Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/holton-arms-alumnae-ford-accusations-kavanaugh

I attended a similarly privileged and elitist private school in DC just a couple of years after BK/Ford.  I didn't go to those parties (I was happy as a mathlete and didn't get out much) but I know clearly that they happened and were nearly ubiquitous.  I also know that drunken, loutish, sexual assault was common and scarring.  I'm glad that culture is getting a bit of a reckoning now, even if it is decades too late.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm talking about the dozens who didn't.

Women don't report every day.

I was talking to a very close friend yesterday, and she revealed a date rape situation that I never knew happened - even though I knew her, I knew the guy, and I was around on the night in question.

It just never occurred to me to say, "You should call the police."

Just so Im sure I understand, you dont think that the police should be notified about this allegation?

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Just so Im sure I understand, you dont think that the police should be notified about this allegation?

They know now. Little known fact: no one needs to press charges for the police to do something.

As for notifying the police, I would prefer if people reported everyone who committed sexual assault. I understand why they don't. I don't judge those who don't.

There's also not a chance in hell that anyone is getting arrested for this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They know now. Little known fact: no one needs to press charges for the police to do something.

As for notifying the police, I would prefer if people reported everyone who committed sexual assault. I understand why they don't. I don't judge those who don't.

There's also not a chance in hell that anyone is getting arrested for this.

I completely disagree on the last part.  MULTIPLE people would get arrested if her allegation is true.  You dont think police would arrest people for drugging and gang raping multiple people?  Really?

And I agree she doesnt have to do anything except say where it happened.  Without that piece, the police wouldnt know if it's there jursidiction or anothers.

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I completely disagree on the last part.  MULTIPLE people would get arrested if her allegation is true.  You dont think police would arrest people for drugging and gang raping multiple people?  Really?

And I agree she doesnt have to do anything except say where it happened.  Without that piece, the police wouldnt know if it's there jursidiction or anothers.

Wait, I thought I read previously that in 1982 there was a SOL on rape etc?

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

I really, really, really hope you're right.  Unfortunately, I think you are wrong.  I think this kind of thing was surprisingly common (yes, including organized drugging and raping of girls) in that culture in that time.  I don't know if that culture has changed, but having grown up in a similar time and place, those stories are all too familiar.  I don't remember anyone getting investigated, let alone arrested.

Maybe our culture has changed enough that those responsible will now, far too late, be held accountable.  Given the current GOP distaste for investigating sexual assault, let alone actually holding people accountable, I am pessimistic.  

i do really hope you are right, though.    

I don't think there is any way in Hell to investigate this and gather enough evidence to even get it to a grand jury. You would need a tremendous number of people telling the exact same story with incredibly specific details.

The conservative position here is basically you can't prove anything via a he said/she said and that's why the police need to investigate this he said/she said.

The question to me is not so much whether Kavanaugh participated in a gang rape. It seems like there a fair number of people who knew him who are saying, "Oh yea.....I could totally see him doing that."

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't think there is any way in Hell to investigate this and gather enough evidence to even get it to a grand jury. You would need a tremendous number of people telling the exact same story with incredibly specific details.

The conservative position here is basically you can't prove anything via a he said/she said and that's why the police need to investigate this he said/she said.

And I think that's a convenient way for the left to destroy a persons honor etc without actually ever having to put themselves in a position to answer for it if they're lying.  Edit- Specific to the Avenatti allegations.

Edited by Kilmer17

I feel like on the list of ways to help people recover after a traumatic incident and ensure they are reported in timely fashions in the future, telling people they ought to subject themselves to the rigors of the criminal system or they will lose credibility is not really helping things.

• Like 2

And when a perpetrator actually gets convicted, the sentence is so lenient as to be nonexistent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/18/no-prison-time-ex-houston-doctor-who-raped-heavily-sedated-patient/1031665002/

A former Texas doctor who raped a heavily sedated patient won't serve prison time after he was found guilty of the crime Thursday.

Shafeeq Sheikh, a former Baylor College of Medicine physician, was sentenced to 10 years' probation Friday, and he must now register as a sex offender.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Over 50% of the R base said that Kavanaugh should be appointed even if allegations are true. 

Truly a sick, deranged group of voters.

Well, these are the same people who mostly supported and still almost managed to elect a creepy pedo to the Senate.

• Sad 1

Question: If tomorrow's hearing goes as planned does Kavanaugh stick to his "I didn't drink, I was a virgin, what's a party?" image that he has tried to portray?  It seems like he sort of made the error in judgement to lie about his youthful ways to where he either has to continue lying or back track on those claims, which then hurts his overall credibility. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Question: If tomorrow's hearing goes as planned does Kavanaugh stick to his "I didn't drink, I was a virgin, what's a party?" image that he has tried to portray?  It seems like he sort of made the error in judgement to lie about his youthful ways to where he either has to continue lying or back track on those claims, which then hurts his overall credibility. 

I thought BK said he did drink because the drinking age was 18?

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I thought it was 29 percent?  

A majority of Republicans (54 percent) say they think Kavanaugh should be confirmed regardless of whether Ford's allegations are true, according to the poll.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/26/651647131/poll-nearly-6-in-10-to-closely-watch-kavanaugh-ford-hearing-many-undecided-on-tr

4 minutes ago, twa said:

This use of culture is a bad road.

The Holton-Arms yearbook from that time illustrates it was wild, but that doesn't mean everyone was.

Fair enough.  I should have been clearer.  I didn't mean to bring this up as direct evidence of BK's guilt, just as evidence that sexual assault was (still is) pervasive, wildly underreported, largely unpunished.  It was more to argue against Kilmer17's opinion (I think), that this allegation is outlandish and will lead to multiple arrests.  

I certainly may be mischaracterizing/simplifying his argument...  but my inclusion of that article was not meant to be directly relevant to BK.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2