Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uplifting Stories Thread

China

The rest...

"I responded “yeah, it’s a traditional Japanese poem consisting of 3 lines and in the pattern of 5-7-5 syllables.” I remember I had just written one in class. He freaked out and told me I was the smartest person he has ever met. I was literally like 8."

"Anyways. On that day he vowed to make sure I always made it to school. My mother was in her own world, doing and dealing drugs. When I tell you this guy drove me and picked me up so he KNEW I went everyday.. he literally did my homework with me."

"He took me to all the important things in my life. He became family. The closest thing to a father figure I’ve ever had honestly. He was my best friend. He saved my life. Tonight I got a call from his sister. He died unexpectedly from a (possible) heart attack @ around 1am."

"Anyways. He’s gone. I’m probably gonna be a weirdo for a while. Sorry in advance. I just needed to get that out. There is so much more but I just know I would not be where I am without him."

"Love you Dave. Thank you for teaching me how to change a tire, replace my brakes, watching every episode of the Simpson’s with me, saving my life literally countless times.. always said “you can have a good life in spite of your mom, or a bad 1 bc of her”. I chose the good life."

image.png.3d2dbc041b8b80ef98aeec992aa365ad.png

EDIT: I questioned whether or not to post this...thought there was no way of proving the story is true (although not sure why this particular story would need to be fabricated). She mentioned how she woke up at the time of his heart attack and stayed awake during the time they tried resuscitating him, which made me wonder if she embellished the story some or if she's just using the incorrect terminology. Anyway, if it is true I thought it was a good reminder of how being kind improves the world as a whole.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Letcher County teacher lifts the community's spirits with art

Tyler Watts, also referred to as the "Post-It Picasso," is a second-grade teacher at Letcher Elementary. Normally he’d be preparing for the new school year, but the floods have delayed that start. Now, he’s working on unique murals he hopes will brighten downtown Whitesburg — with post-its.

p4.jpg

“I try to find things that a lot of people can relate to. I try not to do just things that are hot right now,” says Watts.

This artist takes something this small and turns it into something this big. He says that he can use anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 post-its to create his murals. His goal is to bring this community joy.

p9.jpg

“I want it to reach a lot of different age groups sometimes I almost run out of ideas but I try to find things that kids can relate to just as much as adults can," says Watts.

Watts has been creating these works for years, usually around the holidays. Now, Watts is approaching local business owners to lend space for the post-it pictures to help lift this community’s spirits. The owner of 1842 Boutique, Katie Caudill, who has been collecting toys for children impacted by the floods, knew she wanted to participate.

p6.jpg

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alligator floats along the lazy river at Illinois water park

An Illinois water park marked the end of the summer season by letting one last visitor float along the lazy river -- an alligator.

The Scovill Zoo brought G, a 39-year-old alligator, to Splash Cove in Decatur to officially become the last visitor to the park to float on the lazy river.

Splash Cove officials said the last human visitors were at the park several weeks ago, allowing enough chlorine to naturally burn off the water for it to become safe for the reptile to take a swim.

A video posted to Facebook by the Scovill Zoo shows G floating in the lazy river and crawling along the bottom of the water.

"He loved freshening up on his swimming skills, floating in the river current, and let us know that he enjoyed his trip to the lazy river by refusing to leave," the post said.

"G finally decided to come out and then basked in the sun on the concrete deck for a few minutes before safely venturing back to his home at Scovill Zoo."

The zoo said officials hope to make the lazy river visit an annual event for G.

Click on the link for the video

More than 1,000 strangers throw early Halloween bash for boy, 5, with terminal cancer

More than 1,000 strangers came together to throw an early Halloween celebration for a 5-year-old boy with terminal cancer.

In 2018, Alexandros Hurdakis of Hamilton, Ontario was diagnosed with ependymoma, a brain tumor that grows in the brain or spinal cord.

Alexandros had surgeries to remove most of the tumor, followed by chemotherapy and radiation. However, the tumor grew back, prompting more medical treatments, the last of which was provided earlier this year.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci2XAoCj8rp/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=75ca6055-5bc5-4067-9da0-fcb80c718667

Because the tumor sits on his brain stem, Alexandros can't properly swallow or speak, so he breathes with a tracheostomy tube and eats with a gastrostomy tube. The boy also uses oxygen because he has sleep apnea.

“Two weeks ago, we learned that Alex is terminal," Alexandros’ father Nick told TODAY Parents. "Doctors said he wouldn’t be able to handle more surgery, and chemo and radiation haven’t worked."

Alexandros' parents, Nick and Kira, wanted to make this Halloween special for their son, who really wanted to visit a haunted attraction in Niagara Falls with his siblings, Kostas, 8 and Eirene, 2.

When doctors discouraged travel, family friend Paula Tzouanakis Anderson raised her hand to help.

"I thought, 'OK, let's bring Halloween to Alexandros,'" Tzouanakis Anderson told TODAY Parents.

Tzouanakis Anderson wanted to create a haunted house in Alex's backyard, so she asked a friend to request donated decorations in a Hamilton community group on Facebook.

A few hours later, the post was buzzing with activity.

"People were messaging me asking, 'How can I help?'" she said. "It was overwhelming, but I was determined to make Halloween a memory for the family."

Tzouanakis Anderson suspected that the evolving celebration — equal parts Halloween parade and block party — was about to swell in size, so she asked city officials for roadblocks to be placed on Alexandros' street.

As excitement for the party grew, face painters and cotton candy and popcorn vendors volunteered services for what Tzouanakis Anderson figured would be 200 guests.

Local photographer Nick Parry and videographer Sadie Martin also offered to document the celebration.

On the evening of Sept. 14, an estimated 1,000 people congregated on Alexandros' street to celebrate the holiday with him.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Boy's wheelchair costume wins with NHL players, fans

Five-year-old Easton Oetting is a big fan of the Edmonton Oilers. Easton also needs a wheelchair to help him get around.

With the help of a handy father, Easton had the perfect costume for Halloween.

For this year, Easton went as the Edmonton Oilers’ Zamboni machine. 

global-news-calgary-easton-oetting.jpg?q

His costume grabbed the attention of the NHL, which called it the “costume of the year.” It also got the attention of Oilers star Evander Kane, who said, "That’s awesome, absolutely love this.”

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

MARTA driver celebrates his 50th year of service | What the station gifted him for his service

MARTA honored bus driver and Adamsville native Coy Dumas, Jr. for his 50 years of service. He first joined the force in 1972 as a bus driver when the station was still called Atlantic Transit. 

MARTA estimates Dumas has carried 2.8 million passengers since he began operating a bus. He also boasts a spotless driving record, having driven over two million miles without an accident, the transit center said.

As a mentor to countless drivers over the decades, Dumas leads the Mentorship Program out of Perry Bus Facility, according to MARTA.

“He is on a first-name basis with his customers and they will tell you, he is not just the man who drives the bus, he is a mainstay in their community and part of the family. Mr. Dumas represents the very best of MARTA and we celebrate his incredible career,” MARTA said in a release. 

The transit center added Dumas was honored at the November meeting of the MARTA Board of Directors. He was surrounded by his wife Teresa and many friends and colleagues.

The company surprised him with a bus– with his picture on it, at a celebration held at MARTA headquarters. He also received a special minibus to go along with it.

e37b4438-b512-4c98-b742-8b3a7f88a511_750

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple saw packages discarded on the side of a road. They delivered the parcels themselves.

Ahead of the holidays, a couple in Ohio followed in Santa’s footsteps and delivered packages they saw discarded off the side of a road. 

Zachary Arnwine, a 24-year-old steelworker at Cleveland-Cliffs, told USA TODAY he and his fiancée Tristen Raisch, a 20-year-old stay-at-home mom, were driving to their home in Franklin, Ohio, from Raisch’s father’s house on Nov. 25, when they saw a FedEx driver who “looked like he was throwing trash.”  

“When we turned around, the FedEx man was already gone. And we pulled out to where he was, and we looked over the side of the guardrail, and there was like maybe 5 to 7 packages laying there. And we decided to pick them up, bring them to our car, and we started calling phone numbers to deliver them,” Arnwine said.  

The couple said they drove around for more than two hours, calling the recipients and bringing them their packages. Arnwine added that people were “surprised” and “pretty much amazed,” when they received the parcels.  

Arnwine and Raisch, who are expecting a daughter in January, added that they didn’t want the parcels to linger as lost mail, especially ahead of the holiday season. 

“We really didn’t think about it. We just did it. And obviously it's (the) holidays, and it's hard. Times are hard now. We're struggling. Everybody's struggling,” Arnwine said. 

• Like 1

After donating kidney to woman, OC man to donate part of his liver to baby at Children's Hospital LA

Outside of Keck Hospital of USC, a man in perfectly good health awaits a life-changing surgery that has been four years in the making.

When Josh Harrold's daughter Amelia was born prematurely, she weighed at just 2 pounds, 14 ounces. He spent eight weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit and repeatedly saw the agony of families waiting and hoping.

His time at the NICU is when he vowed to help. He added his name to the Children's Hospital Los Angeles' donor program, and recently got the call.

"I went in for a battery of tests and luckily everything matched out," Harrold said. "It seems like I'm this baby's perfect match."

He does not know who this child in need is. She is a stranger, only described as a baby girl less than 12 months old. He plans to give her part of his liver on Friday. He will be giving roughly 25% of the organ -- which should regenerate in roughly six weeks.

Harrold spoke with an ease that contradicts the gravity of what he is scheduled to endure, and knows he's being cavalier. After all, he's been in this position before.

In 2017, his good friend Kelly Van Den Berghe needed a kidney. She has polycystic kidney disease, which is genetic and often means a life with dialysis if not for a living donor.

Van Den Berghe, who lives in Santa Cruz, logged onto Facebook asking for help. Harrold was the first person to reach out, he just needed to check with his wife.

"I was like, 'Erica, did you happen to see Kelly's post?' And Erica looked at me and was like, 'You want to do it don't you?'" he said.

So that summer, he did. Both he and Kelly were a match.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ER nurse makes patients smile with over 150 designs painted onto his mohawk

n emergency room nurse at Intermountain Medical Center is using his funky hairdos to make his patients smile.

Nurse Thomas "Zach" Zacharias said when the pandemic first hit, his children looked for a way to pass the time. They decided to shave dad's head into a mohawk and paint it.

"You had the lockdowns, you had patients that were isolated so we wanted to do something fun," Zacharias said. "COVID took away 50% of my ability to express myself [with a mask on] so we went up and we found another 50% we could do something with."

Zacharias and his children spend one to two hours on each design. So far, they have styled his mohawk with a different look every workday since spring 2020, totaling about 150 designs.

"It's a lot, it's a little crazy," he said. "We've had beehive honeycomb patterns, for Halloween we did a jack-o'-lantern and we actually hid one of the little lights inside. For one design the kids put a nice big stamp that said, 'Stay Calm.'"

gallery

Click on the link for the full article and video

• 2 weeks later...