Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

Probably going to be at least two one loss teams in the playoffs.  Ohio State still has a good shot at getting in because the Big 10 was strong this year.  Notre Dame could end up being the only undefeated team by the end of the year.  Their remaining schedule is pretty soft, they just need to avoid the stumble.  Clemson's is tougher, but not by much.

The SEC needs Alabama to lose to LSU or Georgia to get two teams in.  Or they need Clemson or Notre Dame to lose.

The winner of Michigan vs Ohio State has an inside track to the fourth playoff spot.  Looks like the Big 12 will get shut out unless Clemson loses twice, or the Big 10 and SEC completely fall apart.  And there is no way UCF makes it unless there is a bloodbath at the top of the rankings.  Nor should they get in, their schedule sucked and they almost lost to the only half decent team they've played so far.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This VT team sucks.  The program is headed in the wrong direction.

No. This team is YOUNG. Only 3 defensive players that played last year against GT. Think about the talent the team has lost on defense:

Settle

Stroman

Alexander

Facyson

Motuapoaka

Tre Edmunds

Ter Edmunds

Hill

8 starters. Walker, Floyd, Mahota. That’s it from last year on that side of the ball. Outside of Bama, ANY team that loses all of that is going to struggle. 

And losing Jackson was a blessing in disguise. I think Willis is a better QB. 

8 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

8 starters. Walker, Floyd, Mahota. That’s it from last year on that side of the ball. Outside of Bama, ANY team that loses all of that is going to struggle.  

Getting gashed for 8+ yards on almost every between the tackles run goes beyond lack of experience.  It shows they were lost, unprepared, and soft.

Tech is a perennial top 25 program.  No matter what kind of turnover you've had, a team with their pedigree should not lose by two touchdowns to that ODU team and three touchdowns to that Georgia Tech team (at home).  It's Fuente's third year and the program is going backwards.  They hired the wrong guy.  UVA hired the right one.

we knew this VT team was young but to expect them to totally lay down and show no fight against GT that was VERY disturbing. 

UVA now leads the Coastal and has a better record (5-2) than VT. Won't say the tide is turning in the state but that is concerning. 

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Getting gashed for 8+ yards on almost every between the tackles run goes beyond lack of experience.  It shows they were lost, unprepared, and soft.

Tech is a perennial top 25 program.  No matter what kind of turnover you've had, a team with their pedigree should not lose by two touchdowns to that ODU team and three touchdowns to that Georgia Tech team (at home).  It's Fuente's third year and the program is going backwards.  They hired the wrong guy.  UVA hired the right one.

Seems to be a tad exaggerated. This was always a rebuilding year because they lost so much. 

That being said Fuente still has never beaten GT. GT was also 3-4 :rofl89:

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Umm, it means they are playing freshmen and sophomores at key positions.  When you only have 3 starters returning, and your 2 deep is dominated by 1st and 2nd year players, you are not going to be the best team.  Winning 8 games was this team's ceiling before the season started.

And it's hilarious that you have decided after 2-1/2 years that Fuente is the wrong guy, but after 3-1/2 years of Mendenhall that he is the right guy. 3 full recruiting classes, and Mendenhall stated before the season started that his team had 27 ACC caliber players on the roster -out of 85.  Virginia Tech is still a better football program than UVA, even with all the blisters and warts.

42 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Umm, it means they are playing freshmen and sophomores at key positions.  When you only have 3 starters returning, and your 2 deep is dominated by 1st and 2nd year players, you are not going to be the best team.  Winning 8 games was this team's ceiling before the season started. 

And it's hilarious that you have decided after 2-1/2 years that Fuente is the wrong guy, but after 3-1/2 years of Mendenhall that he is the right guy. 3 full recruiting classes, and Mendenhall stated before the season started that his team had 27 ACC caliber players on the roster -out of 85.  Virginia Tech is still a better football program than UVA, even with all the blisters and warts. 

Going from 10 to 9 to 8 wins is going in the wrong direction.  The program is deteriorating under Fuente.  I don't care how young the team is, there is no excuse for getting waxed at home by a GT team who is not very good.  And even less excuse for getting waxed by an awful ODU team.  Those are canary in the coal mine losses.

This is Mendenhall's third season too BTW.  He inherited a shambolic UVA program that had nothing.  They're already passing VT by in year three.  This should be setting off the alarm for VT fans.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is Mendenhall's third season too BTW.  He inherited a shambolic UVA program that had nothing.  They're already passing VT by in year three.  This should be setting off the alarm for VT fans.

I'm sorry, they are passing VT by?  Based on???  Cause it ain't recruiting...

UVA has to play this same GT team in a couple weeks.  We'll see how well their vaunted ? defense holds up...

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

WVU vs PSU who wins? I think that'd be a fun bowl game. Regional implications.

Agree that it would be a fun bowl game.  I don't know what to think about PSU.  Almost beating Ohio State, but just barely eeking out a win over Indiana.  

My feelings about this WVU team will crystallize soon.  They still haven't had to put together 4 quarters of high quality football.  Yesterday they had the backups in by the end of the 3rd quarter and like a dozen underclassman played for the first time.  They get #6 Texas next week. 

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Agree that it would be a fun bowl game.  I don't know what to think about PSU.  Almost beating Ohio State, but just barely eeking out a win over Indiana.  

My feelings about this WVU team will crystallize soon.  They still haven't had to put together 4 quarters of high quality football.  Yesterday they had the backups in by the end of the 3rd quarter and like a dozen underclassman played for the first time.  They get #6 Texas next week. 

PSU has some talented players but a lot are young—I think only one senior on each side of the ball and very few returning starters. They keep making mistakes that would've closed out both losses as well some of the close wins. The play calling has been shaky at times. In my mind, it was a 2-3 loss season so things are on schedule.

46 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

PSU has some talented players but a lot are young—I think only one senior on each side of the ball and very few returning starters. They keep making mistakes that would've closed out both losses as well some of the close wins. The play calling has been shaky at times. In my mind, it was a 2-3 loss season so things are on schedule.

WVU does a handful of things REALLY well, which is enough to cover up some deficiencies in other areas.  Namely, our QB and pass catchers are elite and our defense is fast and rallies to the ball well.  On offense, the passing offense covers up an average interior offensive line and average RBs.  On defense, the speed is there because we are undersized.  We've also started the season thin at LB and have lost 4 LBs to injury, so we are using safeties at LB, which isn't good for either position group (and we use 3 LBs and 3 safeties as our base defense).  Helpfully, the passing offense also puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses to both score to keep up and hold onto the ball so the opposing defense doesn't get run ragged.  

Last night Grier had 353 yards and 3 TDs in 3 quarters and on only 17 completions.  

Archived