Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

US forest service worker arrested over planned Oregon burn

A U.S. Forest Service employee in Oregon was arrested this week by a county sheriff after a planned burn in a national forest spread onto private land.

It was the latest episode that underscores simmering tensions over management of federal lands in rural, conservative eastern Oregon. That tension exploded into the 2016 takeover by armed right-wing extremists of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, 300 miles (480 kilometers) southeast of Portland. One of the extremist leaders was killed by law enforcement officers at a roadblock.

Rick Snodgrass, the U.S. Forest Service “burn boss,” was arrested Wednesday and transported to the Grant County Jail, where he was conditionally released, District Attorney Jim Carpenter said in a statement.

Carpenter warned that Snodgrass’ federal employment “will not protect him if it is determined that he acted recklessly.”

“That the USFS was engaging in a prescribed burn may actually raise, rather than lower the standard to which Snodgrass will be held,” the prosecutor said.

Prescribed burns are set intentionally and under carefully controlled conditions to clear underbrush, pine needle beds and other surface fuels that make forests more prone to wildfires.

Grant County Sheriff Todd McKinley said in a statement that the controlled burn escaped U.S. Forest Service lands on a hot day Wednesday and burned about 20 acres (8 hectares) of land belonging to Holiday Ranches.

McKinley's initial investigation led the sheriff to believe he had probable cause to arrest Snodgrass, who supervised the planned burn, for reckless burning, Carpenter said.

“This case will be evaluated once the investigation is complete, and if appropriate, Snodgrass will formally be charged," McKinley said.

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 months later...

PG&E to be arraigned on involuntary manslaughter charges over Zogg fire

Pacific Gas & Electric Co. will go to trial on involuntary manslaughter and other charges stemming from the deadly 2020 Zogg wildfire in California, according to the Shasta County District Attorney's Office.

PG&E will be arraigned Feb. 15.

1 minute ago, China said:

PG&E to be arraigned on involuntary manslaughter charges over Zogg fire

Pacific Gas & Electric Co. will go to trial on involuntary manslaughter and other charges stemming from the deadly 2020 Zogg wildfire in California, according to the Shasta County District Attorney's Office.

PG&E will be arraigned Feb. 15.

Like convicting "The Nazi Party" for World War 2.  Name and charge the CEO and other folks responsible for bad decision making. 

• 4 months later...

Air quality levels in parts of the U.S. plunge as Canada wildfires rage

Millions of people in the eastern United States faced unhealthy air quality conditions on Tuesday, as smoke from wildfires in eastern Canada wafts over much of the country.

An air quality advisory was in effect for several regions of New York state on Tuesday. Air monitoring stations on Tuesday afternoon in some parts of New York City showed measures considered unhealthy for anyone.

New York City ranked seventh among major cities for the worst air quality worldwide as of around 6 p.m., according to IQAir, a Swiss air monitoring company.

"Try to limit your outdoor activities today to the absolute necessities," the city's mayor, Eric Adams, advised on Twitter to anyone with breathing issues.

It marked the second day of hazy skies across a wide swath of the country. Smoke blanketed the landscape from the Ohio Valley to as far south as the Carolinas on Monday. Air quality advisories were in effect Monday in southeastern Minnesota and parts of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, as well as in more than 60 counties in Wisconsin on Monday.

It reminds me a little bit of Beijing when I went there 16 years ago.  Haze and a bit of taste/smell to the air.  But Beijing was worse; the first thing you noticed getting off the plane was that the air had a taste.

Also, not as bad as when we were at Crater Lake a few years ago when they were having fires, and you couldn't see across the lake and the sun was a reddish orange color like sunset except in the middle of the day.

34 minutes ago, China said:

It reminds me a little bit of Beijing when I went there 16 years ago.  Haze and a bit of taste/smell to the air.  But Beijing was worse; the first thing you noticed getting off the plane was that the air had a taste.

Also, not as bad as when we were at Crater Lake a few years ago when they were having fires, and you couldn't see across the lake and the sun was a reddish orange color like sunset except in the middle of the day.

We went to Shanghai a number of years ago and it was bad.  Heard Beijing was worse though.  What DC looks like today is a normal day there.

• Sad 1

**** I work Friday outdoors you better get that smoke **** under control Canada 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We went to Shanghai a number of years ago and it was bad.  Heard Beijing was worse though.  What DC looks like today is a normal day there.

Oh the smoke in Shanghai is terrible. All the Chinese modernization leads to harsh environmental effects. Not just there too. Beijing etc. Sometimes the government shuts factories down for a while to prevent pollution I think they did that for the Olympics. 

1 hour ago, China said:

Meanwhile in NYC...

My son was flying out of NYC to Japan today.  I haven't heard from him, so I assume his flight took of OK.

man that picture is really something.  Looks like New York got dropped into a pint of beer.

Been there done that with the wildfire smoke and I don't wish that on anyone. I sympathize with anyone living through that mess. I got hard headed a couple of years ago and decided to work through it a couple of times. Bad idea. Gave me a case of bronchitis that lasted a month. Dumbass me. Hopefully it goes away soon.