Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

15 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I agree with you that one year college starters are very risky. But it still doesn't explain how Lock is more ready to contribute in 2019.  That's like say Cam Newton is not pro ready for starting just one year, but Christian Ponder is pro ready because he started 3 years. A huge part of the equation is talent. Haskins is a risky pick, to be sure. But I fail to see how anyone can say with any certainty that he's less ready than Lock. It's pure speculation. And if this team is trying to base who they pick on how they'll do in 2019 only, well have mercy on all of us. Cause 99% of rookie QBs suck regardless, including future HOFers. The exceptions tend to be the guys put on stacked teams and asked to do very little (think Roethlisberger)

But you can't say that about ANY prospect with certainty.  It's all a guessing game. It's all speculation.  You are making educated guesses.  Heck about 40% of first rounders are busts. 

To me the narrative that Lock is more ready than Haskins is easy to make.  His style of play and him having a lot more experience fits that narrative IMO.  So Jay who played QB saying that Lock is the more ready one doesn't sound out there to me.  Could it be dead wrong.  Sure.  But its not hard argument to make IMO. 

who the hell knows what's going on. We don't really have that many assets worth trading. 

Even in a scenario where say we shipped out Norman, moved DRC to corner and looked to draft Savage, there really is marginal value in Norman via trade. Look at Trent, the guy has narrowly missed being out for the season with a major health scare. Think he's probably worth more to us these days.

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

This rumor of the owner going all in over a Qb near top of draft reminds me of Frank Langella in Draft Day.  God Help us.

Bo Callahan it is! But then again Costner got Superman to QB his team. Costner for GM!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc0d4be3841433232

The problem that I have with the potential trading up situation is that it doesn't really go with what the front office have been trying to do in recent years in terms of a less aggressive approach e.g. trying to collect as many compensatory picks as possible as well as trying increase the % of players on the roster coming from the draft which is almost unrecognisable from the start of Snyder reign where splashes in free agency was the norm. If we were going to trade up to #5 or #3 this would tell me that Snyder had decided to take control again as he did in 2012 to get RG3 which we now know didn't end as we hoped. Even then though RG3 was coming out of college with much more production being a multiple year starter at Baylor compared to Haskins who had a great supporting cast with him at Ohio and is only a one year starter. I'm not saying that I don't think Haskins can be a success in this league, I just don't believe that potentially giving up a number of picks is the way to go on a roster that has multiple holes particularly on offense. Murray would be somebody that I could maybe trading up so far up the board because in my opinion as well as having a bust potential he has the potential to be a superstar which I don't see in Haskins. Even then this would be a huge risk for a team with many holes to fill with and in that case a rookie QB. 

I do find it interesting that talk on both Rosen and Lock has gone quite recently which could hopefully suggest a smokescreen which the Skins are trying to drive down the price for them. Personally I see no benefit in the Cardinals trying to keep hold of Rosen and Murray (if Murray taken #1) because all this does is narrows down the potential interested parties as well as the price teams are willing to pay. It would be in the Cardinals to trade Rosen just before the Draft to allow that pick to be used to fill the multiple holes that they have in this draft and give Murray as support cast. 

Finally the less I say about the potential pick of trading up for Jones at #5 the better as that has a complete disaster written all over but it would be fun tomorrow night on here with the reactions if we did and then reality would sink it as to who we've drafted. 

HTTR

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My worst fear may be coming to reality. I LOVED the way weve been building. Loved the comp picks, love the attention to d line, love getting actual value out of late rounders, just to name a few. But it became too boring and the fans disappeared and/or worried more about raising a pitchfork with Allen’s head on it. And now it’s time for Danny boy to step in, or so he thinks. What a shame.

If this rumor is true, it’s certainly not surprising.

As for Dan/Bruce learning anything, please.

They clearly haven’t learned anything.

The McNabb disaster didn’t stop them from getting Smith.

Why wouldn’t they trade away a bunch of needed picks to go get a QB?

Pretty sure Shanahan laid it on the table.

”All Dan cares about is QB.”

17 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

My worst fear may be coming to reality. I LOVED the way weve been building. Loved the comp picks, love the attention to d line, love getting actual value out of late rounders, just to name a few. But it became too boring and the fans disappeared and/or worried more about raising a pitchfork with Allen’s head on it. And now it’s time for Danny boy to step in, or so he thinks. What a shame.

Are...are you really trying to blame this hypothetical on the fans you don't agree with? Weird behavior. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was wondering where you've been -- this being a big time TE draft among other things. 

I was fed up. I still am. I've gotten pretty tired of the NFL and the skins are such a clown show, it stopped being fun. Now I pop in and find out we over paid a SS while not having a FS still, signed Case 3 years too late and Danny Boy maybe taking over the draft. If he does, Gruden and everyone should just quit and leave, along with every fan.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not a Snyder or Allen fan, but we need to wait until tomorrow and hold reporters accountable accordingly. If we stand pat and take Lock/Haskins or a defender, I dont want to hear anymore from some of these hacks (Not Russini specifically, just in general).

Its such low hanging fruit to say crap about Snyder "Forcing" a pick and overriding his scouts/FO.

Again, I'll wait until tomorrow to pass judgement. But If do nothing, I dont want to see a bunch of lame tweets about "Ownership really wanted a QB, but FO members and coaches almost resigned in protest until decision was rescinded... That's the ONLY reason a trade up didnt occur"

Also, We need to keep in mind where some of this could be coming from. We know Gruden & Allen want to save their jobs. Drafting a QB in the 1st does NOT help that cause. Snyder may be making sure "Hey, dont take some pash rusher so we can win 9 games instead of 8. Do whats best for the long term success of this team"

Not saying Snyder is that smart or prudent, but it could be the influence of younger guys like O'Connell/Kyle Smith who want a QB against the CYA crew of Allen and Gruden.

Just food for thought.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Are...are you really trying to blame this hypothetical on the fans you don't agree with? Weird behavior. 

Blame? Nah, I get it. My Dad after years of having STH and taking me to games as a little kid finally gave them up after all the nonsense that Dan and this franchise has put us through. 

But in my mind we FINALLY somehow someway began to draft well, retain the most important guys while letting the other guys go for comp picks. Late rounders/UDFA began to pan out and contribute for us. Built a monstrous homegrown D line. Just a few things I clamored for for years and we finally started delivering on them. So for me, personally, yes it would be a shame to see Snyder step back in and ignore the wishes of the smarter football people in that building that are bringing some of those things. Like you said, it’s a hypothetical, but this is something I brought up right after the season. I didn’t think it would be possible for Dan to sit still any longer with all of the apathy setting in, just bad timing as we now finally showed the ability to build a football team the right way.

If the reports that Snyder is making the first round pick is true, then there is one thing I'm confident in. The pick will be a business decision, not a football decision. It won't be someone in the trenches, but rather a flashy pick that will help boost jersey sales. 

That means it will most likely be a QB, causing most of the fanbase to do a RG3 shiver. 

Just to temper my expectations i'm thinking we'll give up an RG3 randsom to move up to #3 with the Jets and we'll be picking Daniel Jones. To be clear, this is the absolute worst case scenario, but if I'm expecting it anything less worse will make me feel better. 

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I'll try to answer this without turning this into the FO thread.  I'll just say this I used to think Dan was a dumb guy as to football but knew something about marketing and PR.  Now I think he's dumb on both counts.  There was an easy PR path to take with the fire Bruce movement but he didn't take it.  That would have done more for his PR issues than any QB dilemma IMO. This team earns all the bad PR they get in part because of IMO Dan's PR stupidity among other things. 

The one thing about all this noise on Dan.  It seems so loud and in your face that maybe it's a misinformation campaign?  If you break it down simply.  the message is:

A. Dan loves Haskins

B.  Dan will trade up

C.  People inside the organization disagree with Dan about Haskins

Does it all flow together for a narrative?  I think so.  Maybe they have another target at QB (at least two guys covering this team think that's the case) but they want to take people off that scent.  And why say that there is some division in the FO?   Maybe because some people from within that FO likely hinted to other people in the past who they really liked and Haskins wasn't the dude.  So how do they reconcile all of that to keep the focus on Haskins?  They just say that Dan and Bruce feel the way they do and they will make the call.  

Now if all if this ends up to be true.  Then this is the RG3 situation IMO on steroids.  We got talking going on BEFORE the pick is made by multiple local and national reporters that Jay doesn't want Haskins and some people in the FO aren't into him either.    On the RG3 front there was speculation that it was the case but it wasn't a mainstream talked about take let alone talked about before the draft.  Right now it's a mainstream take from the majority of people who cover this team both locally and nationally that Haskins is Dan's guy. 

And then you got Dan with the reverse midas touch on QBs with his fingerprints and man crushes on players (based on reports) including:  Patrick Ramsey, Jeff George, Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Jay Cutler, RG3, McNabb.  I think any random dude throwing darts at a dart board would hit on more QBs than Dan.  So if we got a narrative that Dan loves Haskins and most of his people do not -- good luck with that as the backdrop if Haskins gets off to a slow start to his career.

And count me among Jay (apparently), McCloughan, Cooley among others who are skeptical about Haskins.  So it doesn't seem to me that far fetched that Dan's new romance at QB will be another bust.

But I sincerely do think its at least 50-50 its a smoke screen.  And if I had to bet I'd go smokescreen. It just seems so blatant and in your face right now.   Maybe its to take people off the trail of them liking Lock or wanting the Giants to waste draft capital or whatever.    Hey I know Dan is charmed by QBs and their personalities.  Haskins has the big name and is sexier on that front.  But Lock is the much more charismatic personality. 

I don't rule out Dan's involvement.  I think very little of Dan as an owner but I did subscribe to the belief that he hasn't been that hands on of late. But three things make me think differently now. 1.  Some of the same sources who said Dan wasn't involved much in the recent past are now saying he's back to becoming more involved.   2.  Like you said they are at a low point with fans and I'd also their status in the NFL as a team to watch. 3.  Dan's weakness/soft spot is QB.  That's where he likes to get involved.  Can Dan resist a friend of his son who plays QB?  Resist Shawn Springs saying Haskins is a star?  Resist Haskins' camp apparently getting word to Dan that he wants to be a Redskins -- just like Landon Collins did?  That's why to me am 50-50 on whether its true.   I can see it either way. But I lean smokescreen.

I would rather go onto that show fear factor and sit in a tank of snakes, or eat spiders, than have to endure watching our team trade up to #3 tomorrow night, and give away a kings ransom. This is the worst case scenario IMO regardless of the player that we would be trading up to get. 

Archived