Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey going on IR

WallyG3

Originally posted by bayougator

I'm ok with the desision. The only thing that Pisses me off is that they are saying it is Pat's decision to do this. Like he's ending his season. It is a office and medical decision. If it was up to him he would be on the field right now!

Yea, but Pat needs to realize that he's young and has a whole career ahead of him. Whoever made the decision, it was the right one, one that should have been made a week ago. I just hope everything goes okay and he comes back ready to play next year.

Bayou, tell your brother congratulations on a valiant season. He's shown so much this year, in less than two years of play, that I predicted in another thread this week that he will have a Pro Bowl year next year. It makes sense to let him sit and heal up, observe, then come back next year ready to roar. . .

I have no doubt that Pat wants to be in there, but this is the best thing for Ramsey and the team at this point. We need Pat to be totally healthy next year. Don't forget how much he improved last time he spent some time on the bench. A few weeks watching and learning from the sideline might actually help him more than if he was playing right now. Hasselback can gain some valuable experience playing these last few games which are basically meaningless anyways. Ramsey will come back with a vengence next year and light up the league.

(by the way, Symbol: I don't think the play calling, or pass playcalling as been any different under Hasselbeck than under Ramsey, Hasselbeck simply doesn't wait for the plays to open up down the field, and he almost always will take the underneath guy. Probably for a number of reasons, namely he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball down the field.)

Sounds an awful lot like Stain Matthews to me.

How ironic. We finally get some weapons to go deep on offense, and our :pooh: offensive system/coaching won't allow them to be used. Go figure:mad:

Oh, BTW Bayougator. Tell Pat to get well soon, study hard and get ready to kick some major :moon: next season.

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

Here's the ESPN link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1681361

Here is the article...

Monday, December 8, 2003

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Patrick Ramsey is done for the season.

The Washington Redskins quarterback said Monday he will have surgery on his troublesome right foot within the next two weeks -- a frustrating end to his first year as an NFL starter.

"We just really felt like it wasn't going to get better by the end of the season," Ramsey said after meeting with a team doctor.

The team placed Ramsey on injured reserve Monday.

Ramsey has been bothered by the flareup of an old fracture on the right edge of his foot. The injury's origins are unknown, but it first became a problem during training camp and was aggravated in the last few weeks.

"It was two different Patricks," said quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise, who noticed the injury affecting Ramsey's play as early as the sixth week of the season. "Once his foot started bothering him, he wasn't nearly as effective.

"His inability to use his right foot for pushing off or moving around, it made him change his mechanics to where he was using his body too much to throw. Anybody who's ever played quarterback will tell you when you do that, you tend to be a lot more inaccurate."

Ramsey has barely practiced for three weeks because of the soreness. He started the Nov. 23 game against Miami, but left early with a mild concussion, then sat out the last two games against New Orleans and the New York Giants.

After wearing a cast for a few days, Ramsey tried to practice last week, but he reinjured the foot and had to leave early. That's when he knew he was probably done.

"I understood that might be a reality when I slipped last week and it hurt that badly," Ramsey said. "In a game-type situation, more than that's going to happen."

Ramsey's season ends because of an ailment that has nothing to do with the pounding he took. The second-year player from Tulane who was sacked 30 times won rave reviews for playing despite injuries to his shoulder, arm and little finger.

"It's frustrating, it really is, but there's nothing I can do about it, just try to make the best of the situation," Ramsey said. "I want to compete, and that's all I'm ever going to want to do."

By having surgery now, Ramsey gets a head start on his rehabilitation. He won't be able to run for 10 weeks after the operation, a timetable that would have him back on the field in time for next spring's minicamps.

In 11 starts, Ramsey completed 179 of 337 passes with 14 touchdowns and nine interceptions and a 75.8 rating.

"I saw things better out there," Ramsey said. "I saw the field better. Mechanically, I was kind of inhibited, but at the same time I saw things mentally well.

"I'll never be pleased. I feel like I improved, but I feel like I can improve even more."

With Ramsey out, midseason pickup Tim Hasselbeck will start the remaining three games. Hasselbeck got his first NFL victory Sunday, completing 13 of 19 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns in a 20-7 victory over the Giants.

PR seemed to be thinking too much. In his first game, he just got out there and did his thing. I think Hasselback still is in the phase were he's just playing his game.

If PR can learn to move around in the pocket similar to Brad Johnson (maybe PR needs to play some B-Ball during the offeseason but nothing to rough), he'll be a real killer.

Hasselbeck also got groomed in Reid's *very* quick release system, rather than always looking for the deep toss. PR has been coached to look deep rather than short, which works great sometimes, and gets him flattened in others..

-s

Its a good move to do this.

Though I'm really gonna miss seeing him play......now we have to wait till next year! I was hoping maybe he'd all the sudden get better and be ready to go kick the **** outta Dallas, but i guess things dont happen like that.

I really cant wait to see him next year, he's gonna torch people!!!

The last pass for him this year kinda resembled the whole season, him being grabbed around the throat, waist, and legs, bent over backwards, and he made a perfect throw to the side of the endzone. But Flemister dropped it.

I admit I haven't seen a whole lot of the plays Ramsey and Hasselbeck have run, but I don't buy the argument that "the playcalling's been the same." Spurrier himself said on redskins.com today that most of the passes he's calling now call for a quick throw, and that they've gone away from the 7-step drops. Now this is no knock on Hasselbeck who's performed well, and I'm also not saying that the system hasn't been evolving even when Ramsey was in there. I'm just saying that the sentiment that "Tim's running the same system better than Ramsey did" is from my perspective false. It's apples and oranges, at least in terms of what the QB's being asked to do. End of mini-rant.

Originally posted by Skins26

Its a good move to do this.

Though I'm really gonna miss seeing him play......now we have to wait till next year! I was hoping maybe he'd all the sudden get better and be ready to go kick the **** outta Dallas, but i guess things dont happen like that.

I really cant wait to see him next year, he's gonna torch people!!!

The last pass for him this year kinda resembled the whole season, him being grabbed around the throat, waist, and legs, bent over backwards, and he made a perfect throw to the side of the endzone. But Flemister dropped it.

The lesson learned is that you don't protect your QB, you won't finish the year with him, and your chances of reaching the post-season are slim. To be blunt, we were lucky he made it past mid-year with the beatings he was taking. I don't know if our improved protection of late is a reflection on Hasselback getting rid of it more consistently, improved line play, or just a result of playing meaningless games. But we'd better shore up the O-line in the off-season (and fix Samuels mental focus) or we'll never have Patrick for an entire year.

Nice move and thank god

Hasslebeck was on WCO teams so he is used to making quick reads and releases and he throws to a spot he expects the receiver to go to while there are times ramsey waits til the WR is almost at the spot and rifles the ball to the spot

Still this time off helps him more than hurts him.

Hasslebeck performing with fewer reps means that ramsey should have similar success with making small adjustments in his game

Archived