Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three little Birds thread, It's gonna be aight. Good ju-ju thread

SWFLSkins

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

22 years. Good for you; I sure will.

I quit smoking 14 months ago, am finally over that addiction, and lungs glad for it. 

Congrats! That's a really tough one, glad you have been able to stay off them. I've heard quitting smoking is extremely difficult. :redskins-3908:

There are literally young guys popping up all over the place on this roster. Like every time I start thinking about the 53 I can't believe just how many of our players are now either drafted or UDFA. I think you're really starting to see the results of keeping the same coaching staff in place and drafting players that fit that scheme. Doesn't hurt that we seem to have some of the best positional coaches in the league. 

Cam Sims, I got my eye on you.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-good-sign-redskins-running-game

Things are looking better this year. In two preseason games, the Redskins have rushed for 216 yards. In the first halves of the games, they have 31 attempts for 109 yards. That’s not a great average (3.5 yards per carry) but it is a vast improvement on the sub-one yard per carrying average they had through two games last year. 

Let’s not get carried away here. Preseason numbers aren’t rock-solid indicators by any stretch and even if they were we are looking at a small sample size. Still, the preseason stats are what we have to look at right now. We will see how things develop.  

21 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

There are literally young guys popping up all over the place on this roster. Like every time I start thinking about the 53 I can't believe just how many of our players are now either drafted or UDFA. I think you're really starting to see the results of keeping the same coaching staff in place and drafting players that fit that scheme. Doesn't hurt that we seem to have some of the best positional coaches in the league. 

Cam Sims, I got my eye on you.

This may be the single over looked part of this team. I am definitely a Jay fan but despite what people contend, the HC cannot and does not do it all. In many ways they are more like a CEO in that they define the strategy and the direction. The assistant coaches are the ones who put in the game plans and work with the players to improve and to work together as a team. Callahan, Tomsula, Manusky, all previous HCs that could have decided to try that again or just stay out of football as opposed to being assistants. Instead they joined this staff as assistants. Also lost on some is that they all had other opportunities. They could have gone to many other teams in their current roles. especially Callahan and Tomsula. That does not even cover a guy like Torrian Grey who is quickly making a positive name for himself. 

As hard as I am on Bruce, he does not get enough credit for his part in bringing theses coaches here. While many of us have expressed our concerns about the FO, especially Bruce, the "they are here despite Bruce" really does not make sense. We may not like him being the boss, ultimately he is. And those guys seem to be OK with it, at least from the outside. And they are definitely showing signs of guys developing. 

I will go a step further. Many have not seen this team develop players while they have supported them. I truly believe that's why when players are not awesome right out of the gate they just give up on them and want them gone. Developing players takes patience. On a player by player basis it's not always successful. But it appears overall the teams patience has paid off. 

People will likely trash this example but it's valid - Ryan Grant. Many fans did not want him here from day one. And then when he slipped and we lost the Atl game, many could never go over that. However, the coaching staff stuck with him knowing you need a 4, 5 and 6 WR. Last yr he was 2nd in recs. 3rd in yds, and tied for 2nd in TDs. That netted a Redskins a comp draft pick after having the guy for his full rookie contract. While not spectacular, he was a low cost high effort guy who can make plays for you as a backup. Yes you need special players. I think we are getting those slowly but surely. But you need a good back-end of the roster to, especially with all the injuries. With Grant they developed him, used him and then got something tangible out of him. Not bad for 5th rd pick. That's just one example.  

Archived