Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uplifting Stories Thread

China

• 1 month later...

First grader receives $27,000 in donations for scholarship fund after school portrait with face mask goes viral

A Virginia student now has a nice cushion for his higher education.

On Friday, GoFundMe tweeted a heartwarming news update about Mason, 6, who wore a face mask in his school portrait, noting that strangers raised over $20,000 toward his college education.

"Adorable news alert: the internet has raised $27,000 for 6-year-old Mason's college fund after his school photo went viral for all the right reasons," the tweet read.

Last month, Mason's mom, Nicole Peoples, shared the photo on her Facebook page and humorously explained the adorable exchange the first grader had with the photographer in a now-viral post.

"Photographer: Ok, take your mask off.

Mason: My mom said to keep it on all the time unless I'm eating and far away from everybody.

Photographer: I'm sure it's ok to take it off for your pictures.

Mason: No, my mom seriously told me to make sure to keep it on.

Photographer: Are you sure you don't want to take it off for 2 seconds?

Mason: No Thank you, I always listen to my mom!

Photographer: Ok, say cheese!

I'm so proud of him for sticking to his word but I should have been more clear about my rules on this day," Peoples wrote.

242465041_10101771756837423_147528882607

Click on the link for the full story

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

A customer at the DeWitt Taco Bell asked an employee a question that ultimately changed both their lives

his week's Good Neighbor is a frequent customer at the Taco Bell on Herbison Road in DeWitt. Earlier last month, he says, his curiosity got the best of him, and he asked the drive-through attendant a question.

He says her answer changed both of their lives.

During one of his lunch visits to Taco Bell, Dave Schmitt says he noticed a truck and a camper parked in the parking lot. Dave says he had seen it for the past several days and his curiosity got the best of him, so he asked the drive-through attendant about it.

"I said, 'What's the story with this truck and camper that are out there?' And the drive-through attendant said, 'Well, that's where me and my son live.' And that's how I came to meet Miss Margie," said Schmitt.

Miss Margie, otherwise known as Margie Wolfe, says she's lived in the camper since July along with her son and their three dogs.

"When I told him that I lived there, he said, 'Okay. I didn't realize you are homeless.' I said, 'It's hard. I've been homeless since February of this year because of the COVID. I couldn't get my rent paid up in time and could not stay where I was. So that's when I end up in the camper,'" Wolfe said.

Dave says he immediately wanted to help Margie.

"You just can't help but know that you're in the right place at the right time. And I did really feel like there was a reason I struck up that conversation and got to know about her. Immediately I just started doing what I could to help her," Schmitt said.

Wolfe said being homeless is not easy.

"The hardest part of being homeless is not being able to cook a fresh meal for your family," she said. "It's hard to take a bath. It's hard not to sleep in an inflatable bed. It's hard, but Dave has come a long way and helped me out a lot."

Dave says hearing Margie's story spurred him into action.

He began visiting the restaurant as often as possible to give Margie whatever extra money he had.

Within a few months, Margie told Dave she'd saved up enough money to get her own apartment. In October, she moved into her new place, and again Dave says he knew he could do more, so he went to work helping her furnish it.

"I had messaged her and said, 'I have a bed. Could you use a bed?' Absolutely she could. Other friends, family, and coworkers were aware of what was going on back then and started offering stuff as well. I'd send her a message saying, 'Hey, do you need a lazy boy, kitchen stuff, and bath stuff? And quickly, we were putting stuff together," said Schmitt.

In talking to Dave, we learned this isn't the first time he's stepped up to be a good neighbor.

In 2018, he raised money to help Jessica Ford, who was a waitress at Deluca's Pizza. At the time, she had to skip a lot of her shifts to take care of her mom, who had terminal cancer.

Jessica says Dave is an unsung hero.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friendly, foul-mouthed crow befriends entire Oregon elementary school before state police are called in

A friendly, if somewhat foul-mouthed, crow became a temporary mascot at Allen Dale Elementary School in November when the bird took up residence at the Grants Pass school.

“This crow showed up at our school just out of the blue one morning,” said Naomi Imel, an education assistant at Allen Dale, over the phone on Thursday.

It began looking into classrooms, Imel said, and pecking on doors. At one point, it made its way into a fifth-grade classroom where it “helped itself to some snacks,” she said.

Imel said the bird wasn’t aggressive at all and seemed to love the kids.

“It landed on some people’s heads,” she said.

C6WUVEUAMVDNXNNA2BJMZZL5JU.jpeg

And, she added, it spoke. The bird could say, “What’s up?” and “I’m fine” and “a lot of swear words.”

“It was like a parrot,” Imel said. “It was the weirdest thing.”

Still, because it was a wild animal that wouldn’t leave, the school called animal control.

“It was quite the production,” Imel said. “Animal control came out and decided it was not in their jurisdiction to catch the crow.”

Then, a wildlife officer from Oregon State Police came to the scene.

“That officer was able to feed it from his hand,” Imel said. “They didn’t want to net it because if they missed, it would remember.”

According to Imel, all the grades came out to witness the attempted capture of the talkative crow.

The crow seemed to enjoy the attention, playfully chasing kids around the track, she said.

“We thought it would fly away but it didn’t,” Imel added. “The kids were like magnets.”

Ultimately, the wildlife trooper was unable to capture the crow, who spent the night of Nov. 29 outside the school.

It turns out, talking crows aren’t just something out of an Edgar Allan Poe poem. And this crow, or possibly and more in line with Poe, raven, knows at least 40 words.

“He knows a lot of words, I’m not going to lie,” said Daphnie Colpron on Thursday. “His vocabulary has expanded quite a bit in the last few weeks.”

Colpron knows a good deal about the crow, or possibly raven -- who also may be female -- because her mother rescued the bird about two years ago when it was a baby, bringing it home to the family’s farm in Williams from a shelter and naming it “Cosmo.”

The family has dogs, including a mastiff named “Tonka Truck,” Colpron said.

“Cosmo will say, ‘Tonka, you come outside,’ or he’ll say, ‘Dogs out,’” she said.

“Sometimes he does use profanity,” Colpron added.

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why this Costco bill is over $100K: ‘We must take care of each other’

A Costco in Durham, North Carolina, printed its bulkiest receipt ever earlier this month — to the sum of $103,079.70.

costco-bill-main-bn-211213-adfaa8.jpg

Every item in the haul was purchased with donated funds and will provide local low-income students with food to enjoy during their two-week winter break.

Turquoise Parker, a teacher in Durham, started the Bull City Foodraiser in 2015, when she discovered that many of her students were experiencing food insecurity during the holidays without free and reduced-price school lunches. 

“I had a family come to me and say, ‘’We don’t know how we’re going to eat. Can you please help us?’” Parker told TODAY Food. 

Parker promised that she and her husband, Donald Parker III, would take care of them. 

“But we realized if one family was asking, there were probably a lot more who could benefit from the same thing,” she said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Arizona grandmother tried to return Nintendo Switches mistakenly delivered to her. Now Target is gifting them back as thanks

An Ahwatukee woman accidentally received six Nintendo Switch consoles in a larger delivery to her home and all she wanted was to give them back.

After several attempts to return them to the Target store up the road where they were supposed to go, Deborah Lewis didn’t have much luck.

For all the effort Lewis made, the team at Target had something else in store for this sweet Ahwatukee woman. Target employees Trent and Allison arrived at the 68-year old's home planning to pick up the six Nintendo Switches but much to Deborah's surprise, they had something else in store.

"On behalf of Target and your local Target store right up the street, we want to give these to you to give to your grandchildren or whoever you want," Trent explained.

"Wait, are you serious?” she yelled. “You have no idea what I've been going through. This is unbelievable.”

The grandmother of eight was in tears and touched by their kindness. She receives several packages a week with her medicine and medical equipment, but she never expected this.

"From the bottom of our hearts, Target is so proud to do this for you, and we want to say thank you,” the workers said. “You have a new bestie. I'm your new best friend. I just cannot believe it.”

• Like 1

95-Year-Old Western PA Man Makes 300 Wooden Toys For Christmas

A 95-year-old man in Western Pennsylvania has once again provided a large amount of toys to local children in time for the holidays.

WPXI reports Ed Higinbotham, of Fayette County, continued his tradition of making wooden toys for Christmas, creating 300 to be handed out to kids in the area.

On Thursday (December 16), Pennsylvania State Trooper Forrest Allison shared a photo of himself and a fellow trooper holding up wooden toy trucks alongside the 95-year-old.

"At 95 Ed's still at it," Allison tweeted. "We just picked up 300 wooden toys for all to enjoy. Ed reminds us of the true definition of kindness. Thank You Ed."

61bce1271986f18f46f8f2de?ops=max(1060,0)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Car salesman surprises woman with free Chevrolet for the holidays

Suzanne Giloy uses her car to run errands for friends and neighbors who need help in her apartment complex for low-income senior citizens.

So when her 1980 Chevrolet Malibu was totaled in a traffic accident, it was a problem for a lot of people who could not reach their doctor appointments or the grocery store.

Then something unexpected happened.

Giloy’s name was called in a contest organized by a salesman who wanted to make someone’s holiday season extra special at the Lynch GM Superstore car dealership in Burlington.

The prize? A car.

Salesman Dan Dace solved Giloy’s problems and made her life easier by giving her a restored 2009 Chevrolet Impala right off the showroom floor at Lynch’s.

Dace, who has been selling cars for five years, said he knows how important it is for people to have reliable transportation. And he wanted to mark the holiday season by helping someone in need.

He received about 125 entries in a contest conducted via Facebook. But when he read about Giloy and her thoughtful practice of helping friends and neighbors, he had found his winner.

“I knew she was the right one,” he said. “She’s such a deserving woman.”

For Giloy, the free car is an answer to a prayer that she would be able to remain mobile without having to drain her modest savings to buy a new vehicle.

• Like 3

Montana trucker/Youtuber calls on friends and famous to “Hay It Forward”

Drought, grasshoppers, and wildfires have left many Montana ranchers struggling through a hay shortage. No hay means sell your herd (your income potential) or take a trip to the bank, buy hay, and pay top dollar to ship it in.

“They would be paying back the bank for this hay for several years to come,” said Jaxon Allen, a rancher from Lewistown. “I mean, the cattle wouldn't even come close to even breaking even. I mean they'd be in the hole on that hay for some years to come."

But Allen, owner of Wild Wild West Inc, also drives a truck and has a YouTube page documenting his adventures hauling cattle and hay across the region.

While most ranchers are struggling, motivated Montana truck drivers like Allen are in the green.

So when his friend Buck Mosby from the small town of Roy in Fergus County called him up to ask if he could pick up some hay 800 miles away, Allen told him just how much it was going to cost.

Mosby had already sold off about half his herd, but he still had the other half to feed, and Allen knew Mosby and his wife, JoAnn, were making the extra effort to succeed.

They both work side jobs to make their ranching work, and that day, Mosby was at the local school.

“You know, you can just imagine the picture in your mind of him with the phone on his ear and he’s serving lunch to these kids, trying to get a hay deal together, and getting this done,” said Allen, “and that’s when it really settled on me.”

As Allen hung up the phone, he decided he would find a way. He pulled in a friend, loaded up his boys into his Cab-over, and hit the road.

“The last two years have been so much division, so much strife, hatred, angst. And the best way that I found in my life to settle those things out of my way is to serve. To do service,” explained Allen.

They took the trek, some 800 miles, all the way to Canistota, South Dakota, loaded up the hay and headed home.

At the same time, two more trucks loaded with hay were headed to Montana from Aberdeen, Idaho. Allen had also called on his friend, Heavy D Sparks, also knows as one of the Diesel brothers.

The two teams met up at Allen’s ranch and from there, formed a committed convoy. “He knew we were coming, but he was totally surprised at the end,” said Allen, “when Heavy D slid that check across.”

On top of the donated trucking from Allen, Sparks had already decided he was paying for the hay.

“This right here is going to cover the cost of the hay from South Dakota,” said Sparks in the video, “and all the other stuff is donated, so we’ve got you covered.”

Allen said he could feel the emotion in the room.

“You rarely get to be part of something like that. Where you get to see somebody receive such a great blessing in their life, right there in person,” said Allen.

Buck and his wife JoAnn are still blown away by the gift. “You can't even begin to describe the feeling. I mean, there's a lot of gratitude,” said Buck, “but even that does not go nearly far enough. To explain how it was.”

That blessing is already growing, as the Mosbys took in a half dozen cows from another neighbor.

“He didn't have hay either,” said Mosby, “So I told him, just bring them. I will winter him I will calve them and then I’ll bring them back. Just trying to pay back some of the goodness that was brought to us.”

With a big smile on his face, Allen said, “It is definitely returning, and coming full circle and doing much more good out there.”

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1