Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

On 6/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, RonArtest15 said:

Burakovsky is as good as gone.  No way he's back next year.  Dude is an enigma.  Can't keep waiting on him to make the leap. 

The skillset is there, but he is just too physically frail.  

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Seemed like the safest pick, Dale Hunter coached the kid so probably some insight there. Thought we were gunna draft Kaliyev or Suzuki, just glad it wasn’t another defenceman

I’ve heard more than one source claim he’d be a top 10 pick if he was a bit bigger - his pre draft ranking was between 21-35, I like the pick, I think he’s got some legitimate upside (based on what others have said) but I know jack 🤫 about hockey. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:54 PM, Warhead36 said:

Oshie's still a quality player. I wouldn't just get rid of him unless you're signalling a rebuild which I don't think we'll do as long as 8 is in town.

I disagree that getting rid of Oshie would signal a rebuild. The Caps need to be willing trade a player here and there to keep the influx of young talent coming. Trading a guy like Oshie in the next year or two can extend the Caps ability to contend as Ovechkin and Backy get older. 

12 hours ago, max21 said:

Seemed like the safest pick, Dale Hunter coached the kid so probably some insight there. Thought we were gunna draft Kaliyev or Suzuki, just glad it wasn’t another defenceman

Can't believe how far Kaliyev dropped. Kings got a steal with him in the 2nd. Should have been us. 

On 6/22/2019 at 10:49 PM, Mournblade said:

Can't believe how far Kaliyev dropped. Kings got a steal with him in the 2nd. Should have been us. 

Kings came away with an absolute haul in the draft: Turcotte at #5, Bjornfot at $22, and Kaliyev at # 33. That's three potential starters right there.

Caps ended up with a nice depth draft, by all accounts. 

Thank you Mr Orpik

Brooks Orpik has announced his retirement.

"I've been extremely lucky to have the best job in the world for many years, but my body is telling me it is time to move on to something new," said Orpik. "I'm excited for more family time and to experience a lot of the things that being a professional athlete forces you to miss out on. Thank you to the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins for giving me the opportunity to play against the best athletes in the world. I'll be forever grateful for the memories and relationships that hockey has given me." The 38-year-old defenseman played in 1,035 career games. Orpik produced 194 points and 972 penalty minutes.

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Happy he was able to help us win our first Cup. He'll forever be remembered as the guy who scored the first ever Caps Stanley Cup Finals GWG.

He WAS instrumental in getting us that Cup. Not so much his own perfomance but rather his effect on his younger team-mates.  

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Carlson has been here longer but I don't know if he's got the natural leadership attributes that Oshie appears to have.

Should be Carlson. More important player to the team and TJ is getting up there in age. 

48 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Went to the equipment sale yesterday and picked up 3 new sticks.  A Backstrom, a Vrana and a Burakovsky.  $100 each.  Total steal.

And a large increase from several years ago. I got two pairs of pants and two megna twigs. 

46 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Went to the equipment sale yesterday and picked up 3 new sticks.  A Backstrom, a Vrana and a Burakovsky.  $100 each.  Total steal.

Burakovsky is my favorite player for some reason, I don’t watch a lot of hockey, but when I do check in he just seems to have a level of talent that’s different than the rest of the “non stars” on the ice ... I hope we keep him, he became a hero for a night down in Tampa last year.

giphy.gif

Archived