Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

#4 Coney is a ****ing beast.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone slip one of his tackles or even drag him for some forward progress.

I would love to get Coney on the Redskins.  He's the perfect MIKE.

These Notre Dame backs and receivers sure can get open but they can't make guys miss in the open field.  I've never seen less wiggle in a group of skill position players.  So far they're completely outclassing VT but I have my doubts about their ability to hang with the good SEC teams.

29 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Is Bud Foster washed up?  

I mean I can count on his defense folding like an accordion against a top 10 team, but when you also factor in the ODU loss, I have to wonder.

This defense is extremely young and inexperienced but yes, his mystique is gone. He’s really good for sure and he never has the talent of top programs but his defenses will always fold in a big spot 

It’s the same story as the rest of VT. At some point they just have to beat a more talented team. It happens every week in college football, a scrappy underdog with half the talent and resources steps up and knocks off a big team or a highly ranked team. 

It never happens for VT. I get it. VT has 14 4 stars and ND has 43. Talent matters. Would be nice to pull an upset once tho. 

The VT defense is well coached.  You can see it in the way they tackle and pass rush.  But they are inexperienced and thinned out in the secondary and they are not big and their talent from last season got decimated by NFL attrition.

I actually don't think the talent discrepancy with Notre Dame was as big as expected.  ND looked slow and only capable of one cuts and downhill running.  I can't count the number of time a VT defender was able to bring down a ND ball carrier in the open field without any drama and any forward progress surrendered.  They were just getting torched from coverage breakdowns and gap control failures.  VT should have gotten blown out way earlier in the game given the kind of mistakes they continuously made.  It's an undisciplined and sloppy team.  But Notre Dame's offense made a lot of mistakes too.

I think Notre Dame's defensive front is as good as advertised.  But their offense is not good. Kelly runs an impressive scheme but their talent on that side of the ball is not on par with the talent that Clemson, Ohio State Georgia, and Alabama have.  Notre Dame is a pretender.

Well, the atmosphere was INSANE and the first quarter is the loudest I have ever heard ANY sporting event, even Caps games inside.  Notre Dame is good, but the Hokies left about 13 points on the field (penalty costing a TD, 1 yard line not getting in, and the turf monster getting Floyd), 19 if you count FGs wide left. Had a blast, weather was good, and seats were great. 

Here are are a few pics (last one is for my daughter). 

88CCE47B-7524-4D24-96F4-99636CD3273C.jpeg

6712B383-567D-4DD2-87B7-1FEB8525624E.jpeg

DDF08CF6-F228-48B2-9D2B-FA42DD5CBB02.jpeg

18C16594-C50A-4DFB-83F9-014E07C97699.jpeg

4F70F194-C794-4DD4-9049-99D0673E41C7.jpeg

Nice pics. Really thought you guys had a chance but man is that D thin. Too many early (on purpose and unexpected) exits I guess?

Hate seeing ND undefeated with basically no one left on their schedule. Their fan base is like the Cowboys fan base. Still acting like they are relevant even though they haven't won anything in 25+ years. ?

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Notre Dame’s academic standards are much, much, much higher than Virginia Tech’s.

Except for athletes.  Those are governed by the NCAA initial requirements rules.

ND requires athletes:

Full-Time Status:
Student-athletes must be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading toward a baccalaureate degree, defined as 12 credit hours per semester. Student-athletes that have already received a baccalaureate degree must be enrolled in either 12 credit hours leading toward a second baccalaureate degree or 9 credit hours leading toward a graduate degree.

6 Hour Requirement:
Student-athletes must pass at least six hours each semester in order to be eligible to compete during the following semester.

Progress Toward Degree
In order to be academically eligible, student-athletes must satisfactorily complete 24 semester hours at the University prior to the start of the institution's third semester following the student-athlete's initial, full-time enrollment.

In addition, the student-athlete must complete 18 credit hours in the two regular semesters (i.e., fall and spring) since the beginning of the institution's previous fall term. For student-athletes entering at mid-year or student-athletes that have been granted an exception, the 18 hours must have been earned in the student-athlete's previous two semesters.

Furthermore, a student-athlete must declare a major prior to his/her fifth semester of collegiate enrollment and make progress toward that specific degree as follows:

(4) 40% of degree requirements must be completed before the fifth semester of enrollment (excluding summer)
      (5) 60% of degree requirements must be completed before the seventh semester of enrollment (excluding summer)
      (6) 80% of degree requirements must be completed before the ninth semester of enrollment (excluding summer) 

University policy states that all continuing undergraduate students are required to maintain a term grade-point average of at least 2.0. A student-athlete who fails to meet the minimum GPA requirements will be placed on probation.

Freshmen

Pass 6 credits
1.7 GPA

Pass 6 credits
Pass 18 credits (fall & spring combined)
1.85 GPA
Pass 24 credits (fall, spring, summer combined)
Sophomore Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
Declare Major
40% of credits earned toward declared major
Junior Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
60% of credits earned toward declared major
Senior Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
Pass 6 credits
2.0 GPA
80% of credits earned toward declared major

VT requires athletes:

To maintain eligibility, a student-athlete must:

• Maintain a full-time schedule (at least 12 credits) at all times;
  • Pass at least six (6) credit hours per semester.  In the sport of football, a student-athlete must pass nine (9) credit hours and earn the Academic Progress Rate (APR) eligibility point during the fall semester;
  • Pass at least 18 credit hours each academic year; and
  • -Entering 3rd semester of enrollment, a student-athlete must meet the following percentage of degree and/or GPA requirements:
    • -Prior to 3rd semester- maintain at least a 1.8 overall GPA
    • -Prior to 5th semester- meet 40% completion of degree and maintain at least a 1.9 overall GPA
    • -Prior to 7th semester- meet 60% completion of degree and maintain at least 2.0 overall GPA
    • -Prior to 9th semester- meet 80% completion of degree and maintain at least 2.0 overall GPA 

So, explain:

Notre Dame’s academic standards are much, much, much higher than Virginia Tech’s.

Looks to me like ND requires their student athletes to maintain a 0.01 higher GPA during their sophomore year.

Because, we are talking about football here, not the overall university, right. So you want to compare apples to apples.

------------------------------------

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Nice pics. Really thought you guys had a chance but man is that D thin. Too many early (on purpose and unexpected) exits I guess?

Hate seeing ND undefeated with basically no one left on their schedule. Their fan base is like the Cowboys fan base. Still acting like they are relevant even though they haven't won anything in 25+ years. ?

Yeah, the secondary being young and small really limits how creative Foster can be. They could really only rush 4 all night.  Would have been good enough if Floyd doesn't trip, the 2 FGs are TDs instead, and the kicker hits the 2 missed FGs...

Grier cannot play the way he did this past Saturday and get a win on the road. Yeah he threw 4tds and had 300+ yards again but he should have had 6 TDS...3 ints and a fumble cannot win most games.

If he does clean it up, November is going to be fun for WVU. Plus they might have seen the future at RB for them. True frosh Leddie Brown looks like a beast.

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Grier cannot play the way he did this past Saturday and get a win on the road. Yeah he threw 4tds and had 300+ yards again but he should have had 6 TDS...3 ints and a fumble cannot win most games.

If he does clean it up, November is going to be fun for WVU. Plus they might have seen the future at RB for them. True frosh Leddie Brown looks like a beast.

Grier and the WRs are going to have to carry the team.  Although the defense has played well, they are thin and already starting a safety at OLB and down to 3 cornerbacks who have any business playing.  The offense has yet to put a complete game together and the season is half over.  It's also a really good thing that we are good in the redzone b/c our kicker is not good.  

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

You know who are fans of ND? People whose actual college sucks balls and/or didn't have a college to root for.

When your student population is less than 9k a year, the fanbase shouldn't actually be as large as it is.

And whose formative years were before 1995.  

Archived