China

Uplifting Stories Thread

On 9/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, MisterPinstripe said:

Major props to UT. Its amazing what they did for that kid. Heck I was tearing up when I saw the shirt they created from his design.

I cried (almost uncontrollably) when I told my husband about it. Now I'll go through it again with the update. 🙂

Props to folks who look out for pets too. 😻🐶

Cheering dad supporting York High making national headlines with his cheer moves

YORKTOWN, Va. - A local dad has made national headlines for his cheer moves at his daughter’s high school's football games.

News 3 met up with the two on Thursday. 

Father Hekili Holland can be spotted in the stands at York High School during football games, following along with the cheerleaders.

Scott Willard recently took video of his cheer moves, and the clip has gone viral.

On Facebook, Willard posted, "This guy right here needs to go viral. By far CHEER DAD OF THE YEAR!!!!!! This dude rocks!!!! GO YORK FALCONS!!!!

Click on the link for the full article

Golfer forgives fan with Down syndrome who yelled during crucial shot

Professional golfer Brandon Matthews was locked in a sudden-death playoff at a tournament in Argentina on Sunday when he heard a yelp from the gallery in the middle of a crucial putt.

Matthews, 25, was distracted by the sound and missed the 8-foot birdie putt, which cost him the Visa Open de Argentina title in Buenos Aires — and the exemption to play in next year's British Open that comes with it.

"I thought someone had done it intentionally,'' he told GolfChannel.com. "I was frustrated. Really, I was in shock that that just happened."

The tournament director later apologized for the outburst during the missed putt, which allowed Colombian golfer Ricardo Celia to clinch the victory. He then told Matthews the sound came from a fan with Down syndrome who had gotten excited.

The Pennsylvania native immediately forgot about the frustrating loss and asked to meet the fan.

Once the two were brought together, the missed putt seemed like a distant memory, as Matthews gave the unidentified man a big hug and signed a glove for him.

EJqqZeBWwAARxmZ?format=jpg&name=360x360EJqqaUgWkAAPI1S?format=jpg&name=360x360

"I gave him a hug and I asked him, 'Hey, are you doing OK? Are you having fun?''' Matthews said. "I just wanted to make sure he was enjoying himself, that he had no hard feelings, that he didn’t feel bad about what happened.

"I didn’t want anyone to be mad at him. I didn’t want him to be mad at himself. I wanted to make sure he knew that I wasn’t mad. That’s all I wanted to do."

• Like 1

A couple surprised their Denny's waitress who walked hours to work with a new car

While it doesn't have much to do with Turkey, a waitress at a Denny's restaurant in Galveston, Texas, has a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Almost every day, Adrianna Edwards walks over four hours to and from work.

"I have bills to pay," Edwards told CNN affiliate KTRK. "I've got to eat. You've got to do what you've got to do."

But her walking days are finally over.

A couple she served at the restaurant on Tuesday bought her a new car -- just hours after they'd met.

Edwards can now start college earlier than she thought.

The couple, who wanted to remain anonymous, were at Denny's for breakfast when they found out that Edwards was walking 14 miles just to get to her job and go back home.

The waitress, who was saving up money to buy a car to free herself from the long trek, gave the woman extra ice cream. But what she got in return was much sweeter.

The Texas couple finished their meal, left the restaurant, and came back with a 2011 Nissan Sentra and handed Edwards the keys. This car will turn what was a five hour walk into a 30 minute commute.

"She teared up, which made me happy that she was so moved by that," the woman who bought Edwards the car told KTRK.

All the couple asked in return for the car was for Edwards to simply pay the good deed forward. And that's exactly what she aims to do.

• Like 1

I geeked over that yesterday when I saw the commercial. I was 7 when ET hit so that movie will always have a sentimental attachment.

Back on topic..Sia doing Sia things. Incredible (and odd) singer...doing cool stuff Wednesday.

• Like 1

A local, family owned hardware store spent $130 to film a commercial for Christmas, featuring the owner's son and other family.

It's become a worldwide hit.  It got me.

BTW, most of the 130 bucks was used for permission to use the cover version of the song "Forever Young," by American singer-songwriter Andrea von Kampen. 

Andrea-Von-Kampen.png?fit=348,290&ssl=1

Here's that cover:

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

A local, family owned hardware store spent $130 to film a commercial for Christmas, featuring the owner's son and other family.

It's become a worldwide hit.  It got me.

Man, that got me as well. Snuck up on me. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1