Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uplifting Stories Thread

China

On 9/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, MisterPinstripe said:

Major props to UT. Its amazing what they did for that kid. Heck I was tearing up when I saw the shirt they created from his design.

I cried (almost uncontrollably) when I told my husband about it. Now I'll go through it again with the update. 🙂

Props to folks who look out for pets too. 😻🐶

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheering dad supporting York High making national headlines with his cheer moves

YORKTOWN, Va. - A local dad has made national headlines for his cheer moves at his daughter’s high school's football games.

News 3 met up with the two on Thursday. 

Father Hekili Holland can be spotted in the stands at York High School during football games, following along with the cheerleaders.

Scott Willard recently took video of his cheer moves, and the clip has gone viral.

On Facebook, Willard posted, "This guy right here needs to go viral. By far CHEER DAD OF THE YEAR!!!!!! This dude rocks!!!! GO YORK FALCONS!!!!

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

Golfer forgives fan with Down syndrome who yelled during crucial shot

Professional golfer Brandon Matthews was locked in a sudden-death playoff at a tournament in Argentina on Sunday when he heard a yelp from the gallery in the middle of a crucial putt.

Matthews, 25, was distracted by the sound and missed the 8-foot birdie putt, which cost him the Visa Open de Argentina title in Buenos Aires — and the exemption to play in next year's British Open that comes with it.

"I thought someone had done it intentionally,'' he told GolfChannel.com. "I was frustrated. Really, I was in shock that that just happened."

The tournament director later apologized for the outburst during the missed putt, which allowed Colombian golfer Ricardo Celia to clinch the victory. He then told Matthews the sound came from a fan with Down syndrome who had gotten excited.

The Pennsylvania native immediately forgot about the frustrating loss and asked to meet the fan.

Once the two were brought together, the missed putt seemed like a distant memory, as Matthews gave the unidentified man a big hug and signed a glove for him.

EJqqZeBWwAARxmZ?format=jpg&name=360x360EJqqaUgWkAAPI1S?format=jpg&name=360x360

"I gave him a hug and I asked him, 'Hey, are you doing OK? Are you having fun?''' Matthews said. "I just wanted to make sure he was enjoying himself, that he had no hard feelings, that he didn’t feel bad about what happened.

"I didn’t want anyone to be mad at him. I didn’t want him to be mad at himself. I wanted to make sure he knew that I wasn’t mad. That’s all I wanted to do."

• Like 1

A couple surprised their Denny's waitress who walked hours to work with a new car

While it doesn't have much to do with Turkey, a waitress at a Denny's restaurant in Galveston, Texas, has a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Almost every day, Adrianna Edwards walks over four hours to and from work.

"I have bills to pay," Edwards told CNN affiliate KTRK. "I've got to eat. You've got to do what you've got to do."

But her walking days are finally over.

A couple she served at the restaurant on Tuesday bought her a new car -- just hours after they'd met.

Edwards can now start college earlier than she thought.

The couple, who wanted to remain anonymous, were at Denny's for breakfast when they found out that Edwards was walking 14 miles just to get to her job and go back home.

The waitress, who was saving up money to buy a car to free herself from the long trek, gave the woman extra ice cream. But what she got in return was much sweeter.

The Texas couple finished their meal, left the restaurant, and came back with a 2011 Nissan Sentra and handed Edwards the keys. This car will turn what was a five hour walk into a 30 minute commute.

"She teared up, which made me happy that she was so moved by that," the woman who bought Edwards the car told KTRK.

All the couple asked in return for the car was for Edwards to simply pay the good deed forward. And that's exactly what she aims to do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

A local, family owned hardware store spent $130 to film a commercial for Christmas, featuring the owner's son and other family.

It's become a worldwide hit.  It got me.

Man, that got me as well. Snuck up on me. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Girls in War Zone Find Their Power On Skateboards; Documentary About Them Takes Home the Oscar (Watch)

In Afghanistan, it’s considered offensive and taboo for women to ride bicycles—but one nonprofit has given these girls a different kind of fun on wheels.

Skateistan is an organization that uses skateboarding to helps to empower marginalized youth and rescue them from the streets so they can be transitioned into a community that will teach them about leadership and independence.

Learning To Skateboard In A Warzone (If You’re a Girl)—a short film documentary about the organization’s mission in Afghanistan—recently brought Skateistan back into national headlines after it won the 2020 Academy Award for Best Short Film this week, although the nonprofit has been changing lives since 2007.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Retired Miami-Dade firefighter, WWII vet is turning 93. He just finished his 4th Spartan Race

(WSVN) - A retired South Florida firefighter is proving that age is truly just a number. With perseverance and support, there are “No Obstacles.” 7’s Brian Entin has tonight’s special report.

Obstacle course races are extreme tests of physical endurance. They can be a challenge at any age.

Let alone at this age.

Richard “Monty” Montgomery: “If they knew I was 93, but since I only look 25.”

Richard Montgomery, who goes by Monty, will be celebrating his 93rd birthday Monday.

Last month in Jacksonville, at the chipper age of 92, he ran his fourth Spartan Race.

The three-mile, 20-obstacle trek sent Monty…

-Jumping over smoldering fire.
-Dunking himself in a dirty, water pit to get under a barrier.
-Crawling on his hands and knees below barbed wire.
-Amazingly, pulling himself up a mud-slicked wall.

Monty Montgomery: “I’m thinking, ‘I hope to hell I can make it up here.'”

At this point you might be asking: Why?

Monty has a simple answer.

Monty Montgomery: “To see if I could do it. That’s all. It was a challenge. And I kind of like challenges.”

Monty has been challenging himself his whole life.

The World War II vet joined the army in 1945. He later spent 32 years as a Miami-Dade firefighter.

Monty Montgomery: “I enjoyed every day being a firefighter. I think it’s the greatest job in the world. I was the oldest man in the fire department when I left. I was 68.”

It’s his commitment to service that brings Monty back to the race course.

Please clear the way for Operation Enduring Warrior!

Running with Monty were athletes from Operation Enduring Warrior, who help wounded veterans and law enforcement officers complete challenges.

They wear masks to keep the focus on competitors like Drew Stokes, a federal agent who survived being shot five times in 2017.

Monty considers these racers the true heroes.

Monty Montgomery: “The ones that have lost an arm, a leg, both legs, and as far as I’m concerned, everything should have been about those guys. I mean, they were incredible.”

Edited by China
  • Like 3

'Ice Dogs' Heidi and King home safe after 5-day adventure on ice floe

If dogs could talk, Heidi and King would have a story to tell.

The Ice Dogs, as they are known in northern New Brunswick, could tell a tale of their five-day adventure sailing on an ice floe in Chaleur Bay.

Heidi, a seven-month-old German shepherd, and King, an 18-month-old small mixed breed, got caught on the ice Tuesday in Belledune. They came ashore in Janeville Saturday after an estimated 80-kilometre trip.

heidi-and-king.jpg

They are home safe with their owner, Kevin Doyle, who still can't believe they are alive.

"They're just laying on the same blanket hanging out just like everything's normal to them," said Doyle when reached Sunday.

shania-carrier.jpg

• Like 5

While at Publix yesterday, the lady in front of me; let me go in front of her.

She did the same thing for the new lady in front of me. That lady said we should do a good dead during these times.  She paid for my groceries; which was $20.  I then offered $10 cash in my wallet to the lady behind me. She said no. I gave it to cashier and she said they would take $10 off the lady’s bill.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 2

I went to Walmart recently and went there for coffee makings and thought I'd Cruise back to the aisle where the water is and some lady had two cases in her cart and so as I passed her I said oh they have water back there? She said they did when I was back there I get back there and of course they're gone she sees me coming back down towards the coffee stuff and sees my cart empty and said well they're obviously out here have one of mine and gave me one of hers.

• Like 2

I finally got my Medicare and was now getting a Supplemental plan.  My agent was so nice that she drove from her home 30 minutes; to get the forms she sent me.  There's a rush, as the deadline is March 31 to sign up.  That was so nice of her.  I opened the door and gave her the paperwork and she gave me a receipt. She was wearing gloves and  mask and stood 6 feet away. Talk about customer service.  She didn't pressure me and help me, even though I told her I was shopping around and may not use her.

She was much better than a broker I called on the phone. I felt he was just pushing me to one plan.  

• Like 2

A Guy From Brooklyn Sees A Girl Dancing On A Roof, Sends Her A Drone With His Number On It

Almost all of us have been quarantined for the past couple of weeks. For single people, it’s a real date stopper. Well, this guy found a perfect solution for that.

Jeremy Cohen noticed a girl dancing on the roof of a building next to his own house in Brooklyn. When she saw him, he waved and she waved back. Jeremy then sent a drone her way and that’s how this romantic story started. 

Click on the link for the full article and photos

• Like 1

Ex-Coal Man Flips the Script By Rallying Appalachians to Plant 187 Million Trees on Abandoned Mines

Although the Appalachian Mountains are often only thought of as coal country, the ecosystem as a whole is one of the richest and most biodiverse seasonal deciduous forests on earth.

In addition to the mountains boasting rich populations of freshwater mussels, a corridor for migratory birds, and more species of salamanders than any other range, Appalachia is also home to National Parks like the Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee—a park that may have as many as 100,000 species just on its own.

However, Appalachia also has a darker, decades-long history of toxic coal-mining tactics such as mountaintop removal, surface reclamation, and blasting and tunneling that had done almost irreparable damage to local ecosystems, leaving hundreds of barren and bald hills throughout eastern Kentucky and West Virginia.

These were the scenes which characterized Patrick Angel’s life and career as a coal-industry regulator through the late 20th century—but in 2003, the Kentucky native had the power of spirit to turn over a new leaf and begin working to undo years of environmental degradation that were caused by the policies he once enforced.

Now 70 years old, Angel—an ex-coal man turned sheep farmer and father-of-five—has been the driving force behind a re-greening of coal country that has given out-of-work miners a chance to undue the environmental damage that they contributed to during coal’s hay day.

It has since amounted to 187 million trees being planted over 275,000 acres of former mines.

It was in 2002, after years of telling coal companies to pack rubble and plant grass on the remains of mountaintop blasting and strip mining sites, Angel noticed that the big trees—the life-giving forces of Appalachia—were not returning to the area.

According to a Seattle Times piece, Angel went to the University of Kentucky to pursue a Ph.D. There he met Chris Barton, a young forestry professor who was studying how regrowing forests could solve frequent flooding problems. Barton then went on become Angel’s colleague as he opened a new position in the OSM specifically to work on reforesting old strip mines and mountaintop removal sites.

In 2004, Angel, Barton, and others created the Appalachian Regional Reforestation Initiative and held the inaugural meeting in Stonewall State Park, West Virginia. Regulators from all levels of government, scientists, environmentalists, and even coal miners agreed—trees should be planted on mines.

Within just a few years, almost all new mines in the states of Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania were reforested upon completion, rather than packed tight and hydro-seeded with grass.

Edited by China
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Doctor gets pulled over for speeding, then trooper gives her N95 masks instead of a ticket

A doctor is praising a Minnesota state trooper who stopped her for speeding, but gave her N95 masks instead of a ticket. Dr. Sarosh Ashraf Janjua thanked State Trooper Brian J Schwartz for his act of kindness amid the coronavirus pandemic in a Facebook post.

Dr. Janjua, a cardiologist working on temporary assignment in the area, explained she was pulled over after driving over the speed limit. Trooper Schwartz told her it was "irresponsible" for her to be speeding because it would take up resources if she got into an accident and she would not be able to help her patients.

She waited to be slapped with a ticket, but instead, he let her off with a warning — plus five medical masks. They came from a supply the state had given him for his own protection, according to Janjua.

"I burst into tears," she said. "And though it may just have been the cold wind, I think he teared up a little as well, before wishing me well and walking away."

Like many of her fellow health care workers and first responders, Dr. Janjua said she had been feeling fear for not having adequate protective equipment and "worried about what would happen if I fell sick far from home."

"This complete stranger, who owed me nothing and is more on the front lines than I am, shared his precious masks with me, without my even asking," she added. "The veil of civilization may be thin, but not all that lies behind it is savage. We are going to be OK."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1