Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey going on IR

WallyG3

Originally posted by ktball74

I think Hasselback can handle the blitz better then Ramsey.

The blitz is almost non-existant for Hassleback, because Spurrier calls a more conservative system for him. We won yesturday morning's game against the Giants because we ran the ball 40 times, we lost to the Aints because we threw the ball 40 times.

You can't blitz the QB when you're afraid of the run getting past your blitzers for a long game.

While I would agree that putting Ramsey on IR would be wise to let him heal, him not getting the snaps will hurt him.

Hopefully next year he'll come out and show that he has learned something from this year.

If the Hasselbeck starting experiment showed anything, it's what getting rid of the football quickly can do for you. How many sacks has he taken compared to Ramsey?

No one doubts Ramsey's potential, but until he learned to dump the ball off quickly when need be, he'll never be successful, and he'll be taking a beating week after bloody week.

(by the way, Symbol: I don't think the play calling, or pass playcalling as been any different under Hasselbeck than under Ramsey, Hasselbeck simply doesn't wait for the plays to open up down the field, and he almost always will take the underneath guy. Probably for a number of reasons, namely he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball down the field.)

Originally posted by Symbol

The blitz is almost non-existant for Hassleback, because Spurrier calls a more conservative system for him. We won yesturday morning's game against the Giants because we ran the ball 40 times, we lost to the Aints because we threw the ball 40 times.

You can't blitz the QB when you're afraid of the run getting past your blitzers for a long game.

It's more than simply running the ball. They ran more yesterday in large part because of the weather at Giants Stadium than because Tim was in the game. And our loss to the Aints had a bit more to do with the defensive scheme and the lack of some players stepping up and not making mistakes.

Hasselback has a much quicker release, and seems to read the defense better than Ramsey at this point. He also has better ‘in-pocket’ mobility. The OL also seems to have put a bit of consistency together.

Not sure how Ramsey is the key to beating Dallas – if that were the case, we should not have lost to them earlier in the year when the Cowgirls were begging us to take the win. This game is going to come down to the defense stepping up, and forcing Carter into mistake mode.

I think the Dallas D will come after Hasselback, but not the way they came after Ramsey.

Speaking of blitzes – have the Redskins run a corner blitz this year?

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

While I would agree that putting Ramsey on IR would be wise to let him heal, him not getting the snaps will hurt him.

You're kidding right?

This will probably help him.

He's has taken a TON of snaps for the past year. From last season, all offseason, all training camp, preseason, and the 9 or whatever games this season. If we're thinking about his long term health, that's plenty, if not too much. You're trying to wear the guy out? I would have loved to see him finish out, but him not getting the snaps will not hurt him one bit.

Good move. Sorry it had to come to this, but it's the best long-term decision. Besides, if the foot hurts after slipping on a dirt patch in practice, imagine how bad it would feel getting stepped on and wrenched by Roy Williams, or Brian Urlacher, or Cory Simon.

No, I'm not kidding.

He's a young kid who needs all the snaps he can get. The more he sees from defenses the more he can learn. It's up to him to take advantage of this year as far as learning is concerned.

To me, nothing is too much. I am sure that many starting QBs in this league would tell you that they are still learning how to read defenses, even if they are 10 year vets.

But again, I agree with putting him on IR.

Originally posted by Phat Hog

Hasselback has a much quicker release, and seems to read the defense better than Ramsey at this point. He also has better ‘in-pocket’ mobility. The OL also seems to have put a bit of consistency together.

That is simply not true. Hasselbeck tends to get rid of the ball more quickly, but he most certainly does NOT have a quicker release. It's not particularly close, either. Ramsey has a very, very quick release. He just holds on to the ball too long, trying to let plays develop down the field.

Ramsey is going to be a great quarteback if we don't get him killed. This is the best thing for him. It will keep him safe until we can get him an offensive line. Remember this is only his 2nd year. He still has a long career (hopefully) ahead of him. He has shown a willingness to put in as many hours as necessary to continue to improve.

Archived