Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

We've been down this road before but the FBS really needs at least an 8 team playoff format. That format would allow for a non power 5 team(s) to get in provided they had a magical season.

Who's to say UCF can't beat a Clemson (who had trouble with both Texas A&M and Syracuse)? Or are we saying that UCF is worse than those two also (which I have a hard time believing). 

Edit..and spare me the details about deciding teams 7 or 8 vs 9, 10, 11....we already do that with team 4 most years and we move on.

8 team, 5 autobids for the power 5 winners (all have championship games now, I believe). 3 at large bids with an autobid going to a non power 5 team that finishes in the top 8 of the playoff rankings. 

That would solve nearly all of my complaints. And yes, I know there would be years that a power 5 winner would be outside of the top 8 playoff rankings (bite me, who cares). ?

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

8 team, 5 autobids for the power 5 winners (all have championship games now, I believe). 3 at large bids with an autobid going to a non power 5 team that finishes in the top 8 of the playoff rankings. 

That would solve nearly all of my complaints. And yes, I know there would be years that a power 5 winner would be outside of the top 8 playoff rankings (bite me, who cares). ?

This would be my preference as well but it still needs to address how a non power five could get into the top 8.

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I get that argument and agree with it most years. But that 4 team playoff is still maddening (to me).

Honestly, you're a baby and would **** about a 32 team playoff.

I hate people who complain about the 4 team playoff.

When I was a kid, you got Michigan vs USC in the Rose Bowl every year and somehow BYU ended up national champs, because why not?

Dear, god, you people are whiny.

You got a year on me pops. Comparing college football from our youth to now is silly. We live in an age where voters aren't (or shouldn't be blind) to BYU or UCF. In 1983 or whenever, hardly anyone saw BYU play a game. They voted on record and scores.

FCS teams can do it (more than 4 team playoffs).

You're telling me we shouldn't expect the same out of much much much larger football programs?. 

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

You got a year on me pops. Comparing college football from our youth to now is silly. We live in an age where voters aren't (or shouldn't be blind) to BYU or UCF. In 1983 or whenever, hardly anyone saw BYU play a game. They voted on record and scores.

FCS teams can do it (more than 4 team playoffs).

You're telling me we shouldn't expect the same out of much much much larger football programs?. 

8 team playoff would be fine. You would **** endlessly about how, I dunno, Texas A&M is being hosed out of the 8 spot. So we would nee to go to 10 with first round byes.

People **** about bubble teams in the basketball tourney.

A 4-team playoff is a miracle, Your heart should be filled with joy.

I also find it funny that this is still going on in a year when you could have freaking UPI vote for #1 and everyone would agree that it's correct. I would love to go old-school this year and have all the bowl games on Jan 1 and then a vote for Alabama at the end of the day.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:16 AM, The Evil Genius said:

I remember when a small time FBS team with less than a decade of actual modern football history beat a top 25 big name ACC team.

It was 5 weeks ago. 

But Bama isn't losing unless Tua gets hurt (and even then Jalen Hurts is a capable starter) and/or they get crazy on offense with turnovers.

god damn you

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

ND has quasi -ACC affiliation and has special rules though, right? 

ND is in the ACC for all sports except football and hockey.  They have to play 5 ACC teams in football each year, they are free to pick which ones.  They do not have to play a full ACC slate and cannot play in the ACC Cship.  The rest of their schedule is almost always full of good teams like Michigan, or at least upper-half Power 5 teams like USC and Stanford, plus they tend to play a mix of good and ****ty ACC teams.  Point is, they are not in a power conference, but they get justified consideration for the playoff because they play a legitimate schedule.

UCF fans can complain all they want that they are forced to play a ****ty schedule due to their membership in the AAC, and that argument is true.  However, just because it is true doesn't mean that UCF should be treated as if they actually played a better schedule.  They didn't.  According to Sagarin, Notre Dame's strength of schedule is 45th.  Alabama is 60.  Clemson is 34.  LSU is 6.  Georgia is 28.  Michigan is 23.  Oklahoma is 36.  UCF is 125

Sagarin's rankings take into account SOS.  He has UCF ranked 29th.  

The BCS used to have a special ND rul where ND received an auto bid if they finished in the top 8. The playoff format now still treats ND like a power 5 team and them not scheduling FCS teams helps. Their quality win this year is over Michigan so them being behind them in some polls is silly. 

That said, **** ND. ?

Ironic that a manly man sport like football was once partially decided by a bunch of dweeb writers and now nerds and their algorithms help "pick" the champions.

A modest proposal. Let's play football year round. Fall is the "apertura" where you play your conference games plus a few non-cons. In the spring, we pick the best teams dozen teams to play in a "champions' league".

8 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Ironic that a manly man sport like football was once partially decided by a bunch of dweeb writers and now nerds and their algorithms help "pick" the champions.

A modest proposal. Let's play football year round. Fall is the "apertura" where you play your conference games plus a few non-cons. In the spring, we pick the best teams dozen teams to play in a "champions' league". 

So then you'd be okay with frequent leg amputations and 150 man rosters?  Me, I think that'd negatively impact the sport.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So then you'd be okay with frequent leg amputations

Only as a punishment for the losing team. They can pick any player on their roster.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

and 150 man rosters?  Me, I think that'd negatively impact the sport.

I guess they'll need 150 rosters if we institute the amputation rule

51 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

DJ Durkin loves this concept. 

Archived