Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Russini with all the craziness got the Haskins thing right.  So here's she is saying receiver.   Granted the point is obvious.   But yeah that's the one to monitor tonight it looks almost for sure. 

I think the next two picks HAVE to be receiver/tight end and LG. Would be thrilled with a Campbell/Nate Davis combo of Sternberner/Nate David combo. We need to add a weapon and we need to add a young capable LG. If we do those two things, then sure we will still have some holes. Weapons on the whole will still be questionable. Do we have a CB1? FS is iffy as is the starter next to Foster at ILB. But man there’s no doubt in my mind that Jay will be fielding a talented enough team to make it work next season if we can solidify LG and add a dynamic weapon in the passing game. I know we disagreee about the level of talent on the team and know you weren’t huge on Haskins, but that’s just my take. Offensive heavy rest of way.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I didn't watch much of Montgomery, because I don't believe the skins will draft a guy like him. They are pretty transparent and draft for need, and I am sure they think they are set other than at speed back. agree with you about strength and contact balance. When I was watching Blake Cashman vs Iowa State, he fell off of Montgomery multiple times.  

Montgomery did that too a lot of guys.  I think he led the country in broken tackles this season.  Absolute animal in short leverage and goal to go situations.  Montgomery would be a litmus test BPA pick.  It's the kind of pick that would demonstrate true vision IMO.  I would be so impressed after a draft where we got both Haskins and him that I would want to drive up to Ashburn just to shake Allen's hand.

But I think he's going to go in the second round.

25 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I think the next two picks HAVE to be receiver/tight end and LG. Would be thrilled with a Campbell/Nate Davis combo of Sternberner/Nate David combo. We need to add a weapon and we need to add a young capable LG. If we do those two things, then sure we will still have some holes. Weapons on the whole will still be questionable. Do we have a CB1? FS is iffy as is the starter next to Foster at ILB. But man there’s no doubt in my mind that Jay will be fielding a talented enough team to make it work next season if we can solidify LG and add a dynamic weapon in the passing game. I know we disagreee about the level of talent on the team and know you weren’t huge on Haskins, but that’s just my take. Offensive heavy rest of way.

Sternberger has been one of the man crushes in the third round range for a long time.   As for the level of talent, I thought pass rusher was the main missing component on defense so love the Sweat move.

My beef is the offensive side of the ball.  And as I've been saying my mind can change on that front after the draft.  At the moment, I think the passing game set up stinks.   But lets say they have some surprise drop and get Deebo in the third along with Sternberger -- then my mind would change. 

As for Haskins, there are aspects I like about him and aspects I don't.   He definitely wasn't my guy and didn't like the pick.  But, I'll let it ride and see what happens but I doubt he's a factor this season.  I am presuming he kicks in mostly next year.  But you never know.

It's a weird set up both tonight and tomorrow where we sit out a full round and then kick in with 2 picks.  So tough to tell what happens.  

As for receiver

Tier 1 for me (as to guys that are left

Hakeem Butler

Deebo Samuel

AJ Brown

DK Metcalf

Parris Campbell

Arcega-Whiteside

Tier 2

Andy Isabella

Kelvin Harmon (he's the last major receiver I haven't watched I'll try to get to him before tonight)

Miles Boykin

Emmanuel Hall

Terry McClaurin

Riley Ridley

There are some 5th-7th round types I like but don't love

Stanley Morgan

Darius Slayton

Gary Jennings

Diontae Thompson

Keesean Johnson

Davis Sills

Demarkus Lodge

I have strong opinions on some of them but not all.   But IMO there is a big drop off from tier 1 and tier 2.  Maybe Isabella would be tops in the tier 2 but I am gathering they are looking for a bigger X type receivers based on Doug's description.   Not that all these receivers I mention are X types but wonder if they think Isabella is too small in the context of what they already have. 

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Now, I know that ive been banging hard on picks that I made for Seattle in the ES Mock... But a lot of the guys I researched for Seattle fit the very same needs of our team. They need a TE/WR/OL. We most definitely will go with 2 wr's in this draft. 1 will be a big target, the other will be a multi-functional weapon with high upside. KaVontae Turpin late in the draft would fit that bill. He's elite in the return game, and looks like Golden Tate when he's lined up with the offense. One look at his career cutup at TCU and you are going to ask yourself, "why did no one make a move for this guy" in a year. 

Not deepdived the prospects in this draft, but you can see the value this kid could bring instantly. We haven't got anyone who can take the top off a defense. Even if you don't throw the ball to him all that much, at least make the defense accountable so they can't stack the box on Guice. Return game could definitely use a shot of class, it's sucked forever. We need someone who can flip the field for us sometimes and give us consistently decent field position. I know the rule changes have had a significant impact on that for KR, but if dude can return punts too then that's a big plus.

I actually think the return game is one of the most underrated aspects in football. Nobody invests heavily, but a guy who can give you a good spot reliably is worth his weight in gold imo. Takes the pressure off the QB.

However, Turpin been indicted on domestic violence charge so I doubt anyone will draft the kid - Has a previous arrest and was dismissed from the TCU programme. Seems to be major red flags about potential character issues. On the field, no doubt though, we could use someone with his skillset.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/tcuhornedfrogs/2019/04/09/report-former-tcu-receiver-kick-returnerkavontae-turpin-indicted-misdemeanor-assault-charge

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he's a deep threat flanker who doesn't have a lot of slot value.  I like him, but there was some softness in his game that I didn't love.  Body catcher.  Not as physical in the contact window as I thought he'd be given his size.  Disappointing catch radius and ability to make contested catches for a 6'2 receiver.  But his speed is legit.  Great short area quickness and CoD speed.  Build up and open field speed are elite.  He dusted SEC corners.  I think he's better than Terry McLaurin, but that McLaurin is tougher.  The first time I evaluated Hall I was thinking 4th round, but 3rd round shouldn't be out of the question given his extreme speed and explosiveness at a legit 6'2.  Not sure he's as good a fit for us as he would be for other teams though, since our offense tends to be fairly horizontal.

Agree with all of this.  Mostly I was focused on speedy receivers for the O, and he stood out as a mid rounder.  

I think he could work well here given his COD, and Gruden went deep plenty with Jackson (who, ironically, I thought we should have used more on horizontal routes).  Since we (I think) played Sims, Richardson and Quinn as flankers (plus Quinn in the slot at times of course), I do think we need to find our split end... which probably isn’t Hall.  Any thoughts about Fulgham or Morgan in that role?

6 minutes ago, UKskins said:

However, Turpin been indicted on domestic violence charge so I doubt anyone will draft the kid - Has a previous arrest and was dismissed from the TCU programme. Seems to be major red flags about potential character issues. On the field, no doubt though, we could use someone with his skillset.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/tcuhornedfrogs/2019/04/09/report-former-tcu-receiver-kick-returnerkavontae-turpin-indicted-misdemeanor-assault-charge

Charges dismissed last week...

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article229440009.html

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Agree with all of this.  Mostly I was focused on speedy receivers for the O, and he stood out as a mid rounder.  

I think he could work well here given his COD, and Gruden went deep plenty with Jackson (who, ironically, I thought we should have used more on horizontal routes).  Since we (I think) played Sims, Richardson and Quinn as flankers (plus Quinn in the slot at times of course), I do think we need to find our split end... which probably isn’t Hall.  Any thoughts about Fulgham or Morgan in that role? 

I like Fulgham, but I'm not convinced he's better than Doctson.  He's the player I'm most interested to see now with Haskins.  If they can mind-meld, Haskins will put that catch radius to work, and get him the ball down the field outside the numbers.  I don't have a take on Morgan because I didn't watch him this year.  You know better than me on that question.

So I guess my position on split end is, if we don't get somebody like Butler, then I'd be fine seeing what Doctson can do in a prove-it year.

I’m still not giving up on Doctson, I liked what he showed down the stretch last year. If he can combine the more explosive plays from his second (rookie) year and the tougher over the middle reliability he showed down the stretch last year, then I think he will be a serviceable weapon for sure. Richardson has talent but I have no faith he will ever stay healthy. I like Quinn/Simms/Davis. Cupboard not completely bare but yeah, need to take advantage of a deep pass catcher class.

2 minutes ago, UKskins said:

In that case, someone will take him - thanks for updating, like I said - I havent deepdived this draft at all.

Imo: it’s between us and Seattle, as we are 2 of only 4 teams to look at him. Was a private pro day, as he had been kicked off TCU’s program due to the pending charges. We had the edge until Seattle made their moves last night and picked up a handful of late picks. Now he’s a wild card. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.  As for receiver

Tier 1 for me (as to guys that are left

Hakeem Butler

Deebo Samuel

AJ Brown

DK Metcalf

Parris Campbell

Arcega-Whiteside

Tier 2

Andy Isabella

Kelvin Harmon (he's the last major receiver I haven't watched I'll try to get to him before tonight)

Miles Boykin

Emmanuel Hall

Terry McClaurin

Riley Ridley

There are some 5th-7th round types I like but don't love

Stanley Morgan

Darius Slayton

Gary Jennings

Diontae Thompson

Keesean Johnson

Davis Sills

Demarkus Lodge

I have strong opinions on some of them but not all.   But IMO there is a big drop off from tier 1 and tier 2.  Maybe Isabella would be tops in the tier 2 but I am gathering they are looking for a bigger X type receivers based on Doug's description.   Not that all these receivers I mention are X types but wonder if they think Isabella is too small in the context of what they already have. 

I’d cry tears of joy if any of those tier 1 receivers fell to #76. I think the tier #2 class is more reasonable to be there come mid-third round. Isabella, Boykin, Hall, or McClaurin as they are all 4.3 guys. Maybe they’re not as polished but at a minimum they can at least take the top off the defense and allow the underneath routes to produce - something Haskins  exploited well. 

1 minute ago, JaxJoe said:

I’d cry tears of joy if any of those tier 1 receivers fell to #76. I think the tier #2 class is more reasonable to be there come mid-third round. Boykin, Hall, or McClaurin as they are all 4.3 guys. Maybe they’re not as polished but at a minimum they can at least take the top off the defense and allow the underneath routes to produce - something Haskins  exploited well. 

Any of them got a return game string to their bow?

PFF's take for best available

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-best-available-2019-nfl-draft-prospects?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0205195e76-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_12_07_51_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-0205195e76-191311489

1. CB BYRON MURPHY, WASHINGTON (OVERALL: 6TH)

A 47.7% completion percentage against and 17 forced incompletions made Murphy the highest-graded corner in the country this past year.

Related Article: Physicality, passion, run defense: Washington CB Byron Murphy has it all

2. CB GREEDY WILLIAMS, LSU (OVERALL: 9TH)

His sophomore campaign wasn’t quite as dominant as his freshman season, but he still only allowed 27 of his 74 targets to be completed.

3. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR, FLORIDA (OVERALL: 15TH)

Taylor came into his own on the right side for Florida this past season and finished with the third-highest run-blocking grade among starting Power-5 tackles.

4. WR D.K. METCALF, OLE MISS (OVERALL: 17TH)

Metcalf’s numbers aren’t anything special, but his physical traits and high-end plays are promising.

Related Article: Boom-or-bust prospects

5. OT DALTON RISNER, KANSAS STATE (OVERALL: 19TH)

Risner started all four seasons at Kansas State and his career low grade was 87.9 overall.

6. WR A.J. BROWN, OLE MISS (OVERALL: 20TH)

Brown was the definition of a complete receiver for Ole Miss. He forced 17 broken tackles, had 34 explosive plays and only dropped five passes on 90 catchable.

Related Article: Don’t sleep on Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown, a first-round player

7. OT CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA (OVERALL: 22ND)

In Ford’s lone season as a starter, he allowed all of seven pressures all season long and didn’t allow a sack until the playoffs.

8. WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE, STANFORD (OVERALL: 23RD)

Arcega-Whiteside led the entire draft class with 19 contested catches this past season on only 32 contested opportunities.

Related Article: Why Stanford’s JJ Arcega-Whiteside is a top-three wideout in the 2019 NFL Draft

9. QB WILL GRIER, WEST VIRGINIA (OVERALL: 24TH)

Grier tied Drew Lock for the NCAA lead with 33 big-time throws and has the second-best best passing grade behind Kyler Murray.

10. C ELGTON JENKINS, MISSISSIPPI STATE (OVERALL: 26TH)

The Mississippi State center allowed all of five pressures this past season on 369 pass-blocking snaps.

11. S NASIR ADDERLEY, DELAWARE (OVERALL: 27TH)

Adderly earned a 90.3 overall grade with Delaware a year ago, and his 89.9 2018 coverage grades leads all draft-eligible safeties. 

12. EDGE CHASE WINOVICH, MICHIGAN (OVERALL: 29TH)

Winovich is coming off back to back seasons with grades over 90 overall – the only such qualifying power-5 player in the draft class that can boast that.

Related Article: Michigan edge Chase Winovich is more than just a scouting cliché

13. WR ANDY ISABELLA, MASSACHUSETTS (OVERALL: 30TH)

Isabella was the highest-graded wide receiver in the country, racking up 1,696 yards, including 219 against Georgia.

Related Article: Andy Isabella is much more than a slot receiver, can ‘do it all’

14. CB DAVID LONG, MICHIGAN (OVERALL: 33RD)

Long allowed all of 18 catches on 595 coverage snaps in his entire college career at Michigan.

Related Article: Michigan CB David Long can overcome size concerns to be a steal in the 2019 NFL Draft

15. OT GREG LITTLE, OLE MISS (OVERALL: 34TH)

Over the past two seasons, Little allowed all of 26 total pressures on 993 pass-blocking snaps.

16. CB AMANI ORUWARIYE, PENN STATE (OVERALL: 36TH)

Oruwariye had the best week of any corner at the Senior Bowl, notching the highest win rate among all defenders in the one-on-ones.

17. QB DREW LOCK, MISSOURI (OVERALL: 37TH)

Lock paired an NCAA leading 33 big-time throws with only six turnover-worthy plays as a senior.

Related Article: Drew Lock has gotten better every year, but he still may not warrant a first-round pick

18. S TAYLOR RAPP, WASHINGTON (OVERALL: 38TH)

Rapp was one of the most assignment-sure safeties in the country this past season and missed all of two tackles on 56 attempts.

Related Article: Former UW standout Taylor Rapp says he’s ‘the most versatile safety in this draft’

19. CB JUSTIN LAYNE, MICHIGAN STATE (OVERALL: 39TH)

Layne’s 89.5 coverage grade last year was ninth best among Power-5 corners in the nation. He also dabbled at receiver where he took 36 snaps this past season.

20. EDGE ZACH ALLEN, BOSTON COLLEGE (OVERALL: 40TH)

Allen was one of the best run defenders in college football in 2017 before a 90.3 pass-rushing grade this past season. He was an ironman for BC, playing 107 snaps against Wake Forest this past season.

Related Article: Zach Allen calls for NFL teams to ‘put on the tape’ to see his value, mean streak

21. WR HAKEEM BUTLER, IOWA STATE (OVERALL: 42ND)

Butler’s size (6-foot-5, 227 pounds) might suggest a possession receiver, but he had more receptions 20-plus yards downfield (19) than anyone in the draft class.

22. S AMANI HOOKER, IOWA (OVERALL: 44TH)

Hooker’s 91.1 coverage grade last season was the second-highest of any defensive back in the country.

23. CB JULIAN LOVE, NOTRE DAME (OVERALL: 45TH)

Love’s 21 forced incompletions were the sixth-most in college football last season and his 14 coverage stops ranked 10th.

24. DI KHALEN SAUNDERS, WESTERN ILLINOIS (OVERALL: 47TH)

Saunders moves like an edge and even played there at times for Western Illinois. He went to the Senior Bowl and had the second-highest win rate among interior players in the one-on-ones.

25. S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON, FLORIDA (OVERALL: 49TH)

Gardner-Johnson is perfect for the slot/safety hybrid role in today’s NFL. He led all secondary players with 22 coverage stops this past season.

26. OT MAX SCHARPING, NORTHERN ILLINOIS (OVERALL: 50TH)

The four-year starter had pass protection grades above 87.0 every season of his career.

27. WR DEEBO SAMUEL, SOUTH CAROLINA (OVERALL: 52ND)

Samuel broke an absurd 21 tackles on only 62 catches this past season and had a fantastic week at the Senior Bowl.

28. EDGE ANTHONY NELSON, IOWA (OVERALL: 53RD)

Nelson has been one of the most productive edge defenders in college football over the past two seasons and has the size to kick inside at times as well.

29. G HJALTE FROHOLDT, ARKANSAS (OVERALL: 55TH)

Froholdt played both center and guard during his tenure with the Razorbacks. This past season, he was one of the nation’s best pass protectors, allowing five pressures all season long.

30. LB TE’VON CONEY, NOTRE DAME (OVERALL: 57TH)

Coney’s 90.5 coverage grade and 91.7 run-defense grade last season both ranked top-10 among all linebackers in college football.

31. S JUAN THORNHILL, VIRGINIA (OVERALL: 58TH)

Thornhill has the ball production (13 career picks including six this past season) and had the most freakish measurables of any safety at the combine.

32. LB BLAKE CASHMAN, MINNESOTA (OVERALL: 59TH)

Cashman earned a 90.0-plus overall grade this past season and tested out as one of the most athletic linebackers in the class at the combine.

33. DI DRE’MONT JONES, OHIO STATE (OVERALL: 62ND)

No player in the FBS rushed the passer more than Dre’Mont Jones’ 500 snaps this past year. The man simply didn’t come off the field and still produced a 90.5 pass-rushing grade.

34. EDGE RONHEEN BINGHAM, ARKANSAS STATE (OVERALL: 63RD)

Bingham’s 31.7 percent win rate was the highest among all defensive linemen in college football this past season.

35. OT CHUMA EDOGA, USC (OVERALL 64TH)

Edoga is slightly built and needs to add more muscle to his frame, but he is already stingy in pass protection. He allowed four pressures all last season.

36. S DEIONTE THOMPSON, ALABAMA (OVERALL: 66TH)

He got exposed more down the stretch this season, but Thompson made plays from centerfield that few NFL safeties are even capable of.

37. TE JACE STERNBERGER, TEXAS A&M (OVERALL: 67TH)

Sternberger might not have the size or athleticism of others in this class, but all he did was produce. He had the highest receiving grade of any tight end in the country.

38. WR TERRY MCLAURIN, OHIO STATE (OVERALL: 68TH)

McLaurin’s production doesn’t tell the whole story, as he was one part of a loaded Ohio State receiving corps. He put on a show with his deep speed and route running at the Senior Bowl.

39. CB ROCK YA-SIN, TEMPLE (OVERALL: 69TH)

Ya-Sin has the size and length NFL teams covet at the cornerback position. The longest reception he allowed all season was only 17 yards.

40. WR RILEY RIDLEY, GEORGIA (OVERALL: 71ST)

Georgia had an embarrassment of riches at the playmaker positions, which held Ridley to only 60 targets last season. Like his brother Calvin, Riley is an exceptional route runner, but unlike Calvin, lacks top-end speed.

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Not a fan of going with any small wr that made his money in the slot in the 3rd. In case you all werent aware, Quinn happened to put up very similar numbers to Andy.

Andy Isabella:

5'10" 190 lbs

102 receptions

16.6 yard average

1698 yards

13 td

Trey Quinn:

6' 202 lbs

114 receptions

10.8 yard average

1236 yards

13 td

The stretch run of Isabella's final year at UMass:

9/29: @ Ohio: 12-198-3 

10/6: Vs South Florida: 13-191-1
10/20: Vs Coastal Carolina: 10-174-0

10/27: @UConn: 4-78-1

11/03: Vs Liberty: 9-303-3

11/10: Vs BYU: 10-85

11/17: Vs Georgia: 15-219-2

Athletic Profile:

40: 4.31 100th Percentile (Size Adjusted Speed Score: 70th Percentile)

Burst Score: 58th Percentile
Agility Score: 65th Percentile

SPARQ-x: 87th Percentile

Production:

Dominator: 97th Percentile

Breakout Age: 70th Percentile

It's not really close, his production was ridiculous, and when he got games against legit competion he ranged from quietly productive, to blow the doors off explosive. Isabella has the most attractive profile of any WR in this draft not named AJ Brown or N'Keal Harry. It has everything you want: Production, production against elite competition, athleticism, and young breakout age (19). There aren't really any receivers that cross every t to that degree other than perhaps Harry and AJ Brown. Only concern I have is if he can be press effectively when used outside. I'd like him to be able to work from places other than the slot, and he has, but the next level is a big jump. 

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like Fulgham, but I'm not convinced he's better than Doctson.  He's the player I'm most interested to see now with Haskins.  If they can mind-meld, Haskins will put that catch radius to work, and get him the ball down the field outside the numbers.  I don't have a take on Morgan because I didn't watch him this year.  You know better than me on that question.

So I guess my position on split end is, if we don't get somebody like Butler, then I'd be fine seeing what Doctson can do in a prove-it year.

Topic for a different thread, but I’m with you on Doctson, mostly because I think he hasn’t had a qb that really fed him the ball.  Butler would be a really nice add - more of a bully than Doctson.  

Has Haskins had any experience working with more of a jump ball/contested catch guy?

Still think we need to add an X that can compete with or perhaps take over for Doctson next year.  

@Skinsinparadise what about Dillon Mitchell?  I think I’d put him (and Morgan, but that’s personal taste) in tier 2.  I think he needs grooming, but that play making ability is pretty sweet to watch (and something we could use) - maybe the most exciting receiver in the draft with the ball in hand.  

I like Anthony Ratliff-Williams as well. Haven’t watched much, but I think he’s a lot better than he’s getting credit for.  

Crazy receiver depth this year, IMO.  

6 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Will we keep 3 QBs on our roster? If not, is Keenum and a 3rd worth a 2nd? If Az trades away Rosen, perhaps they might like to add Keenum?

I imagine Smith gets IRed and Colt gets cut. Don't see how or why we go with three QBs

19 minutes ago, Skinned said:

Would love to get Hakeem Butler. I could see the Skins packaging their 3rds to move up for the WR of their choice, and then trading down later to recoup some picks.

We have #76 (210 pts) and #96 (116) for a total of 326 pts or #58 (320) in the 2nd round. But that pick is owned by Dallas; doubt they trade with us. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Archived