.  

Yeah, I also recall similar stuff when I was younger... The stuff that seems so mundane on tv.

I remember going to see one of the then Expo's minor league games (they were called the Cape Fear Crocs) and seeing a dude foul off a ball. You don't think anything of it watching on tv, but this cat fouled off a pitch and I swear that mf'er looked like it launched from Cape Canaveral  😂

Went rocketing behind him, past the crowd, and landed somewhere outside the concourse. The sound was unreal too. Sounded like a thunderclap.

I've never been at any non hs/college baseball game and been close enough to hear the bat crack like that. Spooky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Utterly terrifying

This is why baseball is ****ing amazing and Rob Manfred is a ****ing moron.

From the MLBTR chat:

Ronald Acuna
4:17
I've seen you say you're shocked how wide of a margin I beat Soto by multiple times. Your bias is showing. Acuna is clearly the all-around better baseball player. Defense and base running actually matter.

Steve Adams
4:17
What bias do you think I have, first off? Ha.

4:19
Secondly -- Soto's OBP was 40 points higher. He struck out 5% less often and walked 6% more often. On-base percentage also matters, and the two weren't really different baserunners unless in terms of overall value contributed unless you're looking only at raw SB totals. Acuna was a better defender with more power (a bit), but Soto did everything he did at a younger age and was an overall better hitter by both OPS+ and wRC+ (albeit by only a slight margin)

I think one of the two of us is showing more bias, particularly since all I said was, "It should've been closer," ha.
  • Like 2

Yea, I remember going from Little League (age 9-12, which I dominated) to what we called Senior League (age 13-16).  I didn't play on my older brother's team, and he could throw 75 when he was 16 and I was 13, and there was always that voice in my head telling me he was going to bean me just to be a dick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Utterly terrifying

In HS, we went to a camp down in Lynchburg that had a pitching machine that could hit 103.  After taking normal BP, our coach upped it to 90; then 95, then 100, then 103. You hear the ball at 100, it literally hisses. The first pitch, you time it. The second pitch you start to process. The third pitch you think about swinging. I made contact on pitch 5 (a foul tip with my bat barely reaching the back of the plate at contact). I made solid contact on pitch 6 (would have been a grounder to 2B). After about 20 pitches it seems almost normal. But that is with a machine hitting the same softball sized spot with the same speed and pitch. Once coach started mixing in sliders and curves, screwed myself into the ground. It was at that point I realized HS was going to be the end of my baseball days. Fielding and baserunning? I could have played in college. Batting? Mendoza line would have been a good season. 😂

Edited by Popeman38

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, I remember going from Little League (age 9-12, which I dominated) to what we called Senior League (age 13-16).  I didn't play on my older brother's team, and he could throw 75 when he was 16 and I was 13, and there was always that voice in my head telling me he was going to bean me just to be a dick.

👀

PB=Bryce Harper confirmed!!!!!

Come back Bryce!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Utterly terrifying

remember what Randy Johnson did to that bird?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Utterly terrifying

Last game of high school baseball, faced a kid that was probably around 80/low 80s mph. Best I could do was foul it down 1st base line stands. Could barely see it. 

MLB players basically have super human eyesight. But I still can't even imagine upper 90s/100 mph.

• Like 1