Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1-12-1: That’s Our Record in This Game Historically. So, We Are Due...

kleese

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I remember beating Dallas to end the season to clinch a playoff birth maybe 10 years ago.   Gibbs' team with Collins ran off a big win streak at the end to make the playoffs, same with 2012 with Griffin. Any of those games would have ended the season with a loss.  Don't they count?  

That Dallas game in 07 was kind of meh because the Cowboys had already clinched, and, unlike the Giants in 16, had a good sense that they were probably going to rest guys at some point relatively early in the game . I think the other games in the streak  (Chicago, NY, Minn) could count, but I think one of Ed's criteria was that the season would not end with a win or loss. If we lose any of those three games, we are probably toast. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I dont see the 2012 game on that list. Wouldn’t that have been an opportunity game? 

Also the thread title threw me off a bit, by the “this game” part, i figured you were going to be talking about JUST our record against the cowboys on thanksgiving (which I think is just as bad as 1-12-1)

Nope those were essentially do-or-die games. We had no margin for error in any of them and at no point that season did we have an opportunity to "take control" of anything. They were clutch as hell down that stretch but doesn't really fit what we are talking about here. 

One advantage of adding more youth to this team in the off-season is that these rookies and especially the Alabama guys do not care about our historical dismal record against Dallas.  They want to win and bring to the Skins the playoffs for the first time in years since we last played the Lions in our last playoff game.

Hope Colt can find the magic to throw some long touchdown throws to some Skins receivers- but we have no downhill speed receivers like Moss on this team.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:
1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Lot of bets against the redskins...  I don’t like it.

That’s actually a good thing more often than not.

.....unless it is our own players, coaches, or owner making the bets......

This synopsis makes me wonder how I've hung in there with this team all these years.

If we can pull out a win tomorrow we will win the division, book it. We need the rest and would look good sitting at 7-4 with an 11 day rest to get healthy. It also gives Colt tons of time to prepare. It will take a monumental effort but Jay better figure out a way to get this done....

7 hours ago, kleese said:

This game completely fits the definition— season is not over if we lose and it’s entirely possible we get another 1-2 this year depending on how things go ala 1996-1999. If we win, we are in the drivers seat for the East and our playoff odds skyrocket. 

Forget the past. Even if we lose, we're going to win another 3 games (at least), giving us 9 wins. Should be enough for a WC given the way the NFC is going so far.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

True.

I just checked BetQL and they have 57% of the public taking the Skins right now.  The line opened at 8, now 7.

So not sure what CousinsCowgirl was referring to.

That’s what I’ve seen as well. Not loving the fact the Redskins are the public play this week. Because of that, if I had to lay a bet, I’d lay it on Dallas. 

4 minutes ago, kleese said:

That’s what I’ve seen as well. Not loving the fact the Redskins are the public play this week. Because of that, if I had to lay a bet, I’d lay it on Dallas. 

Same.  Although I am thinking about including them in my teaser at +13.

If we lose on Thanksgiving and spend the next week and a half hearing about Dallas’ division, I’ll lose my mind.

I dunno…..getting the nerves about this games.

We beat them in 2012 with RG3, but from a fan's perspective, it didn't seem like a lot of pressure, because at 4-6 going into it, we thought our postseason hopes were pretty much nonexistent at the time.

Kind of the same with 2014...….we had fallen into such a hole that season, and Dallas was crushing it. 

In 2016, I really wanted to win the game, but the Cowboys were again really rolling that it. We were too, having gone 6-1-1 in the previous 8, but again didn't think we were going to catch Dallas in the division. Considered it a moral victory of sorts that we went toe-to-toe and almost pulled it out.

For tomorrow, getting the nerves of us being 6-4 and them being 5-5 at their place. Yes, I keep hearing about the 2014 MNF game with Colt, but lets also remember several weeks later Colt, albeit with a bad team, was pretty bad himself at FedEx against a mediocre Rams team. Somehow I can see it playing out that we grab the lead early but Dallas comes back in the second half and takes it.

And I also just have this hunch that Mr Sanchez will make an appearance in this game. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

I dunno…..getting the nerves about this games.

We beat them in 2012 with RG3, but from a fan's perspective, it didn't seem like a lot of pressure, because at 4-6 going into it, we thought our postseason hopes were pretty much nonexistent at the time.

Kind of the same with 2014...….we had fallen into such a hole that season, and Dallas was crushing it. 

In 2016, I really wanted to win the game, but the Cowboys were again really rolling that it. We were too, having gone 6-1-1 in the previous 8, but again didn't think we were going to catch Dallas in the division. Considered it a moral victory of sorts that we went toe-to-toe and almost pulled it out.

For tomorrow, getting the nerves of us being 6-4 and them being 5-5 at their place. Yes, I keep hearing about the 2014 MNF game with Colt, but lets also remember several weeks later Colt, albeit with a bad team, was pretty bad himself at FedEx against a mediocre Rams team. Somehow I can see it playing out that we grab the lead early but Dallas comes back in the second half and takes it.

And I also just have this hunch that Mr Sanchez will make an appearance in this game. 

I really hope your hunch in correct and Jay wants to give Sanchez some game time for the future during our route tomorrow. 

The detail I remember about the 2000 Eagles game was that it came right after we had pulled off a MNF upset at the Rams. But Stephen Davis had gotten hurt and we had to roll with Skip Hicks against Philly. On one drive we wound up having two sets of downs from inside the Eagles 3 and wound up having to settle for a FG. I was gobsmacked. 

7 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

One advantage of adding more youth to this team in the off-season is that these rookies and especially the Alabama guys do not care about our historical dismal record against Dallas.  They want to win and bring to the Skins the playoffs for the first time in years since we last played the Lions in our last playoff game.

Hope Colt can find the magic to throw some long touchdown throws to some Skins receivers- but we have no downhill speed receivers like Moss on this team.

wooooooow. you must not remember 2005, 2007, 2012, or 2015 at all. especially 2015, which was our last playoff game....the game against the lions was 1999 season (January 2000). maybe you meant bring the skins a home playoff win for the first time since the 1999 season, but just didn't add that part? that would have been much clearer....

18 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yep it's when everyone picks the skins is when it gets worrying..

And the money today is on the Skins. Old saying something along the lines of if the public is heavy on an underdog, you go heavy on the favorite. 

14 minutes ago, kleese said:

And the money today is on the Skins. Old saying something along the lines of if the public is heavy on an underdog, you go heavy on the favorite. 

Well I don't gamble much kleese but I do have a funny story..when I turned 21 the ol man held to his word and took me to Vegas..we get checked in to the hotel and first thing first hit up a strip club..I get a private dance and the dancer gives me "her number"...I spent the rest of the trip(day and a half)calling this dancer(of course never getting an answer)from the hotel missing out on all the gambling lol..

I've just always noticed when the skins are favored things don't turn out to hot.

39 minutes ago, kleese said:

I tried to balance that out by taking Skins +7 & No/ATL under 60 on a parlay.  

I didnt bet bet a lot but wanted something on the line today.  While the Skins are the public play, So is the over for ATL/NO.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I tried to balance that out by taking Skins +7 & No/ATL under 60 on a parlay.  

I didnt bet bet a lot but wanted something on the line today.  While the Skins are the public play, So is the over for ATL/NO.

And of course, sometimes the public wins; just not as frequently as the house. I’ve always deployed a system similar to the Kevin Sheehan “smell test.” If you see a line and think “wow, that seems high/low” go the opposite the opposite side. For example, the line opened at Dallas -9, which was a total invite from the books for people to bet on the Skins. Gotta ask yourself why Vegas would set it up like that. Only good thing is that Dallas is generally a public team and they could have been hedging against a massive loss had they set it too low. Either way, while I have a good gut feel for this game, the Vegas angle is troubling. 

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

And of course, sometimes the public wins; just not as frequently as the house. I’ve always deployed a system similar to the Kevin Sheehan “smell test.” If you see a line and think “wow, that seems high/low” go the opposite the opposite side. For example, the line opened at Dallas -9, which was a total invite from the books for people to bet on the Skins. Gotta ask yourself why Vegas would set it up like that. Only good thing is that Dallas is generally a public team and they could have been hedging against a massive loss had they set it too low. Either way, while I have a good gut feel for this game, the Vegas angle is troubling. 

1st start for a QB, with no practice, and on the road in a primetime game.  I can see why

51 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

God, being a fan of this team sucks...

I remember most of those games.

I think that KC game last year was another one 

You know that’s a pretty good one too. Just a tad too early in the season for me to include it, but I get why you’d put it there. 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

God, being a fan of this team sucks...

I remember most of those games.

I think that KC game last year was another one 

What sucks about it to me is that we had very few of Kleese's "opportunity" games in the past 20 years, and it hasn't been because we're the Patriots. Too many years, our season has actually been over by Thanksgiving.

Archived