Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Was looking forward to the draft til I opened up CBS and ESPN NFL sites today and they are all reporting that Snyder is taking over the 1st round of the draft. Poof there goes my happiness. I know there is a lot of misinformation going especially just before draft and how recent past have suggested that we have drafted fairly well but there is always the risk of Snyder jumping in for a prospect he personally likes especially in the 1st round.

I know its probably someone just trying to shake up draft expectations but I also thought Snyder was hands off until the RG3 post disaster saga unfolded. Fingers crossed Snyder uses his head instead of his heart. 

I watched Miles Boykin and it was tough for me to miss  their TE, Alize Mack in the process.  Boykin for me isn't a super easy read but I like his potential.  He physically looks like a rock star type of a receiver.  He's big and fast but it seems more in a straight line type way.  He's a long strider and can really motor once he gets going.  I get that he was a combine freak but he doesn't always move IMO like someone who is crazy fast.  But to use a comp to DK Metcalf, I don't see why he can't be one of those big dude vertical threats like him.  A Josh Gordon type.  I saw a few times where he got behind his defender going deep but he had to come back to the ball because it was under thrown.  I posted one of those clips here.  His QB play was atrocious.

He played mostly X but also played some in the slot.   For a big dude he's not as physical as N'Keal Harry.  He gets himself entangled quite a bit with defenders covering him and unlike Harry he often doesn't come out with the ball in those cases.  They'd use him a lot on vertical routes like how Ole Miss used Metcalf and quick in routes like shallow crossers.  Nothing special from what I saw as a YAC guy. 

He has some potential, some nice acrobatic catches.   Deep threat.  I think he's a good physical blocker, too.  Doesn't seem as refined though as some of the 2nd round type Wrs we've talked about.  But as a 3rd-4th rounder type, I'd take a chance. 

It was tough to miss Alize Mack.  Their QB didn't get him the ball much but he got open.  He looks quick for a TE, has good hands and is a feisty YAC guy.  He seems to be a decent blocker, too.  I posted some clips of him here.   Maybe somewhere in the 6th round or so?  Looks like he has some baggage -- reading about him it feels like a Fred Davis type of personality.  So if that's the case maybe I'd stay away.  But as a late round TE, he looks intriguing to me.

Build the defense, build the offensive line and keep trading back to acquire picks. DO NOT TRADE ANY 2020 PICKS. That should be the mantra....in my opinion. Dominant offensive lines and defenses win championships.

I learned this from Joe Gibbs.

just a reminder, posting this again...

"Ian Rapoport found himself in an uncomfortable position. The NFL draft was due to start in a matter of hours, and one team’s general manager was asking him to play the role of carrier pigeon.

“I need you to tell [a second GM] that I’m not going to draft [a specific first-round prospect],” the GM told him.

Rapoport, an insider for NFL Network, didn’t know what to make of this request, and he didn’t want to do it. Just tell him you spoke to me, the GM insisted, and this is what I wanted him to know. Rapoport agreed, as long as he could be transparent. So, he contacted the second general manager, explained what the first general manager had told him, and….

“Why don’t you tell [the first GM] that he’s full of ****,” the second GM replied, “and I don’t believe him.”

Underlying the intrigue and drama of the NFL draft is a black market for information. Teams need to know about more than just the players—they also need to know who else likes the players they like and where in the draft order they have to be to get those players.

They cast a wide net to get that information, one that includes media insiders like Rapoport and ESPN’s Adam Schefter, and even each other. One agent recalls being surprised to see a text exchange between two high-ranking executives from different teams about a player he represented. One of the execs told the other that his team was not going to draft that position high that year, but he really thought the other team should take a look at this particular player. He concluded by saying, “You owe me.”

Several GMs referred to the intelligence trade as “critical” to maneuvering the draft, so much so, that they refused to even talk about their tactics. “I wish I could tell you,” Seahawks GM John Schneider says, “but I don’t want to give that up, you know?” And, like any underground economy, you can never be sure if the goods you’re getting are legitimate, but that certainly doesn’t stop anyone from trying.

“That’s what it’s like this time of year,” Rapoport says. “Everyone wants you to know they are not interested in what they actually are, and everyone is wondering, ‘If we want to make this move, how actually feasible is it?’ ”

[...]Host Wendi Nix opened the conversation in-studio in Bristol by noting it’s the season for smoke screens. “And baloney, and malarkey,” Bill Polian, the Hall of Fame GM, replied on set. “Late intelligence is suspect intelligence, that’s the way I would look at it. … I wouldn’t give it a lot of credence.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/23/nfl-draft-information-trade-media-adam-schefter-ian-rapoport-rick-gosselin

Redskins are trying to get teams to take QB's so a defensive player will fall to them..No way they trade up for a QB and the timeline for this information that they want to is so obvious that it is a smokescreen.

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

Redskins are trying to get teams to take QB's so a defensive player will fall to them..No way they trade up for a QB and the timeline for this information that they want to is so obvious that it is a smokescreen.

You're giving him way too much credit. Danny isn't that savvy. Nobody in our FO is.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

You're giving him way too much credit. Danny isn't that savvy. Nobody in our FO is.

I just don't think he is that stupid to try it..He and Bruce are on thin ice right now and i don't think he would take that chance knowing fans would be out for blood knowing he had his hand in the selection.

10 minutes ago, bh32 said:

This is my guess or they have a different QB in mind.  They were practically putting a billboard up today that they are dying to have Haskins and will do whatever it takes to get him.  I think it was way too obvious and in your face that it was orchestrated.  But will see. 

The beat guys who know the team the best aren't buying that they are trading up.  This seems like a national media thing which also makes me suspicious. 

For ****s sake dont trade up for a QB in this draft. If you must take a QB in the first one of them will be there at 15. While I actually love Haskins and his incredible medium range accuracy, he is not worth trading up for. Next years draft will be very QB heavy. Take your damn lumps for once and build the right way.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is my guess or they have a different QB in mind.  They were practically putting a billboard up today that they are dying to have Haskins and will do whatever it takes to get him.  I think it was way too obvious and in your face that it was orchestrated.  But will see. 

The guys who know the team the best aren't buying that they are trading up.  This seems like a national media thing which also makes me suspicious. 

Just the way Jay and Doug have been talking in interviews the last couple weeks.. talking about ball control offense and playing field position leads me to believe that they want to make the defense dominate,which ls why i think it will be a defensive player selected rd 1..

6 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Just the way Jay and Doug have been talking in interviews the last couple weeks.. talking about ball control offense and playing field position leads me to believe that they want to make the defense dominate,which ls why i think it will be a defensive player selected rd 1..

I think so too.  But that point doesn't run against the rumors.  The rumor is Dan wants to go a different route than many in his FO. 

I still think there was just too much out there though about this today to not think its likely a smoke screen of some sort.   They got just about every major national NFL reporter thinking they are trading up for a QB.  Heck just heard it again a little while ago on Jeremiah's draft show.  It feels orchestrated to me.

But yeah to your point I think they go defense too and skip QB or if they go QB it isn't trading up for Haskins.  Will see. 

I've been following the Giants draft stuff closely too and all the mixed rumors about them are wild, too

9 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Alex was brought in to run the same plan SF and KC ran successfully. It was a decent move that was meant to provide a proven leader and winner to the team ( as opposed to an expensive status-quo) while we drafted a guy this year and had him learn the ropes. Part of the cost was too much, but in all, the plan was sound. Injuries happened. Half of DC immediately went back into their shell.

Ratings were down because who wants to watch a skeleton crew in the middle of no-where-maryland, in a bad venue, with a qb that has the charisma of a potted plant, senor butt fumble, or a journeyman no-name camp fodder? Get a guy with moxie and potential, and get a new stadium deal at the site of RFK and watch the season ticket list explode.

The Smith trade was ill conceived.

If Snyder goes all in and mortgages a decade by throwing away a bunch of top picks for another whiz-bang 1 read QB doofus I hope he allows Gruden to use the 4th pick on a kid who can actually learn how to play QB in the NFL because I'm sure Dan's #1 QB pick will be another mega-bust. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Am I the only one that looks at Haskins, Lock and Grier and sees a group of QBs who are pretty damn close to one another as far as where they are/their floor/their ceilings?

RE: Deebo - Dude is a stud. 

Griers ceiling is the same as yours.

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

It's easy to say the team should have picked a QB, but who really was the team going to take? If they'd stayed put, the only QB available in the first round was Lamar Jackson. If they tried to trade up, the only viable options would have been Josh Allen or Josh Rosen. Trading up would involve giving up draft picks, like the one that netted Guice. Plus Allen still can't throw and Rosen is available for a steep discount this offseason. So these all look like bad moves. Any other QB taken after the first would be a developmental guy at best and likely to be nothing more than a back up. So no fan interest their either.

They should have done what I said, trade out of round 1 last year or take Derwin, not sign Kirk, not trade for Smith, trade Trent. 

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Please.  That was his worst game of the season, and it wasn't that bad.  I don't understand how anyone can watch the play at 5:30 and not realize this kid is ****ing special.  Also love the play at 8:40.  Bad snap which he handles.  Pumps the flat to get the slot corner to bite, gets McLaurin open than he feathers a 20 yard throw to him at the numbers for the first down.  That was a broken play from the start that usually ends with an incompletion or sack that a blue chip QB turns into a first down.

How about we take a look at that Michigan game too?  Shredded the #1 pass defense in the country.  Threw it 31 times and made like five incorrect reads total.  Blazing release.  Effortless velocity.  Awesome accuracy.  Ability to deliver the ball on the run.  Ability to turn negative situations into positive plays.  Ability to pick up yards on zone read runs.  Ability to work through his progressions to the right read.  Ability to fit NFL windows with ease.  In a game full of NFL prospects, Haskins was the best guy on the field by a mile.  If you and @volsmet want to see what actual horrendous quarterbacking looks like, watch what that Michigan pass defense did to Michigan State's QBs.

Most of you guys are tripping about Haskins.  Good Lord.  The only thing you guys need to worry about with Haskins is the Giants getting him at 6.  We would be unbelievably lucky to get him.  No pick could improve our future more than that.

Every talented QB has nice plays, Haskins was an udfa v MSU & psu. 

Archived