Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

5 hours ago, dballer said:

ILB to look for 2nd round - Germaine Pratt NCSU - Came in as a safety and physically outgrew the position. Over 100 combined tackles his second season as a linebacker in 11 games. Freakish athlete. Good cover skills. Fast. Everything we don't currently have at that position. 

Agree, I mentioned him a week or so ago.  I was just going through different mocks and boards from various draft geeks, he seems off the radar by most though I just noticed Brugler has him ranked as his 6th best MLB.

on another note:  if Murray enters the draft and ditto Herbert where some are now saying he might, QB might get more interesting as to the permutations

I am going to the Alabama-Oklahoma game so I guess I'll add Ford to my list of players to pay attention to.  Here's an analysis from a draft site.

https://www.nfldraftgeek.com/cody-ford-nfl-draft-profile/

Cody Ford NFL Draft Profile

Height: 6’4  Weight: 338  School: Oklahoma

Positives

• Massive dude, 6’4 340 lbs. Will have 50 lbs on most NFL defensive ends.
  • Very quick for a man of his size. Not the lumbering athlete you would expect at that weight whatsoever.
  • Very powerful. Can dominate his man one vs one and drive them back as a run blocker.
  • Extends arms well to keep DE out of his chest, making it hard for them to get off blocks.
  • Light bouncy feet. Can mirror his man fairly well for a right tackle in pass protection.
  • Seems aware of blitz and stunts and will pick up the right man.
  • Strong base in pass protection. Definitely not a guy who can be run over.
  • Uses hands fairly well. Clamps on to the defender and doesn’t let him off the block.
  • Gets to the second level well and find a linebacker to block in space.
  • Looks for work. Has that nasty presence and finds somebody to hit.
  • Has versatility. Played both guard and tackle in college.

Concerns

• Lacks a little in length. Taller defenders can use long arms to prevent him from getting a hand on them.
  • Plays high. Will lose leverage fairly regularly.
  • Not an elite pass blocker. Will struggle with speed rushers in the NFL.

Summary

Ford is a monster. So powerful, he will just move defensive ends out of the way in the running game. Locks on and drives his feet. Quick and fairly fluid. Can work on pulls and getting up to the second level pretty well. Has player tackle and guard and I think he can be great at both in the NFL. Good in pass protection. Not going to run through him and it isn’t easy to run around him. Even when he loses leverage, he’s just too strong for most defensive linemen to handle. Light quick feet. Don’t think he’ll be a left tackle because he isn’t an elite pass blocker, but a great right tackle.

Potential Red Flags

Has a little bit of an injury history. Missed most of the 2016 season with a broken tibia. Missed a pair of games in the 2017 season with an undisclosed injury.

Projection

Ford will be a pro bowl right tackle. He can be one of the best run blockers in the NFL and a very capable pass blocker as well. Don’t be shocked to see him drafted in the first round, but because he isn’t a left tackle he might slide to the early second round. Plug and play impact player.

Player Comparison: Cordy Glenn

On Kyler Murray when I watch him, there are 5 things that stand out. 3 positives and 2 negatives. 

Positives:

1. His release is, or at least appears shockingly fast, that ball is out very quick. A slow release is gives the defense that much more time to adjust and know where the ball is going. 

2. Ball placement is very good and the ball trajectory is like a laser and not in the air very long. He knows when to put touch on passes as well. Just an impressive arm overall. 

3. Knows when pressure is coming and is good at knowing when to move in the pocket. His eyes stay down the field as well he opts to pass more often than run for the 1st. 

Negatives:

1. Hes small and would be the shortest QB in the nfl. Needs to protect himself to prevent injuries but also needs add a bit of QB mass on him to help cushion blows from DEs.

2. His offense is kind of tailored to QBs and I'm not sure how good he is at reading a defense. This has to be immediately worked on with our QB coach. 

If we draft him, he needs to sit a year. I dont care who is at QB, I dont think QBs should be thrown to the wolves. I'm hoping McCoy is ready to go next year and can help coach up his eventual replacement. 

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

On Kyler Murray when I watch him, there are 5 things that stand out. 3 positives and 2 negatives. 

Negatives:

1. Hes small and would be the shortest QB in the nfl. Needs to protect himself to prevent injuries but also needs add a bit of QB mass on him to help cushion blows from DEs.

2. His offense is kind of tailored to QBs and I'm not sure how good he is at reading a defense. This has to be immediately worked on with our QB coach. 

If we draft him, he needs to sit a year. I dont care who is at QB, I dont think QBs should be thrown to the wolves. I'm hoping McCoy is ready to go next year and can help coach up his eventual replacement. 

Appreciate your objectivity re his negatives - what round would you be prepared to use/risk/waste just to find out whether he can read a defense? Not to mention his height in an nfl pocket

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The way our OL performs kyler would be on IR with death by week 3

Agree but it could be fixed.  I am not sure about Kyler, yet.  I've watched him a ton.  The dude would make RG3 look like a slow-bad runner in comparison but wonder about the 5 9" height.  And I think you have to run a spread type of system with him -- that doesn't seem to be Jay's thing and if Jay's gone we don't know yet who replaces him. 

If we have a new GM, they should be able to fix what Bruce oddly couldn't.  Sign a veteran OG for depth as opposed to look for guys on the street once problems arise and draft or sign a LG for once who is above average.  They made their bed this year.  We talked about it all off season in the draft and Fa thread, and they didn't do anything to fix it.  The irony is the O line is pretty good but as some like to say you are only as good as your weakest link.  So if LG is terrible and then you lose another O lineman and have no depth than things can spiral downhill fast.   

In this draft if you go QB in the first, you got potential options like Lindstorm in the 2nd, especially if we end up picking top 10.  With this O line in particular, I like that Lindstrom doesn't get penalized much.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sign a veteran OG for depth as opposed to look for guys on the street once problems arise and draft or sign a LG for once who is above average.  They made their bed this year.  We talked about it all off season in the draft and Fa thread, and they didn't do anything to fix it.  The irony is the O line is pretty good but as some like to say you are only as good as your weakest link.  So if LG is terrible and then you lose another O lineman and have no depth than things can spiral downhill fast.   

Man - we are way more messed up on the o-line that a LG away. Trent is done, Moses is breaking down, let's see how scherff comes back, Jerod Christian is meh and injured after being steamrolled on his only start

If i eat and drink enough this Christmas, I'd probably get signed in time for our playoff run

16 minutes ago, TheYappingDog said:

Man - we are way more messed up on the o-line that a LG away. Trent is done, Moses is breaking down, let's see how scherff comes back, Jerod Christian is meh and injured after being steamrolled on his only start

If i eat and drink enough this Christmas, I'd probably get signed in time for our playoff run

I don't see Trent as done.  Scherff is coming back, first major injury, he's a young dude.  Moses is 27.   There was talk earlier in the season, that we have one of the best O lines in the league.  I get these injuries stink but I think its taking a step too far that the whole unit is now a concern.   

14 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I bet Danny Boy is itching for Murray lol.

I'd bet the same.  I am guessing part of the off season goal is to get fans in the seats -- easiest way to trigger some excitement is a new shiny QB.    Among the ones that might come out, Murray would be the sexiest one.  Rypien would be intriguing too because of the name.

If its Herbert (if he comes out), Lock or Haskins or D. Jones or whomever it might be a tougher sell.  Among that group, I'd guess Haskins and Herbert would be the sexiest names.

1 hour ago, TheYappingDog said:

Appreciate your objectivity re his negatives - what round would you be prepared to use/risk/waste just to find out whether he can read a defense? Not to mention his height in an nfl pocket

Pick 12-18 is where I'd want to grab him. Probably too high for a lot of people I'm going to assume.

Not saying I am convinced but delving into the height issue anyway.  Here they say he's 5 9.  On his bio it says 5 10.   Lot of buzz today that he will enter the draft.  I think for us the more the merrier, I hope Herbert jumps in, too.

https://newsok.com/article/5606862/kyler-murray-era-begins-with-ou-doubling-down-on-short-quarterbacks

NORMAN — The football whizzed past Cody Ford's ear in a recent practice, and he thought “whoa.”

Kyler Murray had fired a pass that didn't miss Ford's head by much, and the 6-foot-4 Ford was reminded that his technique is more important than ever. OU's offensive linemen are taught to stay low, anyway, but now that their quarterback is mayor of the munchkin city, forming a skyline is around the passing pocket is not advised.

The 5-foot-9 Murray begins Saturday the arduous task of succeeding Baker Mayfield, as the Sooners play Florida Atlantic on Owen Field. Mayfield was a folk hero and a Sooner legend and among the most decorated college football players of all time. He also was considered short. But Mayfield stands three inches taller than does Murray.

Murray is not going to see over his massive offensive line. He's going to have to see throughthose blockers.

“Honestly, I think it's a feel thing,” Murray said. “Either you have it or you don't. There's not many short guys, I guess a lot of short guys don't have it, but nobody's really throwing over linemen anyways. Like Joe Flacco, Tom Brady, those guys, you still gotta throw through lanes and you'll find your spots. Every quarterback has to do it the way they do it. For me, Bake, you just gotta get better, you gotta work at it and figure it out.”

We start finding out Saturday how much Murray has figured it out. Doug Flutie won a Heisman Trophy as a 5-9 quarterback. But that was 34 years ago, and the stigma of short quarterbacks remains.

An occasional shortish quarterback emerges as a star. The Saints' Drew Brees is 6-foot. The Seahawks' Russell Wilson is 5-11. In the olden days, Len Dawson and Sonny Jurgensen each was 5-11.

But coaches like their quarterbacks tall. Mayfield last April became just the fifth quarterback shorter than 6-2 to be taken in the first round of the last 31 NFL Drafts. Rex Grossman and Cade McNown were 6-1; Johnny Manziel, Michael Vick and Mayfield were 6-0. That's out of 74 quarterbacks selected in Round 1.

57 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Doug probably shrank an inch since his NFL measurements. What's an inch anyways, if Wilson is a potential hall of Famer at 5-10, is there some astronomical cut off between 5-9 and 5-10?

Wilson has hands like shovels

50 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Pick 12-18 is where I'd want to grab him. Probably too high for a lot of people I'm going to assume.

I think you are correct - way too high for a suck-it-and-see

You must really like his game

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Murray is my favorite QB in this draft, he will be available with our pick because of size issues. I hope he declares 

He's not going to play football.  He's not going to pay 4 million dollars for the opportunity to make way less money in a league that is infinitely more dangerous and that he doesn't have the body for.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not going to play football.  He's not going to pay 4 million dollars for the opportunity to make way less money in a league that is infinitely more dangerous and that he doesn't have the body for.

Well, he would make more than that as a 1st round pick in the NFL. He has major upside in baseball, but a lot of baseball phenoms end up washing out, and the difference between baseball and football in that regard is that washouts int eh NFL are making money while washing out. So there's a decent amount of gray area with what he will and should do.

What's worrisome with him is all the whispers that he wants to try to do both. There is absolutely no way you can be a part-time NFL QB. Apart from everything else that would give me some major pause if I was thinking of drafting him.

OU fan here, So I'm biased. Kyler Murray would be fun. For a mobile QB he protects himself better than just about anyone I've seen. He is also undefeated in AT&T stadium thru high school championships and college. I know that doesn't translate to anything in the NFL but it's still cool.

Also with OU, Rodney Anderson might be a late round steal of a running back due to his injuries.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but it could be fixed.  I am not sure about Kyler, yet.  I've watched him a ton.  The dude would make RG3 look like a slow-bad runner in comparison but wonder about the 5 9" height.  And I think you have to run a spread type of system with him -- that doesn't seem to be Jay's thing and if Jay's gone we don't know yet who replaces him. 

Doesn't matter how fast he is, if he's gotta be flushed out of the pocket to be effective then he'll be dead by week 2 not 3.

Archived