Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1-12-1: That’s Our Record in This Game Historically. So, We Are Due...

kleese

So I started this venture with a few games in my head. Once I went back and dug into it a bit I was surprised at how many of these games met my criteria and even more surprised to see how many of these games met my criteria. I was less surprised to see how many were bunched up during the Norv years— as these types of games were truly his “speciality.” 

Before I go any further let’s define what I’m talking about here. First of all, this is admittedly subjective. You could make an argument that certain games could be added/subtracted from this list. I did try and be very consistent with how/why I chose them though. 

This is NOT simply of list of “big games.” We’ve played a lot of those. Won some, lost more. It’s also not a list of “desperation games.” We’ve actually been pretty darn good in those games. And the very obvious “giant games” like the finale in 2012 or 2016 or playoff games aren’t listed because there is no need to define how important those games were— they define themselves. 

So what was I looking for? I guess I’ll call them “opportunity games.” 

1. The season would not end with either a win or a loss. Either way when the game ended, the season was still alive from a competitive standpoint.

1. Had to be a game where even today in hindsight it is clear that an alternate outcome could have a great effect on the way the season ultimately ended. 

1. This is the most subjective part.. the game had to have a certain “feel” even at the time it was played. An added dash of intensity and excitement for these games going in. 

1. The game stands on its own. As an example, in 2005 we started 3-0; we then played back to back at Denver and at Kansas City. I felt it was big at the time to win one of those two games and be 4-1. But it didn’t really matter which one. I grouped them together... similar to other seasons where you look at a portion of the schedule and say “we need to win 2 of the next 3” or whatever. 

Like with all things Redskins, I believe the “glory years” ended the day Gibbs retired the first time; meaning this list begins in 1993. 

So here you go...

—November 17th, 1996: Win at Eagles 27-23: I’ve chronicled this game many times on ES here. Amongst my friends this is forever known as the “F$&? Yeah, Mom!” game. It’s a long story... I’ve told it here before. Anyway, this was a massive game at the Vet. After our 7-1 start we’d lost two in a row and faced a tense situation with things feeling like they were slipping away. This was a great game. It was one of the very first truly huge games we played under Norv... it was not a sign of things to come. Gus played well, the game went back and forth, and we held the Eagles off at the very end. Extremely exciting game that left me screaming expletives at my friends in my dorm room freshmen year of college. 

—November 24th, 1996: Loss vs 49ers 19-16 OT: 22 years later this one still really hurts. Just one week after the Eagles game. At 8-3 this was a chance to take a step towards becoming one of the top seeds in the NFC against a team that had basically been in that spot for the last decade and a half. This was another fabulous game and one of the few games we lost under Norv where I really felt we played well and played smart all day. We broke a 9-9 tie with a TD drive. All we needed was one stop. The Niners tried to give it to us. They fumbled the kickoff. I can’t remember who it is on ES that said this but I know he said he was there and when that play took place he said it was as loud as he ever heard RFK. There was a scrum for the ball. But SF somehow came away with it. Steve Young then led them to their only TD of the day on the final drive. He did it again for the winning FG in OT. To this day that is about as deflated and listless as I’ve ever been after a loss. Not angry. Just dejected. It was right there. To this day I still kinda feel like that was the last gasp game for the “old era” Redskins during the last season at RFK. 

—November 28th, 1996: Loss at Cowboys 21-10: Yep, third game in a row from same season, all within 11 days. This was a unique stretch where each of these games really mattered individually. Even after the Niners loss we were in good shape at 8-4. But Dallas was on our heels. So this set up as a game that was likely to decide the division. We hung around early but things didn’t feel right. I have always felt that SF loss zapped them. Cowboys put us away in fourth and the entire feel of the 1996 season had changed. From 7-1 to 8-5 with two crushing losses in four days (yes this was on Thanksgiving). I was still confident we’d win two of next three to secure a playoff berth, but we followed this up with two complete duds against terrible Arizona and Tampa teams to seal our fate. 

—October 5th, 1997: Loss at Eagles 24-10: Earliest game on my list and I was iffy on including it but I think it applies. We were 3-1 and looking strong to start the season. Eagles were struggling coming in with just one win. This was an early season game where we could have taken control of the division. We laid an egg. Got behind early, made somewhat of a comeback to get within 7 and then the Eagles scored a TD to put the game away. This was one of the first times I remember beginning to really wonder about Norv in these spots. 

—November 16, 1997: Loss at Cowboys 17-14: After an up and down season to that point we had a real opportunity during this late afternoon game at Dallas. This is another one that still kind of stings. We had a 14-6 lead in the fourth. Airman leads them on a drive and throws a TD to Irving; followed by a two point conversion to Emmitt. They get the ball back late and kick a FG to win it. What I vividly remember is one play where Aikman threw a pass that was batted up in the air (can’t remember if it was on the TD drive or the FG drive). Somehow instead of an INT, it was caught by a Cowboys off the deflection for a first down. I can still see that ball in the air. This game is almost IDENTICAL to the situation we are in this week. 

—November 23rd, 1997: Tie vs Giants 7-7: I’ve written so much about this game over the years that I don’t have the energy to rehash it now. Even though the Dallas loss the week before hurt, this was a chance against another division rival to get back on track. Redskins win this game and the division is right there for them, and a wild card looks like a worst case scenario. But we all know what happened... the most exasperating game in my Redskins lifetime. So 1997, three chances against our three division rivals... 0-2-1.

—October 24th, 1999: Loss at Cowboys 38-20: The reason 1999 isn’t as memorable to me as it is to some others is because we had SO much more in us that year and we left it on the table. The NFC was WAY down that season, the door was wide open. We finished 10-6 and won the division so how bad could it have been? But we had many opportunities that year to really vault ourselves... possibly as high as the #1 seed. This was the first of those opportunities. After our crushing loss to Dallas week 1 at home, we had rebounded while Dallas had been so-so. Win this game and we more or less avenge the week one loss and establish ourselves as the lead dog in the East. Instead, we got blasted in the second half. This is the game where Snyder was spotted chastising Norv near the locker room post game. 

—December 5th, 1999: Loss at Lions 33-17: lions came into this game at 7-4; this was a chance for us to earn the tie breaker with them and take a big step towards a bye week in the playoffs. We crapped ourselves. Game got away late. 

—December 19th, 1999: Loss at Colts 24-21: This was a fun game and it felt really big at the time. We were on the favorites in the NFC and the Colts had taken the AFC by storm. There was even a little talk of a possible Super Bowl preview. This game felt very big at the time. Lived up the billing; very entertaining game. It was tight throughout, but Indy always seemed a step ahead. If I remember correctly we just couldn’t get them off the field on third down or on a big drive late. 1999 was a fine season for the Skins.. a division title, a playoff win, and a one point loss in the divisional round. Yet, I always felt we let a lot of things get away in 1999. We went 0-3 that year in those “opportunity” games. Win one of them and we get bye in the playoffs and aren’t on the road in Tampa. 

—October 30th, 2000: Loss vs Titans 27-21: Titans came in 6-1; we were 6-2... huge MNF game billed as a possible Super Bowl preview. I was so jacked for this game. A win and we would have likely been considered the best team in the entire league. We got off to a bad start, but clawed back in it... until the memorable Samari Rolle play... he took an INT to the house on the last play of the first half. Brad Johnson sucked in 2000. To this day I say we go 11-5 at worst that year if Jeff George starts day one. 

—November 26th, 2000: Loss vs Eagles 23-20: Of all the games listed, this one is the most “lost” on me and the one I remember the least in terms of detail. But in hindsight it may have been the biggest game of that season. I think maybe the Titans loss dwarfs this game for me a bit, but we went into this one at 7-3... a win would have put out odds of making the playoffs very high— especially co cnsidering it would have clinched a tie breaker with the Eagles. I did remember thinking this day that maybe the Eagles were going to be pretty good. The very next week we lost the infamous game to the Giants and Norv was fired. But if we beat the Eagles that would have never happened. 

—December 2nd, 2001: Loss vs Cowboys 20-14: This one is a bit unique because it’s the only game on the list against a clearly lesser opponent. The Cowboys were bad in 2001... there were 2-8 coming into this game. Under Marty, we’d gone from 0-5 to 5-5. Team had found their groove. But the reality was that it was still JUST 5-5. We needed one more to really vault us into serious playoff contender status. I was so confident going into this game. Not only were we on fire,  but we were avenging an early season loss to Dallas. This game was on a tee. The game was a nightmare. Our offense was abysmal. Quincy Carter threw a back-breaking long TD and at the end of the day we were just your middling 5-6 team. We’d go on to lose other home games to the Eagles and Bears. I think it’s possible if we beat Dallas that we maintain that momentum and wind up in the playoffs. I’m one of the few people who was NOT upset when Marty left but his history with the Redskins may have turned out differently had he won this game.

—November 30th, 2008: Loss vs Giants 23-7: It’s easy to sort of blow this one off in hindsight knowing now that Zorn was clearly never going to take us anywhere. But at the moment this game was played, it felt like a REALLY big game. We were 7-4 and the Giants were 10-1. That generally makes for a marquee match up. Our hopes of catching them for the division were super slim at that point even with a win, but we came into this game looking like a highly legitimate or even probable wild card team. A win over the defending champs sitting at 10-1 would have completely legitimized us. Instead, we got beat down. ST was put into the Ring of Honor, but nothing could save us that day. Even though we still had chances after that, I definitely had a feeling that we’d lose a real chance to separate ourselves that day. 

—November 24th, 2016: Loss at Cowboys 31-26: With the exception of the 2012 finale this game was probably the most legitimately hyped Redskins-Cowboys game since at least 1999 (second game in 2005 also comes to mind). Similar to the 2008 loss to the Giants, we were unlikely to catch Dallas, but beating them would have had a major impact not just on or playoff hopes but also the perception surrounding the team. After an 0-2 start had we gone in and beaten the 1-Loss Cowboys to improve to 7-3-1 it would have announced us as a serious threat in the NFC. As it turned out, this loss halted our previous momentum and started a plodding finish to the season. 

So there you have it

—14 games 

—1-12-1 record 

—0-5 vs Dallas

—0-4 at Dallas

—0-2 on Thanksgiving 

—Only 2 of these games over the past 16 years 

This game Thursday is going to be the 15th “opportunity game” we’ve had since 1993 and only the third since 2001. This game completely fits the definition— season is not over if we lose and it’s entirely possible we get another 1-2 this year depending on how things go ala 1996-1999. If we win, we are in the drivers seat for the East and our playoff odds skyrocket. 

I’ll say this, I have more faith with this team/regime/staff than I did back in the late 90’s and certainly more than I had in the Zorn year. I think we are physically and mentally tougher. I’ll be a bit surprised if we lay an egg. That said, I won’t be surprised of course if we lose. I mean 1-12-1 is going to leave you a little rattled. The good news is that while I’VE been “involved” in all those games, none of these players or coaches have with the exception of Thanksgiving two years ago. 

I’m excited and anxious for kickoff. HTTR! 

December 18, 2005 - Win vs Dallas - 35-7.  The 'Chris Cooley Game.'  We were 7-6 and Dallas was 8-5.  NYG had won the night before to go to 10-4 so any chance at the division hinged on this game.... Had we lost we would have still been in contention for the wild card but would have needed Dallas to lose both of their remaining games.  That was game 3 of "5 in a row or we don't go."  We beat Dallas causing us to be tied at 8-6 and firmly in a race to a wild card since we had swept them that season.  Chris Cooley had 3 TDs before halftime.   Going into that game, we knew it was gonna be a dogfight.   Touted highly because it was 'Gibbs vs Parcells'  I distinctly remember the spotlight of their previous matchups and going back in history detailing how they had such an illustrious matchup while Parcells was with the Giants.  That game sparked one of the most memorable pictures in Redskins history..... 

This was also a rematch from the 'Miracle at Midnight' that had happened in week 2 of the same season.  

1 hour ago, kleese said:

So there you have it

—14 games 

—1-12-1 record 

—0-5 vs Dallas

—0-4 at Dallas

—0-2 on Thanksgiving 

—Only 2 of these games over the past 16 years 

I’m excited and anxious for kickoff. HTTR! 

My Lord, that is the written equivalent of a two-decade kick in the nuts.... Thanks (I guess...) for compiling this list of suckitude, and here's to hoping we can reverse the trend tomorrow evening!!

9 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

—November 24th, 2012: Loss at Cowboys 31-26:   ???

Redskins beat Dallas BOTH games in 2012....those two wins were part of the magic 7 game run to the NFC East title....you must be thinking of another year.

yeah I think he meant to put 2016

This is one of those weird "Destiny" results because it's not like they play on Thanksgiving every season, it is usually 3-5 seasons between happening so that means there is likely significant turnover on the roster.

Honestly, I think Dallas always hosting on Thanksgiving is an advantage. The fact that they automatically get the comfort of knowing they don't have to travel on the short week.  It gives them an edge in preparing, resting, readiness etc etc.....the advantage might not matter if they had to play a team the caliber of the Saints, Rams, Chiefs, etc etc....but Washington is pretty evenly matched so there is no way you can't say the game being in Dallas on a short week doesn't give them an edge.

Great thread, as always...I have one from a season that flies under the radar.

We entered week 12 of the 2010 season 5-5 and hosting a bad Minnesota team. Shanahan's first season had been up and down to this point (obviously) but I still felt like we were an outside threat to win a few games in a row and possibly sneak into the playoffs. The results of this week within the division would have also put us only one game behind Philly and New York if we could have figured out a way to beat a bad team.

We jumped out to a 7-0 lead but then allowed the Vikings to tie it up before AP got hurt and ultimately take a 14-7 lead. Somehow we couldn't stop a broken down Favre or Toby Gerhert. We eventually fell behind 17-7 before pulling somewhat close at 17-13 early in the 4th. From there though, we couldn't get over the hump and we really lost an opportunity to get over .500 and put some pressure on the Eagles and Giants. 

It PROBABLY wouldn't have mattered, because the Giants destroyed us the next week. But, we ended up losing a couple pretty tight games after that (a low-scoring loss at home against TB where we got an extra down to tie it up but missed the PAT and a Rex Grossman shootout in Dallas). You never know...if we win this game maybe things go a little differently. The division was won at 10-6 so we could have made things interesting, if nothing else. 

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

December 18, 2005 - Win vs Dallas - 35-7.  The 'Chris Cooley Game.'  We were 7-6 and Dallas was 8-5.  NYG had won the night before to go to 10-4 so any chance at the division hinged on this game.... Had we lost we would have still been in contention for the wild card but would have needed Dallas to lose both of their remaining games.  That was game 3 of "5 in a row or we don't go."  We beat Dallas causing us to be tied at 8-6 and firmly in a race to a wild card since we had swept them that season.  Chris Cooley had 3 TDs before halftime.   Going into that game, we knew it was gonna be a dogfight.   Touted highly because it was 'Gibbs vs Parcells'  I distinctly remember the spotlight of their previous matchups and going back in history detailing how they had such an illustrious matchup while Parcells was with the Giants.  That game sparked one of the most memorable pictures in Redskins history..... 

This was also a rematch from the 'Miracle at Midnight' that had happened in week 2 of the same season.  

I loved it so much I made it my sig file. :)

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We entered week 12 of the 2010 season 5-5 and hosting a bad Minnesota team. Shanahan's first season had been up and down to this point (obviously) but I still felt like we were an outside threat to win a few games in a row and possibly sneak into the playoffs.

We jumped out to a 7-0 lead but then allowed the Vikings to tie it up before AP got hurt and ultimately take a 14-7 lead. Somehow we couldn't stop a broken down Favre or Toby Gerhert. We eventually fell behind 17-7 before pulling somewhat close at 17-13 early in the 4th. From there though, we couldn't get over the hump and we really lost an opportunity to get over .500 and put some pressure on the Eagles and Giants. 

Banks took a punt back to the house in the middle of the 4th, which was called back on a ticky-tack block in the back and 41 year old Brett Favre juked his way to a 10 yard run on 3rd and long to ice it.

Man... 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I didn't include this one, although it was on the edge.... I didn't include it because had we lost we really weren't in control of our destiny anymore. It was closer to a must-win or a desperation game in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

—November 24th, 2012: Loss at Cowboys 31-26:   ???

Redskins beat Dallas BOTH games in 2012....those two wins were part of the magic 7 game run to the NFC East title....you must be thinking of another year.

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif

Just a typo... should have been 2016... fixed it. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We entered week 12 of the 2010 season 5-5 and hosting a bad Minnesota team. Shanahan's first season had been up and down to this point (obviously) but I still felt like we were an outside threat to win a few games in a row and possibly sneak into the playoffs. The results of this week within the division would have also put us only one game behind Philly and New York if we could have figured out a way to beat a bad team.

It PROBABLY wouldn't have mattered, because the Giants destroyed us the next week. But, we ended up losing a couple pretty tight games after that (a low-scoring loss at home against TB where we got an extra down to tie it up but missed the PAT and a Rex Grossman shootout in Dallas). You never know...if we win this game maybe things go a little differently. The division was won at 10-6 so we could have made things interesting, if nothing else. 

I considered this game too and I think it's close. I omitted it simply because at 5-5 going in I didn't feel it quite fit the criteria of the others. 

4 minutes ago, kleese said:

I didn't include this one, although it was on the edge.... I didn't include it because had we lost we really weren't in control of our destiny anymore. It was closer to a must-win or a desperation game in my eyes. 

Well that's slim pickins since we've rarely been in control of our own destiny during the limited season's we've had that ended up in the playoffs unfortunately.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Well that's slim pickins since we've rarely been in control of our own destiny during the limited season's we've had that ended up in the playoffs unfortunately.  

No doubt, that's the really striking thing when looking back. 1996, 1997, and 1999 were much closer to this year than almost anything we've seen from 2000-on. 2008 and 2016 are really the only years since 2000 that we were in REALLY good shape entering Thanksgiving time to control our destiny for the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

The one I'd add, based on your criteria, is the 08 Zorn game against Pittsburgh. I think we were 6-2 at the time, and we thought we were actually good. Pittsburgh was good too, and we were al in to see if we could play with the big boys. I remember a dropped pick 6 and then an implosion...

You are right. I should have included that one— meets the criteria quite well. So, 1-13-1 :)

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We won one of those games.

So, I'm tellin you there's a chance.

I think that points more to the fact that we've been a less than dominant team over the last 20 years, so we regularly find ourselves either with a better record than our team is, or putting together miraculous type runs in order to achieve relevance.  Since we've been under the ownership of Snyder, we rarely appear to be a team that understands how to handle prosperity, even if it's against teams we're not only supposed to beat, but teams that literally have nothing to play for... 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I think that points more to the fact that we've been a less than dominant team over the last 20 years, so we regularly find ourselves either with a better record than our team is, or putting together miraculous type runs in order to achieve relevance.  Since we've been under the ownership of Snyder, we rarely appear to be a team that understands how to handle prosperity, even if it's against teams we're not only supposed to beat, but teams that literally have nothing to play for... 

Seems like Snyder is always pointed to, as the "common denominator", but could someone explain the "Snyder Effect" coming into play on certain very specific games.

How is Snyder directly connected to outcomes of certain games, when it's the players and coaches and referees and vegas bettors who determine the outcome on the field, and not the owner.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like Snyder is always pointed to, as the "common denominator", but could someone explain the "Snyder Effect" coming into play on certain very specific games.

How is Snyder directly connected to outcomes of certain games, when it's the players and coaches and referees and vegas bettors who determine the outcome on the field, and not the owner.

I was just pointing to the point of the Snyder era because that was part of the parameters of the list, and it's when the trend appeared to start.  I don't necessarily look at Snyder and say it's his fault, but I also think a lot of what he does and stands for has a trickle down effect on the whole franchise.  I'll say that for the last handful of years, it would appear he's doing things more in line with what we all would hope he would do..  He appears to have stepped back and let football people make football decisions.  He's brought in some good execs and some positive people to the organization, and I'm very happy with that. 

That said, I think the way he has run the team for his tenure absolutely can have an effect on the play of the team.  Bowling with RG3, being Clinton Portis' biggest fan, playing favorites with players can have it's effect on a locker room.  It can have it's lingering effect on coaches as well.  I can't quantify some specific play or dropped pass and say "that was because of Snyder" but to believe that the eco-system of a locker room doesn't feel the impact when that type of stuff happens would be something I disagree with.  Any time an employee has the eye of the top dog, to the point where management has their control taken away, or at least limited, it's toxic.  We may be looking at another instance of that right now where we keep hearing that Gruden wanted Colt this whole time.  I want to believe Gruden is professional enough, but he's had 4 QBs play for him here, and he's been publicly critical of 3 of them.   Does that mean he doesn't want them to succeed?  No not at all.. but any time your force, or a decision is made for you, there's going to be a level of resent and it can have lingering effects.  Yes he's an NFL coach, but he's a human first.  

A lot of the games pointed out in that timeline fall during the years that Snyder was public enemy no. 1.  Players talk, and they're friends with people all around the league.  It's completely possible that we missed out on Free Agents or coaches because of Snyder.  We may have lost our ability to re-sign players because of Snyder.  We may have been forced to pay certain players more than necessary, preventing us from possibly getting other Free Agents that may have contributed to more wins.  I don't think Snyder has lost any specific games for us, but as deep and long as this thing has gone one... I 100% think a better run franchise, a different owner, a more positive locker room and atmosphere absolutely COULD have resulted in more wins.... This team has had a weak heart for a long time, seemingly unable to truly walk tall when the time was right.  I'm 33, and since 1991, we've lost the mentality that we're excited about being the favorite, and we look forward to the big matchup vs the top teams around.  Now we're always saying "great, let them keep sleeping on us" or "Oh No... everyone on ESPN picked us to win, now we're definitely going to lose."

Connected or not, the common denominator across that shift in mentality is that it's happened under Snyder.   Now I will freely say that I think he's the easy target because we have nothing else to compare to... and I think at times he gets TOO much blame.  Players have to catch the ball.  Blockers have to block.... coaches have to coach.   If 11 guys on the field execute their responsibilities, generally you'll win more than you lose, and we haven't done that.  

Growing up in the 90's/00's it was torture to see the 'Skins **** the bed every time on Thanksgiving.

There was the one season the 'Skins had the game iced, but then Stephen Davis fumbled it and I believe Dallas converted it into game winning points.

There was the year our special teams blocked a punt, then Dallas turned around and blocked on of our punts and in the process breaking the punter's nose.

Memories....mostly bad.

When Robert Griffin tore it up in 2012 in Dallas there was joy and disbelief at the same time.  It was a feeling rarely experienced.

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

There was the year our special teams blocked a punt, then Dallas turned around and blocked on of our punts and in the process breaking the punter's nose.

Oh my god I remember that... it was NASTY too.  If i'm not mistaken he was in on the tackle and the knee of the ball carrier fit just through the facemask allowing it to hit flush.  

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I was there for this one, back when the gentleman I got my tix from had sweet seats in 124.  It was probably the best experience I’ve ever had at FedEx.  I had both Portis and Cooley in fantasy, in a league where passing touchdowns count double for non QBs, and Portis through Cooley one.  Whooping Dallas ass like that in conjunction with advancing in the fantasy playoffs on the backs of Redskins ranks way up there on my best memories as a fan.  However, I’ll say the Xmas Eve matchup beating the Giants the next week was pretty damn awesome too.

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Great thread, as always...I have one from a season that flies under the radar......We entered week 12 of the 2010 season 5-5 and hosting a bad Minnesota team. .....We jumped out to a 7-0 lead but then allowed the Vikings to tie it up before AP got hurt and ultimately take a 14-7 lead. Somehow we couldn't stop a broken down Favre or Toby Gerhert. We eventually fell behind 17-7 before pulling somewhat close at 17-13 early in the 4th. From there though, we couldn't get over the hump and we really lost an opportunity to get over .500 and put some pressure on the Eagles and Giants. 

So this took me down the "Shanny in DC" abyss.......

Yes, I went back on looked on profootballreference at this game. This was two weeks after the 59-28 Mike Vick beatdown, but then we go down to Tennessee and win at OT game. I remember after the game Bang (I love you man) was saying that the gutty win might be the most vital in recent Skins history.  And then, like you said, we went to crap.

You mentioned Favre and for whatever reason I pictured him making that scramble in a Jets uni. So I went back and in 2011 we played the Jets here at FedEx, and lost 34-19. But by then Sanchez was the Jets QB. We played the Pats the next week here and I remember being at that game, but honestly remember nothing about that Jets game.

But then there was 2013. Coming off the great finish (of the regular season, anyway) of 2012, "All In For Week 1," and we lay a big egg, going RG 0-3 as we get demolished by Philly and GB and lose a close one at home to the Lions. But then we right the ship a bit over the next few weeks and coming off a thrilling OT home win against the Chargers. We were 3-5, and after 8 games, Dallas was 4-4, Philly was 3-5, and the Giants were 2-6. Division was still very much up for grabs. We go to Minnesota for a Thursday night game. I'm out in Vegas watching it at Lagasse's Stadium at the Palazzo, and the Skins are rolling, leading 27-14 early, but somehow the dam breaks, the O-line stops blocking, and the Vikes come back and win the game 34-27. I went to the next game at Philly and the Skins fell behind 24-0 and looked lifeless before making a comeback and falling short.  I knew Shanny had to go at that point. That Chargers game would be the last he would win. 

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

There was the one season the 'Skins had the game iced, but then Stephen Davis fumbled it and I believe Dallas converted it into game winning points.

The first one was '01 and was not Thanksgiving, but I think dropped us to 0-5. Dallas was also 0-4 heading into that game.

The next year was '02 and was a Danny Wuerffel Thanksgiving!

Archived