Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1-12-1: That’s Our Record in This Game Historically. So, We Are Due...

kleese

Ah, well at least this feels familiar. 1-13-1 now and 1-14-1 if you include that Steelers game I probably should have included originally. 

Brutal. 

So no the season is not over, but this (like all the others listed in this thread) is very deflating. 

We might actually get one or even two more chances to add to this list this year depending how things go. 

If NOLA beats Dallas then you’d probably call the game at Philly an “opportunity game” as well. Oh joy. At this point it might behoove us to root FOR Dallas moving forward to end this quickly. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

So.....was this a Norv-like game?

In the sense that we lost a game we were hyped for? Yes. In terms of the game itself? This feels different. Under Norv so many of those losses felt self-inflicted. We’d be in great position and then blow it. Today, I don’t feel like we “choked” or gave the game away. We gave up two massive plays on physical errors that swung the game wildly and our QB didn’t take care of the ball. 

I tbink get one more chance for sure next Monday Night. Regardless of what happens elsewhere, if we beat Philly we likely make a huge % jump in terms of playoffs. 

22 hours ago, hail2skins said:

What sucks about it to me is that we had very few of Kleese's "opportunity" games in the past 20 years, and it hasn't been because we're the Patriots. Too many years, our season has actually been over by Thanksgiving.

Sheehan just tweeted something out that will make you cry.

Despite the loss yesterday, this will be the third time in the past 27 seasons that the Skins have entered December either tied for (1996 and 2018) or in sole possession of (1999) the lead in the NFC East.

Three times. In 27 seasons. 20 of which have been under the current ownership.

Dan Snyder, you really suck.

37 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Sheehan just tweeted something out that will make you cry.

Despite the loss yesterday, this will be the third time in the past 27 seasons that the Skins have entered December either tied for (1996 and 2018) or in sole possession of (1999) the lead in the NFC East.

Three times. In 27 seasons. 20 of which have been under the current ownership.

Dan Snyder, you really suck.

This why it really isn’t “same ole’ Redskins.” This isn’t obviously not a position with which we are familiar.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:15 AM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yep, once Philly brutally kills us and Dallas loses to NO, then we’ll all be tied at 6-6

that’ll be same ole Skins 

nothing ever changes 

Dude, that really isn’t same

ole Skins— unless you only go back two years. I go back a lot farther than that...back to the early 80’s. If you use 1993 as the negative turning point for the franchise, being tied for first in the division with four to play is NOT same ole Skins. Now, it may not be a place that excites you as fan and that’s perfectly fine. But same ole Skins on average since 1993 would have us significantly below where we are now with nothing on the line over the final quarter of the season. 

Starting 6-3, 6-3-1, 6-2, 7-1, etc. and then completely collapsing is a certainly a form of same old Skins in my lifetime. Every time they luck into that, they **** it up. It’s a rarity to get to that point but it happens. One day, Im going to see if any other team has achieved that level of self destruction from a seemingly strong position. For most teams, getting to that record usually means 75-80% chance at the playoffs. Not us.  

In fact, every playoff year requires some miracle run from the cellar to the top with the exception being 1999 when i was 6. They started 5-2 and actually still made the playoffs. That team should probably get a statue 

Looks like they are poised to have two games in a row for first place in the division, assuming Dallas loses to NO, against two division rivals on national TV.

I agree that being in that position is unique.  I can't think of a parallel to that where we got back to back games like that this late in the season.

However, if they lose both of them (they already lost one of them) it feels a bit same old same.

Exceptions being beating Dallas in 2012 and the Eagles in 2015.  But I don't think there were back to back games in that mix like we got now but might be forgetting.

Being a contender this late in the season is unique, I heard Sheehan talk about it saying they've only been in first or tied for first 3 times at this juncture of the year since 1992 if I recall. 

But what feels familiar if it happens just falling behind and not winning the division is obviously a familiar feeling.  Ditto the season slipping away some at this juncture also seems recently familiar -- its very 2016-2017 especially 2016 where at one juncture the records were very similar and we had almost the identical refrain of talking about how playoffs were inevitable until they weren't.

Beating the Eagles I think changes the narrative -- big game -- even bigger than that Dallas game if Dallas loses to NO this Thursday.

looking at these schedules back to back, they need to seize the day.  😎

Archived