Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

39 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Dolphins can have Tebow 2.0.  No thank you.

You have to be kidding. Have you watched Tua play? The only thing he has in common with Tebow is being left handed and having mobility. Their games are nothing alike upon even the most rudimentary analysis.

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You have to be kidding. Have you watched Tua play? The only thing he has in common with Tebow is being left handed and having mobility. Their games are nothing alike upon even the most rudimentary analysis.

Tebow's sophomore year: 234/350, 66.9%, 3,286 yards, 32 TD, 6 INT, 9.4 Y/A, 895 rushing yards, 23 rushing TD

Tua's: 245/355, 69%, 3,966 yards, 43 TD, 6 INT, 11.2 Y/A, 190 rushing yards, 5 rushing TD

You're right.  Tebow was better.

12 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Tebow's sophomore year: 234/350, 66.9%, 3,286 yards, 32 TD, 6 INT, 9.4 Y/A, 895 rushing yards, 23 rushing TD

Tua's: 245/355, 69%, 3,966 yards, 43 TD, 6 INT, 11.2 Y/A, 190 rushing yards, 5 rushing TD

better completion % and 700 more yards... higher Y/A avg, more TDs, same INTs.  Tua also didnt play a 4th quarter of a game til I BELIEVE they beat Georgia 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/4241479/tua-tagovailoa

Look at his splits... he attemped 8 passes in the 4th quarter in the regular season.  8.  HE DIDNT PLAY 10 QUARTERS of the season. 

And I'm not even a Tua lover... i'd prefer Fromm, but the dude is nowhere NEAR Tebow 2.0

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

better completion % and 700 more yards... higher Y/A avg, more TDs, same INTs. 

Factor in the rushing yards and they are roughly the same.  Tebow has more total touchdowns.  Tua is a better thrower than Tebow, but Tebow was a better run threat.  

16 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Factor in the rushing yards and they are roughly the same.  Tebow has more total touchdowns.  Tua is a better thrower than Tebow, but Tebow was a better run threat.  

That's the point... Tua has much better tools to translate to the NFL game... would you PREFER a better runner?  I wouldnt

and they dont even out because again... Tua missed roughly 10% of the season because they were winning by so much.  Add that 10% in and his stat line looks absurd

269 / 390, 4300 yds, 48 td, 7 int, 225 rush, 6 rush td. 

4500 total yards, 54 total tds.  

Tebow - 4181 yds and 55 total tds. 

Again... The passing talent is the emphasis of why he's better suited for the pro-game... he didnt NEED to run.  Tebow COULDN'T win games with his arm so he HAD to run that much.  Even if the 'total' stats were identical, it doesn't tell some story that they're the same person regarding the QB position.  Tua is a MUCH MUCH better passer. 

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'm not denying that Tebow put up good numbers in college. But I talked about watching them both play and comparing, not just comparing stats. They are nothing alike in how they play the game and as passers. As @OVCChairmansaid, Tua actually has the passing tools that translate into the NFL, whereas it was apparent to pretty much everyone who watched Tebow (except the Broncos I guess) that he didn't really have an NFL level passing game.

Tua has good footwork and mechanics, a quick release, and plays in a, generally speaking, "pro-style" offense with multiple reads/progressions. Tebow had relatively sloppy footwork and mechanics, a looooong release, and played in Urban Meyer's super high tempo college spread option offense with mostly half field reads and lots of R/O runs. Yes they both are great athletes and can run the ball but they do it in very different ways. Tua can beat you with his legs but he tends to mostly do it when necessary as opposed to it being a (if not THE) central part of his game, unlike Tebow.

And I'm also not a Tua fanboy or anything; I still have some questions about his game and want to see how he progresses this coming season. But IMO comparing his game to Tebow's is apples to oranges.

Matt Bowen who isn't afraid to slam QBs in his assessments

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25675554/nfl-draft-buzz-trevor-lawrence-tua-tagovailoa-why-qbs-legit

Best pro comp: Kurt Warner. Tagovailoa has more mobility than Warner, which shows in the QB-designed runs in the Alabama playbook. But I'm looking at this comp from the perspective of Warner's ability to dice up NFL defenses during his career with anticipation and accuracy from the pocket.

Like Warner -- with whom I played as a rookie in St. Louis -- Tagovailoa doesn't have the elite arm talent of an Aaron Rodgers, but he wins because of his ability to attack all three levels of the defense with his eyes and the supremely accurate ball placement to finish throws. Surgical stuff.

I read that we are working on bringing back Josh Johnson.  Dare I predict he will lead our team in starts next year.

Tank on!!  Only, we aren't smart enough to be doing it deliberately. McCoy won't last a month. He can only hang his hat on beating Dallas 3 seasons ago for so long.

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I read that we are working on bringing back Josh Johnson.  Dare I predict he will lead our team in starts next year.

Tank on!!  Only, we aren't smart enough to be doing it deliberately. McCoy won't last a month. He can only hang his hat on beating Dallas 3 seasons ago for so long.

Agreed.  We can do better than Johnson and the only reason he's being signed is because Gruden is familiar with him and Zampese, if hired has had interaction with him in Cincy, I believe.  Plus, Johnson will be cheap (vet minimum).  We will drafting a QB in the 1st (more than likely) or 2nd round.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Johnson is fine as a 3rd string, if you keep 3, or an in-season emergency last resort, as we saw last year.

However, I don't think he's quite good enough to even be a #2.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Johnson is fine as a 3rd string, if you keep 3, or an in-season emergency last resort, as we saw last year.

However, I don't think he's quite good enough to even be a #2.

I get the feeling by Allen talking that they might be thinking he's the starter until their 1st or 2nd round QB is ready.   Hope I'm wrong.  No mention of McCoy but not a fan of his either.  He can't make it through a 3 game stretch w/o getting hurt and he has a noodle arm.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I get the feeling by Allen talking that they might be thinking he's the starter until their 1st or 2nd round QB is ready.   Hope I'm wrong.  No mention of McCoy but not a fan of his either.  He can't make it through a 3 game stretch w/o getting hurt and he has a noodle arm.

I believe, or at least hope, that we just go after the cheapest veteran FA.

Not as our primary QB obviously, but in addition to a draft pick, like you said.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe, or at least hope, that we just go after the cheapest veteran FA.

Not as our primary QB obviously, but in addition to a draft pick, like you said.

Sure sounds like Josh Johnson is the starter and the draft pick is in waiting to me.  Johnson can be had for the vet minimum.  He will be a cheap signing.  

56 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So Rotoworld shows that McCoy is under contract for 2019.  So he is the starter and their trying to sign Johnson as the 2nd string.  We need OL help in the worst way and WRs.

Looks like McCoy is due 3.5mil, none of it guaranteed though. Logic suggests McCoy, Johnson, plus a rookie. But since when does logic work here...

Sign Johnson on vet minimum type deal over 2 years. He'll be the #2 fighting with the rookie.

Cash in Smith's insurance and cut McCoy, that's 16mil in. Then give that to Andy Dalton :bye:

43 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We won't draft a QB in the first round this year...maybe with the 3rd over all pick next year..but not this year. They will bring in a vet and let the vet Colt and JJ fight it out in t camp.

I hope you are right (with the exception if Kyler Murray plays football and falls to 15)  but I suspect they will draft a QB in the first two rounds. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope you are right (with the exception if Kyler Murray plays football and falls to 15)  but I suspect they will draft a QB in the first two rounds. 

I want to say that I don't like the split between baseball and football thing because it could turn out to be distracting on the football side of thing but it's worked out great for Russell Wilson and a couple other QBs.. I'm sure this has been beatin to death sorry but let's look at what teams need a QB in this draft only thing I can think of is the jags and the Giants... I know I know... Write this down, the gruden Brothers work out a trade where we ship our 15th overall pick to the raiders in some kind of swap a Doo to get Derek Carr.. what are the raiders later round draft picks?..some kind of scenario where we trade pics they get the 15th pick and we get there later first round pick and we get carr out of it..

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I want to say that I don't like the split between baseball and football thing because it could turn out to be distracting on the football side of thing but it's worked out great for Russell Wilson and a couple other QBs.. I'm sure this has been beatin to death sorry but let's look at what teams need a QB in this draft only thing I can think of is the jags and the Giants... I know I know... Write this down, the gruden Brothers work out a trade where we ship our 15th overall pick to the raiders in some kind of swap a Doo to get Derek Carr.. what are the raiders later round draft picks?..some kind of scenario where we trade pics they get the 15th pick and we get there later first round pick and we get carr out of it..

According to beat reporters covering their teams

Jags - desperate for a QB

Giants -- probably shoot for a QB

Denver -- likely shoot for a QB

Dolphins -- desperate for a QB.  Tannehill isn't coming back

Bengals -- maybe looking for a QB if they release Dalton

Raiders -- maybe looking for a QB if they trade Carr

Only wild card is what happens with FA and trades.    0 chance we trade for Carr.  We'd have about 50 million in cap room dedicated for QB if we did that.  Guys who cover this team say almost zero chance we sign any QB of note because of the cap situation.   They already have 25 million dedicated to QB and after signing Johnson I'd guess about 28 million dedicated to QB.  Can't see how they spend more than 5 million on a QB after that and after spending 5 million I believe they'd still have the most cap money dedicated to QB in the league.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to beat reporters covering their teams

Jags - desperate for a QB

Giants -- probably shoot for a QB

Denver -- likely shoot for a QB

Dolphins -- desperate for a QB.  Tannehill isn't coming back

Bengals -- maybe looking for a QB if they release Dalton

Raiders -- maybe looking for a QB if they trade Carr

Only wild card is what happens with FA and trades.    0 chance we trade for Carr.  We'd have about 50 million in cap room dedicated for QB if we did that.  Guys who cover this team say almost zero chance we sign any QB of note because of the cap situation.   They already have 25 million dedicated to QB and after signing Johnson I'd guess about 28 million dedicated to QB.  Can't see how they spend more than 5 million on a QB after that and after spending 5 million I believe they'd still gave the most cap money dedicated to QB in the league.

Yep that's right all the money from the Smith contract  duh insert foot lol ..and I appreciate you providing that list of quarterback needy teams.. unless we get into some kind of swap-a-roo trade I don't see us taking a quarterback in the first round then.... I don't think I watched the loss to the Giants.. that's right I didn't, maybe parts of it...can't remember.. probably for the best lol... And I didn't watch the eagles loss.. but what I seen in the jaguars and the Titans game I was pretty impressed with Johnson I would almost say I'd rather see him get the starting job then McCoy even though McCoy has more experience here...but if..I mean Peterson returns..Guice...do we use the 15 pick on the best wide receiver available if they're there?... I know I'm probably all over the place here sorry.. pretty good coffee this morning haha but I know one thing I will **** down both legs if we do some stupid stuff trying to get some big name players in free agency to try to win which I always bang the drum on never wanting to see the Skins lose but I love that article that was posted about what the dolphins are doing and I back it and wish the Skins would take that route..idk 

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No chance we trade for Derek Carr, although I could see us trying to trade back into the late first round for a QB and the Raiders are a good potential partner for that trade.

If we're going for a trade with the Raiders what about McCarren?

Archived