Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uplifting Stories Thread

Boy loses tooth on vacation, ‘tooth fairy’ finds his message in a bottle

letter of kindness coming from an unexpected source.

Knox County third-grader, Lucas was at Myrtle Beach with his family back in June. Lucas, who loves boogie boarding, was enjoying the ocean when one of his loose front teeth, fell out. That tooth swept away in the surf.

Lucas, worried his tooth wouldn’t be found by the tooth fairy, worked out a plan with his mom, Ashley Hamrick. The two wrote a note, put it in a bottle, and threw it into the ocean.

A couple months later the letter was found.

A package arrived postmarked to Lucas, from Dayton, Ohio. Inside, a letter explaining to Lucas that he shouldn’t be worried.

“Hello Lucas,

I hope you had a fun vacation at the beach! I’m so sorry that you lost your tooth in the surf. I got your message in the bottle, so I wasn’t worried about not finding it right away.

Good news! Mermaids found your tooth and gave it to me! The mermaid wanted you to have this shark tooth to remember your vacation. Brush your teeth 2 times every day to keep them pretty for me. Flossing is good too. Stay safe! Best wishes always,

The Tooth Fairy”

Also, included in the package a shark tooth necklace for Lucas to sport.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Oldest World War II veteran gets new roof in New Orleans, thanks to phone call, volunteers

When Lawrence Brooks, the country’s oldest-known World War II veteran, turned 111 in September, he received more than 10,000 cards, a salute from a squadron of aircraft and a happy birthday call from Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards.

His daughter, Vanessa Brooks, 60, heard her father’s end of the conversation, as the governor thanked him for his Army service and chatted with him about his big birthday. As the call concluded, it seems, the governor told Mr. Brooks to reach out if he needed anything.

“Yeah, man, my roof is leaking,” she heard her father tell the governor.

Two hours later, someone was knocking at her door in New Orleans’ Central City area, and on Saturday there was Kavin Griffin of the Central South Carpenters Regional Council, standing beside a trash bin of rotten roofing material. The council bought almost $10,000 in new materials, and volunteer union members from Local 1098 in Baton Rouge and Local 1846 in New Orleans plan to reframe and shingle the entire roof.

“Mr. Brooks won’t have to worry about a roof anymore,” Griffin said.

• Like 2

McDonald’s worker pays for family’s meal when mom forgets wallet; mom raises over $35K for him in return

A photo of a McDonald’s employee from Pennsylvania is going viral after his amazing act of kindness for a mother and her children.

Brittany Reed posted about the encounter on Facebook, and it’s gotten over 709,000 reactions since.

In her post, Reed said she was leaving a football practice with her three children, and her 4-year-old began crying while they were getting in the van. Her 7-year-old daughter then started crying because “I told her we were having red potatoes as a side for dinner and clearly she wasn’t a fan.”

So Reed decided to go to McDonald’s instead.

When she pulls up to the drive-thru window to pay, all three kids are crying. She realizes she left her purse at home.

“I look at the young man with tears in my eyes just from being stressed and annoyed and say “hun I am so sorry but I have to cancel that order I left my purse at home when we went to football tonight’,” Reed posted.

She said without hesitation, he took out his wallet and swiped his card before she could do anything.

“I was like wait no hun it’s ok I will come back through then he replies “no it’s totally fine, my pleasure’,” she wrote.

She ended up taking him cash, but she still wanted the world to hear what he did.

“I just want his parents to know how KIND & COMPASSIONATE your son was tonight! He made this stressed out momma pause for a moment and realize this is exactly what we parents are trying to do, raise great humans. Well Wyatt sir, you are an amazing human!!!” she wrote.

Reed found out that Wyatt had been working to save up money to buy a car. So they created a GoFundMe account that has raised over $35,000, nearly $30,000 over the goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Paul Harvey: Former music teacher with dementia stuns with improvised composition using only four notes

An 80-year-old former music teacher, who now suffers from dementia, has stolen the nation's heart with his incredible musical improvisation. 

A video of Paul Harvey shows him improvising a piece of music around four notes, selected at random by his son, Nick.

Since then, the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra has recorded an orchestral arrangement to accompany Mr Harvey's performance - creating an incredibly moving piece that is intended to show the healing power of music.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lowe's made this 4-year-old with autism an honorary associate. Here's why.

Jaxon Maples, 4, has been obsessed with fans since he was a baby.

Even before his family knew he had autism, Jaxon's parents would put him underneath a ceiling fan to help him calm down and stop crying.

As he got older and was able to crawl and walk to the laundry room, Jaxon's obsession expanded to include the washer and dryer. 

Then one day young Jaxon discovered the appliance section at Lowe's. He's insisted on visiting the home improvement store several times a week ever since.

c6b0805a-cc6a-4ead-a605-035bdd52a91e-IMG

If the family is driving somewhere but doesn't have time to stop at Lowe's, Jaxon's mom said, they have to plan their routes so they don't pass a Lowe's store.

"When you have a child who is autistic and he is on the spectrum, he can have massive meltdowns," Rippee said. "We are so thankful that we know how to calm him down before it gets into a really bad situation. We just get in the car and go to Lowe's."

Rippee recently reached out to Lowe's corporate office, asking if she could get a red Lowe's vest for Jaxon. The corporate office forwarded Rippee's request to management at the Lowe's location in south Springfield.

Manager Marty Davis and his team did more than just order Jaxon a red vest.

They made Jaxon an honorary associate on Saturday and gave him a Lowe's bucket full of Lowe's swag.

"My team was really inspired by his story and his connection to Lowe's," Davis said. "We tried to make it a special day for him. There's so much going on in this world right now. He made our Saturday at Lowe's."

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

A Florida man just paid off the past dues for 114 families at risk of having their utilities shut off

A Florida business owner who was once down on his luck is giving back by covering the utility bills of 114 families who were facing disconnection.

Michael Esmond's generosity started last year when he paid the utility bills of 36 households in his community of Gulf Breeze. This year, with both Hurricane Sally and Covid-induced economic turmoil hitting the city, he thought he needed to up the ante.

"This year to me probably is more meaningful that last year with the pandemic and all the people out of work having to stay home," Esmond told CNN. "Hurricane Sally slammed us pretty good and hurt a lot of people. We still have a lot of the blue roofs here, where they're just covered with tarps."

Esmond donated $7,615.40 to pay for the past-due bills of 114 households, according to Joanne Oliver, the city's utility billing supervisor. Holiday cards notifying the residents will be mailed this week, she says.

• Like 3

Former gang member named Missouri’s teacher of the year

A former gang member has been named as the Missouri Teacher of the Year.

Darrion ****rell, a physical education teacher at Lindbergh Schools’ Crestwood Elementary in St Louis, Missouri, was named as the 2021 Missouri Teacher of the Year by a committee of his peers in October.

In his acceptance speech that was uploaded by the school late last month, Mr ****rell revealed that he had a tough upbringing and had joined a gang by the time he was 10-years-old.

“That was normal life for me. I was going down the wrong path, destined to end up just like my friends — dead or in jail,” Mr ****rell said in his speech.

“I was born to a drug-addicted mother who had two of her six kids by the age of 16. My father was murdered when I was four, and I began my journey in and out of the foster care system not long after my 6th birthday,” he added.

However, Mr ****rell said that with the help of his adoptive parents and two of his PE teachers, he was inspired to become an educator himself.

He added to CBS News: “I had a lot of challenges and a lot of hurdles, and if it were not for those educators who helped me along the way, I wouldn't be where I am today.”

After thanking several teachers and role models in his life, Mr ****rell added: “My message for teachers is understanding the power that we have to make positive or negative impacts in the lives of others.”

• Like 2

2020 Was A Hard Year, So This Man Illustrated The 40 Best News Of The Year To Outweigh The Negativity

With everything that’s happened in 2020—the Covid-19 pandemic, the natural disasters, all the loss and fear—it’s easy to lose hope. But don’t despair! We’re so busy focusing on just the negative news that we’re ignoring the wholesome, heartwarming, and inspiring things happening around us each and every day.

Mauro Gatti, the founder of The Happy Broadcast, illustrates anxiety-free news from around the world and he’s bringing us the best things that happened in 2020 that will lift your spirits and make you believe in humankind again.

Click on the link for the list

• Like 2

Neighbors surprise kind UPS driver with emotional 'thank you'

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Even though his truck does not have sirens and his uniform does not offer added fire protection, Anthony Gaskins is considered a hero in the Hallsley neighborhood in Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Gaskins is a driver for UPS and during the pandemic, his daily deliveries have been life-saving, both literally and figuratively, to the Midlothian neighbors.

"Through COVID, Anthony has continued working, delivering packages at our doors, record numbers of them, over 180 times to date," Hallsley neighbor Patty Friedman wrote in an email. "I wanted to thank him personally for how much he helped me feel welcome when I moved in during a pandemic. It was terribly lonely and he was always the highlight of my day. Mentioning this to a few people and the response I got was all I needed to know I was not alone."

That prompted Patty and her neighbor to come up with a way to show their appreciation for Gaskins.

It all came together on Tuesday, December 15.

"Arriving on bikes, on foot, and in more than 75 cars, hundreds of Hallsley residents lined the road and waited for Anthony to turn the corner," she wrote. "A humble man, he needed to be coaxed, but eventually, slowly drove his truck down the road while children and adults held up signs, screamed his name, honked their horns, and rang bells."

almost-there.jpg

Gaskins' supervisors even showed up to present him with a gift.

The neighborhood gesture visibly moved Gaskins, who spoke briefly, thanked everyone, and then got back to work.

anthonys-reaction.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4-year-old boy with cancer gets his Christmas wish -- a jeep parade

Thousands of jeep owners gathered in Hedgesville, West Virginia on Dec. 23 to make the Christmas wish of a 4-year-old boy come true. 

Georgie lives with his family in Hedgesville, but has been battling stage 4 Neuroblastoma at St. Jude's Children's Hospital since October 2019. He came home a few days before Christmas to celebrate the holidays with his family. 

The 4-year-old's favorite thing in the world is jeeps. To make his Christmas extra special, his parents started asking around to see if they could organize a "jeep parade," in order to keep him safe, given the pandemic and the fact that cancer has left him immunocompromised. 

"This year has been so isolating for all of us, and we can only imagine the added challenge of literally fighting for your life," Berryville resident Jillian Ztemenots, who attended with her husband and 8-year-old son, said. 

The event grew quickly, and pretty soon more than 1,000 jeepers said they would be attending "Jeeps for Georgie." Many of the event attendees came from neighboring states and said they learned about the event from Facebook groups for jeep lovers. 

ce581e85-e697-44c6-b379-107fbf50a9cf_192

"With everything going on in the world, my daughter was afraid that the virus would ruin Christmas," Allison Miller, who came from Oldtown, Maryland, said. "This was a way of showing her Christmas is not always about receiving, but also giving."

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Doctor erases cancer patients' medical debt totaling $650,000

Around 200 people are starting 2021 off without any medical debt thanks to the kindness of an oncology doctor who erased $650,000 of his patients' debt.

Dr. Omar Atiq, a medical oncologist for nearly 40 years, closed his cancer clinic in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, in March after nearly three decades in business.

He worked with a billing company for several months after closing to try to collect payments from his former patients, but soon made a decision to stop reaching out.

"Over time I realized that there are people who just are unable to pay," Atiq told "Good Morning America." "So my wife and I, as a family, we thought about it and looked at forgiving all the debt."

"We saw that we could do it and then just went ahead and did it," he said.

• Like 1