Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three little Birds thread, It's gonna be aight. Good ju-ju thread

SWFLSkins

On 8/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, kleese said:

Reasons to be optimistic:

1. Best/deepest roster we’ve had since 1991-1992

2. Good coaching staff

Obviously those are both subjective, but I go back pretty far and this is the most comfortable I’ve been with our organization in 25 years... and I said the same last year. I think we were a 10ish win team last year if not for the out-of-the-ordinary level of injuries. And I think we took that roster and improved it this year. 

I wanted to resign Kirk, but that was due in large part because I thought the alternative was going to be Colt or start over in the draft— neither of those things excited me. I was pleasantly surprised when the FO nabbed Smith who I consider a slight upgrade from KC— and I think Smith probably has 3 or so years left playing at a high level so the age difference doesn’t bother me. 

I also love that we’ve addressed the DL in a legitimate way and I like the OL continuity and depth. I think our recent FA signings have been smart. 

Lastly, I’m a huge Gruden fan. I think he’s a very meh game manager, but I feel that way about 85% of Head coaches on all levels of football. I think he’s a sharp offensive mind, a good leader, and someone that has brought stability and accountability to our organization. 

Being a .500ish team for three straight years matters to me... a lot. It is NOT same ole’ Redskins. Same ole’ Redskins would have been to follow a playoff season with a disaster and starting over with a new staff; probably bottoming out as one of the worst teams/rosters in the league. Now, we’ve positioned ourselves where we are good enough that we can win 10+ game if we catch some breaks... in other words we are sort of a “normal” NFL team now and I think we’ve distanced ourselves from our cellar-dweller/embarrassment past. That is a big deal to me. 

The injuries are discouraging but as of this very moment our roster is not decimated—

no more so than anyone else in the league at least. Last year, it got out of control. Hopefully

this year it is manageable/normal where you lose guys from time to time for a few weeks here and there, but you don’t lose your entire OL at once or things like that. 

I think we can win the division this year... as a matter of fact I might predict just that. I think Eagles take a step back, Boys are very average, Giants improve but also wind up

in the 8 win range. Need to see who is still standing after pre season first though. 

Excellent post!  I share your outlook.  I think NFL progress incrementally and being a .500 team for 3 seasons is a huge positive.  I hope Gruden can win a couple of more games this season and keep moving forward.

39 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Excellent post!  I share your outlook.  I think NFL progress incrementally and being a .500 team for 3 seasons is a huge positive.  I hope Gruden can win a couple of more games this season and keep moving forward.

What I like is that I feel we are now in that range with our roster and staff that going 11-5 doesn’t feel like it would be a miracle to me. I understand we haven’t done that since 1991, but THIS group hasn’t been here since 1991. I won’t project my own bartered-fan cynicism on them or what they are doing. Even though our actual titles in the FO remain annoyingly vague, by all accounts there is a legitimate chain of thought and guys in the room that people respect. 

No doubt if they breaks DON’T go our way we could dip as low as 6-10 or wind right back in that .500 position again. By no means do I think we are so loaded that we are somehow out of the woods in that regard. But I actually think it’s more likely this year that the Redskins win 10 games as opposed to winning 7 games. 

15 minutes ago, kleese said:

What I like is that I feel we are now in that range with our roster and staff that going 11-5 doesn’t feel like it would be a miracle to me. I understand we haven’t done that since 1991, but THIS group hasn’t been here since 1991. I won’t project my own bartered-fan cynicism on them or what they are doing. Even though our actual titles in the FO remain annoyingly vague, by all accounts there is a legitimate chain of thought and guys in the room that people respect. 

No doubt if they breaks DON’T go our way we could dip as low as 6-10 or wind right back in that .500 position again. By no means do I think we are so loaded that we are somehow out of the woods in that regard. But I actually think it’s more likely this year that the Redskins win 10 games as opposed to winning 7 games. 

Completely agree. I find it funny that people say under Sndyer we are stuck in mediocrity. Actually no, under Snyder we've been atrocious outside of a few miracle runs that sneak us into the playoffs only to come crashing back to terrible the next year. What we've done the past three years certainly isn't great, but it's new territory for the redskins under snyder's ownership. We have been consistently competitive on the whole the past three years. Hence our record. You have to go from bad to average, average to good, good to great in my opinion. I think it's a total fallacy that you can go from consistently terrible to consistently great in one season, it's a progression. And this is the year we break through in my opinion, too much talent across the board and a QB under center who has won a lot of games over the past 6-7 years. 

2 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Completely agree. I find it funny that people say under Sndyer we are stuck in mediocrity. Actually no, under Snyder we've been atrocious outside of a few miracle runs that sneak us into the playoffs only to come crashing back to terrible the next year. What we've done the past three years certainly isn't great, but it's new territory for the redskins under snyder's ownership. We have been consistently competitive on the whole the past three years. Hence our record. You have to go from bad to average, average to good, good to great in my opinion. I think it's a total fallacy that you can go from consistently terrible to consistently great in one season, it's a progression. And this is the year we break through in my opinion, too much talent across the board and a QB under center who has won a lot of games over the past 6-7 years. 

Great way to put it; for the first time under Snyder I feel there is liegitimate progression— as an organization as a whole. Our previous “highs” all kind of came out of nowhere and there were completely gone before we even knew what was going on. I mean in December of 2012 it looked like we might have as bright a future as any team in the NFL. By December 2013 we were the laughingstock of the league, roster in shambles, looking at a complete rebuild from the staff on down. 

We’ve spent three years in the 7-9 win range; something we have NOT done in the past. I understand that three middling seasons are hardly going to get the seats rocking at FedEx; however along the way I think we’ve seen some real strides in terms of continuity, draft philosophy/results, and our approach to team building in general. My hope is we catch some good luck this year and all of that comes together and we take that next step and get into the 10-11 win range. 

Hail ya..what a killer time of year..all good vibes now.. bounce around from thread to thread.. negative Nancy there positive Penelope here haha..1 positive..the kids are back to school and I'm a non smoker again lol one plus week with only having one and a half cigarettes.. I'm on my way!!.

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hail ya..what a killer time of year..all good vibes now.. bounce around from thread to thread.. negative Nancy there positive Penelope here haha..1 positive..the kids are back to school and I'm a non smoker again lol one plus week with only having one and a half cigarettes.. I'm on my way!!.

Rough time of the year to quit, but if I can do it, you can do it too!

Trust me, gets better after the first few months, and your lungs will thank you eventually! :) 

Journey to NFC Playoffs begins this weekend! HTTR   ✌️

On 8/31/2018 at 1:47 PM, Califan007 said:

I've been catching up this week with national shows/predictions.  I'll say this if they have a big season it will be fun to see most (not all but almost all) of these NFL pundits squirm.  Redskins are mostly either dissed as a bad team or dismissed as not being a serious contender.  Many more think they will be one of the bottom teams in the league let alone come near sniffing the playoffs.  This isn't by all but by most.  Now, I typically can deal with it -- but the Giants love at the same time drives me nuts.  Many seem to buy into the idea that injuries did them in in 2017 and between that and what they think was a killer off season, they will head to the playoffs this year some even predicting they win the division.

The good omen to all of that is it reminds me a lot of 2015.  Same kind of vibe.  Same inflated view of the Giants.  I recall back then Bayless/Smith actually seemed pissed when the Redskins clinched the division because they dismissed them all season long.  I recall D. Hall said that year they'd put up some of the newspaper clippings from that season dissing the team and they used as fuel for motivation.  I like this team more coming into the season with an edge like that.  So maybe its all a good omen. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

Rough time of the year to quit, but if I can do it, you can do it too!

Trust me, gets better after the first few months, and your lungs will thank you eventually! :) 

Journey to NFC Playoffs begins this weekend! HTTR   ✌️

Ahh your kids must have gone back to school too LOL..hahaha

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I prefer to be underestimated versus hyped, and I don't bother watching or listening to the fickle, talking heads anyway.   :) 

While I agree with both points, I’d love to become a dominant team that you expect to win each week.  Darn near impossible in this day and age, but man, those were the days.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

While I agree with both points, I’d love to become a dominant team that you expect to win each week.  Darn near impossible in this day and age, but man, those were the days.  

Man oh man! remember them days? teams were afraid to play us..I remember.. especially 91 season..all through the 80s..most of the 80s anyway haha.. defenses did not want to face that offensive line... D-backs feared "the posse' and of course no one wanted to play the diesel.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I think these days its the equivalent of becoming a team that gets the benefit of the doubt because they win almost every season but just to different degrees -- Steelers, Patriots, Packers, or to a lesser degree the Ravens, Seahawks (more recently), etc.   

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think these days its the equivalent of becoming a team that gets the benefit of the doubt because they win almost every season but just to different degrees -- Steelers, Patriots, Packers, or to a lesser degree the Ravens, Seahawks (more recently), etc.   

Shows a bit of officiating favoritism as well, if one dare think about it. I try every year to just enjoy the game, but deep down, I know there's some fishy stuff smelling up the League. :( 

Archived