Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

Why these Fox News loyalists have changed the channel to Newsmax

On the morning after Election Day, Greg and Jenny Brethen, loyal viewers of Fox News who watched the channel religiously for almost 20 years, turned on their go-to morning show, “Fox & Friends,” and thought they saw something fishy.

The Tennessee couple sensed that their favorite Fox personalities, weekday co-host Brian Kilmeade and weekend co-host Pete Hegseth, who appeared in a segment, were holding back. “Like they were both instructed to keep their mouth shut, that’s how I felt,” Jenny said.

The previous evening, the nonpartisan Fox News Decision Desk was the first network prognosticator to call the state of Arizona for Joe Biden, a call that to some was early — but ultimately held up. On Nov. 7, the network called the election for the former vice president, although Hegseth won’t call him the president-elect and Kilmeade has qualified his presidency with an uncertain “if.”

Whatever it was, Greg said the couple “felt duped.” At that moment, they decided to stop watching Fox News forever and look for an alternative. After hearing about the conservative upstart Newsmax during a pro-Trump rally, they chose to give the channel a shot.

“We’re permanently switched,” Jenny, 46, said in a recent phone interview. “We’re not going back. Once you do something like that, you’re done in our book.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, China said:

Why these Fox News loyalists have changed the channel to Newsmax

On the morning after Election Day, Greg and Jenny Brethen, loyal viewers of Fox News who watched the channel religiously for almost 20 years, turned on their go-to morning show, “Fox & Friends,” and thought they saw something fishy.

The Tennessee couple sensed that their favorite Fox personalities, weekday co-host Brian Kilmeade and weekend co-host Pete Hegseth, who appeared in a segment, were holding back. “Like they were both instructed to keep their mouth shut, that’s how I felt,” Jenny said.

The previous evening, the nonpartisan Fox News Decision Desk was the first network prognosticator to call the state of Arizona for Joe Biden, a call that to some was early — but ultimately held up. On Nov. 7, the network called the election for the former vice president, although Hegseth won’t call him the president-elect and Kilmeade has qualified his presidency with an uncertain “if.”

Whatever it was, Greg said the couple “felt duped.” At that moment, they decided to stop watching Fox News forever and look for an alternative. After hearing about the conservative upstart Newsmax during a pro-Trump rally, they chose to give the channel a shot.

“We’re permanently switched,” Jenny, 46, said in a recent phone interview. “We’re not going back. Once you do something like that, you’re done in our book.”

what a bunch of ****ing losers. All of them. Dumb AF too. 

• Like 1

Yanno......

Yeah, they're dumb, willingly, willfully dumb, they embrace their bull**** like some valuable family heirloom and try to pass it down to their kids and never miss a chance to extol the wonders and virtues of the Cthulhu anal plug of political delusion they own (It's the tentacles!).

But

This has been done to them all, this is the result of 50 years of conscious concerted efforts to undermine this country, strip away all the jobs and tax base support and community and education and everything that gave people a shot a making a better life for their kids.

And then they were relentlessly pounded every day, every hour with this auditory opioid abuse of blaming "someone" else, of being bred like Pavlov's dogs to slaver at the FOX logo and remain captive for the sake of someone's naked greed.

Yeah, I'm biased, I find this **** utterly repulsive and indecipherable and at a loss for how anyone can keep voting for their abusers in their weird Stockholm syndrome 50 shades of beat me more.

But isn't this a kind of victim shaming? 

How do we fix this? Because we damn well better fix this or it will poison us all

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Yeah, they're dumb, willingly, willfully dumb, they embrace their bull**** like some valuable family heirloom and try to pass it down to their kids and never miss a chance to extol the wonders and virtues of the Cthulhu anal plug of political delusion they own (It's the tentacles!).

And then they were relentlessly pounded every day, every hour with this auditory opioid abuse of blaming "someone" else, of being bred like Pavlov's dogs to slaver at the FOX logo and remain captive for the sake of someone's naked greed.

Yeah, I'm biased, I find this **** utterly repulsive and indecipherable and at a loss for how anyone can keep voting for their abusers in their weird Stockholm syndrome 50 shades of beat me more.

Not saying I disagree with anything you wrote...but you do realize that they honestly think essentially the same about us...right? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, China said:

What does that even mean?

it’s a party of chaos and opposition. I struggle to find any thread of common policy and long term goal. Whenever I speak to my trump friend he can’t explain what he likes. It all boils down to immigrants and some weird nonsense about the economy. 

Once we start talking about the economy he struggles to express any understanding of it beyond STONKS! It’s all so weird to me. 

1 hour ago, GoSkinsGo said:

What does that even mean?

it’s a party of chaos and opposition. I struggle to find any thread of common policy and long term goal. Whenever I speak to my trump friend he can’t explain what he likes. It all boils down to immigrants and some weird nonsense about the economy. 

Once we start talking about the economy he struggles to express any understanding of it beyond STONKS! It’s all so weird to me. 

Occasionally I check out the Facebook page of someone I knew over the years through coaching their kids. Hot current topics are:

(1) the Swamp - giant bills full of pork, and Mitch McConnell is part of the problem

(2) immigration fears and the need for more deportations

(3) random hating on Dem politicians for something unimportant they said

(4) any societal issue that they can bemoan change and returning to ‘the good old days’. Could be related to gender, badly behaved children etc

(5) Benghazi!

• Haha 2

Jenny, who said she now watches Newsmax from the time she gets up to the time she goes to bed,

How many others are just sitting around all ****ing day watching this junk? Yet these are the same conservative assholes who constantly yell about how they work so hard to get theirs. No wonder their brains have turned to mush. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Not saying I disagree with anything you wrote...but you do realize that they honestly think essentially the same about us...right? 

Sadly yes I do but the difference is that I am not ****ing insane

The other alternative is a fight to the death

29 minutes ago, clietas said:

How many others are just sitting around all ****ing day watching this junk? Yet these are the same conservative assholes who constantly yell about how they work so hard to get theirs. No wonder their brains have turned to mush. 

Hey man! They're "researching." Maybe you should try it! 🤪

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Sadly yes I do but the difference is that I am not ****ing insane

The other alternative is a fight to the death

Unsolicited bit of advice: never randomly claim that you're either

(a) not insane

or 

(2) totally and completely sane

you kind of lose standing after that (Trust me...personal experience). 😉

Also lets not talk about fighting to the death: too much like the people on parler saying they want civil war.  Best if we accept they have an irrational world view and set of beliefs and figure out how to use those things to get them to perform actions more in line with what we find acceptable.  We'll never change their beliefs: only they can do that for themselves.  But we might be able to influence their actions (which in turn will slowly change their world view).

I know...slow and painful process.  Totally unfair.  Realize what we are dealing with here is a cult: there are a huge number of papers written out there on how to "de-brainwash" people from cults.  Confronting them with arguments or violence to try and convince them their world view is wrong pretty much never works.

Edited by Jabbyrwock

Fox News’s post-Trump identity crisis, explained by an expert

As its main meal ticket prepares to leave office, Fox News is struggling through an identity crisis.

For the better part of five years, Fox and Donald Trump have enjoyed a symbiotic relationship. Trump’s habitual watching of Fox and the willingness both he and other administration officials have had to be interviewed on Fox News and Fox Business brought the network to unprecedented heights of relevance, while Fox has helped Trump by defending him through thick and thin.

But Trump’s relationship with Fox hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows. Even while the vast majority of the network’s programming did his bidding in one way or another, Trump has repeatedly lashed out at Fox in recent years for coverage he deems insufficiently fawning — and the one-sided feud has escalated dramatically since his loss to Joe Biden.

“On a fundamental level Fox has been operating as a propaganda arm of President Trump, but the president has never really been satisfied with the level of obsequiousness he sometimes sees when he turns on his television,” Matt Gertz, senior fellow at Media Matters for America, told me.

Things came to a boiling point in the days following the election. Fox News’s “news side,” such as it is, was among the first on election night to call Arizona for Joe Biden. Its decision to do so sent President Donald Trump into a rage. Though the state didn’t end up being central to most networks’ decisions to call the race for Joe Biden, it was a symbolic turning point during a night that quickly went from hopeful to sour for the president. He’s spent the past six weeks seemingly more focused on settling scores with Fox News than he has been on the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump apparently isn’t alone in feeling betrayed. At his urging, many of his followers have turned off Fox News and are watching Newsmax and One America News Network (OAN) — Trumpier alternatives to Fox News, which at least during the daytime hours still likes to think of itself as a news channel and not a Trump propaganda network.

To give you a flavor for their programming, OAN is refusing to refer to President-elect Biden as “President-elect,” based on lies about there being “fraud in voting.” Newsmax, meanwhile, recently did an interview with former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn in which Flynn mused about a military coup to keep Trump in office — shocking comments that received no pushback from the host.

Believe it or not, this coverage is resonating. While they still lag far behind Fox News overall, ratings for Newsmax and OAN have surged since the election while Fox’s have stagnated. In a major milestone, Newsmax earlier this month even bested Fox News in a key demographic over an hour of programming.

Fox, meanwhile, is also feeling pressure from the saner end of the spectrum. CNN’s post-election ratings are up and at times have been better than Fox. For the first time in 20 years, Fox News can no longer boast that it’s clearly the top dog in cable news.

Trump can’t totally quit Fox News, however. While he lambasts the network’s “news side,” he still habitually live tweets broadcasts hosted by his favorites, such as Sean Hannity and Mark Levin. During a Fox & Friends interview on election morning, Trump even bashed Fox News while on Fox News.

🎶 And the grift goes on...

‘No Refunds’: Eventbrite Hosts $60 Bus Ride to Trump’s Inauguration

A pair of Eventbrite organizers are seeking to cash in on Republicans hopeful President Donald Trump will turn the election around before Inauguration Day with a bus ride to the event.

“We are anticipating President Trump’s Inauguration in January,” Ashley (Danielle) Weiss and Reggie Skyrock wrote on a description for their $60, non-refundable event. Calling it a “bus trip with patriots” from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, the dynamic duo implored readers to sign up, and initially promised the trip would be refundable, writing, “Please reserve your seat now which is FULLY REFUNDABLE.”

A subsequent list of details for the event, which has been active since at least Dec. 21, sent a different message, stating, “No Refunds.”

Eventbrite has declined to remove the event, though its guidelines include a prohibition on “misinformation.” 

Click on the link for the full story

• Haha 1